It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets talk about a decent game for once

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by FEDec

That game looks cool.... I might have to check it out. Any ideas on a release date?

Not sure but they seem to be ramping up their promotion. I am guessing early next year.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

It's not just a button masher, it is linear yes but there is alot more to the game play than (push X more than 10 times to get super combo).

Fair enough if you like them, I don't and I was just stating that.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
well I am waiting for dark souls, it comes out october 4th, in the states, I have demon souls, and it is a very cerebral, game, as oppose to you stereo typical button mashers like mw3 or bf, where a 6 year old can even push the buttons on the joystick good enough to be good.

Dark souls is a game that is how a good video game should be..

for those who have never heard of demon souls, or dark souls take a look, its hard and when you win, in that game its a real achievement...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles
reply to post by FEDec

It's not just a button masher, it is linear yes but there is alot more to the game play than (push X more than 10 times to get super combo).

Fair enough if you like them, I don't and I was just stating that.

I don't like them I don't even own a 360. I was just saying every gamer just plays monkey see monkey do with stupid reasons for disliking games these days. God forbid you can actually come up with a reason for hating a game that every game critic in the world hasn't already spoon fed you. The games you mentioned aren't any more complex or less linear than button mashers. So I don't see how you can even approach that high horse.

Ultimately it just pisses me off when people revert back to the schoolyard BS of my tamagotchi is better than your nano. They are both BS that some company sold you, get over it.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
battlefield 3 definately...im planning on getting the mw3 edition 360 for the 320 gig harddrive and i think it comes with the hardened edition of the game so mw3...deus ex looks interesting...cant wait for mass effect 3...1 and 2 were amazing....other than that..im pretty much a fps junkie lol

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
i still haven't played the first two saints row games....are they good?

Modern Warfare 3 is pretty good.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

The reason I don't like "Bayonetta" or "Dante's Inferno" is because I played the demo's.
I made my own decision on them, I never read reviews on them or ever take someone elses opinian for 100% fact, because people are different.

My best friend hates most of the games I play, but I enjoy them so I don't care if he can't see why I love the Skate series or any other.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

reply to post by FEDec

The reason I don't like "Bayonetta" or "Dante's Inferno" is because I played the demo's.
I made my own decision on them, I never read reviews on them or ever take someone elses opinian for 100% fact, because people are different.

My best friend hates most of the games I play, but I enjoy them so I don't care if he can't see why I love the Skate series or any other.

So what you came up with the "linear" comment yourself? cause I've heard about 5 million people use that to insult games they don't like. For me to believe that I would have to have proof that you had been locked in a cell with only the occasional video game popped through the door for entertainment.

My problem isn't with you not liking games I've clearly not even played myself. My problem is you seem to be happy to join the mooing masses of video gamers who use phrases like "on-rails", "button masher" and most dire of all "casual". Whenever I hear people use these phrases all I hear is "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, Im just repeating something I heard on tv/in a magazine/ on the internet/from a friend."

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by FEDec

reply to post by FEDec

So what you came up with the "linear" comment yourself? cause I've heard about 5 million people use that to insult games they don't like. For me to believe that I would have to have proof that you had been locked in a cell with only the occasional video game popped through the door for entertainment.

Yes I saw myself that it is linear, I didn't need anyone to tell me. If I knew what kind of game's they were I wouldn't have cut out 2 hours of online play time to download the demo's

My problem isn't with you not liking games I've clearly not even played myself. My problem is you seem to be happy to join the mooing masses of video gamers who use phrases like "on-rails", "button masher" and most dire of all "casual". Whenever I hear people use these phrases all I hear is "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, Im just repeating something I heard on tv/in a magazine/ on the internet/from a friend."

But that is the description of the games, An on-rail shooter is exactly that (house of the dead for example).
Button mashers exactly that, if a game requires you to smash loads of buttons to do a move, it is a button masher.
I don't get on with those kinds of games.
I view casual games as things like Guitar heroes, fifa, and many other arcade type games.
They are games that you only really get out for a group of mates. A casual gamer mainly plays those arcade type games and not too often.

Describing a linear action game as a linear action game is no different than describing Skyrim as an Action RPG. Or Gta IV a 3rd person sandbox game, or COD an FPS and so on and so on.

edit on 6-9-2011 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-9-2011 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Describing a linear action game as a linear action game is no different than describing Skyrim as an Action RPG. Or Gta IV a 3rd person sandbox game, or COD an FPS and so on and so on.

Yes it is. Because while saying "Action RPG", "3rd person sandbox" or "FPS" describes the gameplay calling something linear is describing story.

Warning : harsh language

edit on 6-9-2011 by FEDec because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

waiting patiently.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

I am not describing the story as linear.
It is the game world and challenges it provides.

Non-linear and Linear gameplay descriptions
en.wikipedia.org...

A video game with linear gameplay will confront a player with a fixed sequence of challenges. Every player sees every challenge and sees them in the same order.

The guy in your vid reminds me of James Cordon.
Bioshock I would say is Borderline Linear, you can deviate from the path to fullfil other tasks, like killing all big daddies for example.

Those 2 games that started this off Bayonetta and Dante's inferno are the epitome of linear gameplay. Once you kill everything in one area you have to move to the next to progress.

It's mainly the button mashing side that I don't like, of course most FPS's are linear (Far Cry 2 is not) and again you have to kill everyone in one area to progress (mostly) but you still get to choose from a variety of weapons how to kill them.

Linear Button mashers on the other hand will have enemies appear (maybe out of no-where or jumping from over a wall) and you have to kill them all by tapping the same button over and over or maybe you get a combination of a few buttons to push to pull off a move. It's the reason I don't buy Street Fighters or MK games, I don't want to input code to do supermove. It should be intuitive and fluid, and you can't have intuitive or fluid if you have to memorize 25 different button combo's just to kick someone in the face.

LLets take Assassins creed for example, there is a button mashing element to it, you do repeatedly tap X to attack, but in timing your presses you can do executions, and also counter moves. That is just in CQC. There is so much more variety in the game to provide fun outside that one element. I don't have to par-take in any CQC if I don't want to, they have a stealth approach or you can call in others to kill for you.

I actually learning more about myself in this convo, I suppose you could really say that I don't like games that offer only one style of gameplay, and Linear Button mashers have exactly that, sure you may unlock new combo moves but it's the same thing through the entire game. One element of gameplay.

edit on 8-9-2011 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I am not a big fan of linear games, even thou if the game is good enough, God of war, etc. etc. I can tolerate them. Anything non linear thou has the chance of losing my attention..

Why are we having a clinic on linear vs non linear, and other genre's of video games?

Lets talk about rts's now or tbs games or even tbs rts hybrids like the total war series etc. etc.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bicent76
I am not a big fan of linear games, even thou if the game is good enough, God of war, etc. etc. I can tolerate them. Anything non linear thou has the chance of losing my attention..

Why are we having a clinic on linear vs non linear, and other genre's of video games?

Lets talk about rts's now or tbs games or even tbs rts hybrids like the total war series etc. etc.

I like Red Alert 3, but find it very hard to beat online player.
I don't play many other RTS's.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by billy197300
There are plenty of old games that are alot of fun you can pick up for like 9 dollars at Game Stop...

There's STEAM too, with oodles of games for under $5 and $10 bucks that are awesome...
Everyone's heard of Braid... ? I'm addicted to it. And halfway done. Going to beat it soon.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rschmfem

Originally posted by billy197300
There are plenty of old games that are alot of fun you can pick up for like 9 dollars at Game Stop...

There's STEAM too, with oodles of games for under $5 and $10 bucks that are awesome...
Everyone's heard of Braid... ? I'm addicted to it. And halfway done. Going to beat it soon.

I thought about getting Braid because I have heard great things about it. I downloaded the demo on my Xbox and it was retarded though. Is the game better than the demo?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by billy197300

i saw somewhere that its actually a pretty twisted game that the whole game is set to be a metaphore for the main charicter being a scientist and the girl he's trying to get to or whatever is an atomic bomb..think i saw it on cracked or something i cant remember...speaking of kinda strange game..i really wanna try el shaddai

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnnygamble

i saw somewhere that its actually a pretty twisted game that the whole game is set to be a metaphore for the main charicter being a scientist and the girl he's trying to get to or whatever is an atomic bomb..think i saw it on cracked or something i cant remember...speaking of kinda strange game..i really wanna try el shaddai

I just finished Dead Space, that is a strange game. I loved every second of it. The only complaint I have is that it is a short game, took me 11 hours. Great ending, can't wait to play 2.
2nd

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

never played the dead space games...they looked interesting but eh...i watched a buddy play it and wasnt impressed...im waitin to get undead nightmare from game fly..its a blast to just goof around on..el shaddai's visuals are trippy i played the demo...looks like it was designed by someone on A LOT of lsd lol

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnnygamble

never played the dead space games...they looked interesting but eh...i watched a buddy play it and wasnt impressed...im waitin to get undead nightmare from game fly..its a blast to just goof around on..el shaddai's visuals are trippy i played the demo...looks like it was designed by someone on A LOT of lsd lol

I was thinking about getting a kinect just to play undead nightmare......that's alot of money for one game though, I may wait until more core games come out.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3 >>

join