It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best (and relatively unknown) Zombie Games for PC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Hey folks.

Felt like doing a lighthearted thread in the video game section in excitment for Dead Island coming out soon.

As I was waiting, I did a search and noticed that left 4 dead and dead rising are not the only zombie games out there (resident evil...ya, but they aren't really zombies anymore verses...plant people or some crap..donno, but after like RE2, things started going wonky)

Anyhow, wanted to discuss some gems out there now or soon to be out there that may have passed under the radar of the genre lover.

Project Zomboid:

This is a brilliant little game by some indie developers whom are seeking that "epic death" roleplay story.
The premise is...you will die. there is no happy ending, there is no save the day senario..this is the story of your last days. It may take a few hours to meet your grizzly demise, or two years later...but there is no escape.

Your task is to basically find a place, board up, and survive...this means search for food, survivors, some form of entertainment (so you don't go bonkers with depression), etc. The game is still in development..but some alpha tests are out already...and for 5 bucks, you simply can't go wrong.

Pro's:
The zombie game everyone wants roleplay wise...
Price
Entertainment value (curiously addictive to try and live)

Con's:
No save option...you will eventually die, and you will not load back to a minute before you died
Not a graphic game (not by todays standard..its not meant to be crysis though...its mental candy)
Hard payment option. You can google pay them, but for some reason, they don't have paypal up yet...it will be on steam soonish, but for now..well, either wait, torrent, or do google pay

Analysis:
Its a tuesday evening game. I expect lots coming from this, it will be fully moddable so user content will really enhance this once released..but even now its very entertaining just to see how long you can survive. Grab it or just watch its progress..and even if you torrent the alpha, do make a way to pay for it..its a tiny inde dev team and in order for more stuff like this to come along, there needs to be some financial gain to justify the time spent.

Fort Zombie

Another survive the zombie apocolypse game...this one a bit more GTA style with graphical renditions, and great cheese and easter eggs here and there.

Your task is to choose one of the three safehouses (police station, prison, or schoolhouse) and set up shop. The city is dealing with a infestation of zombies and in two weeks from start, the big city hoard will be travelling through...so, you must prepare
Every day you go out to find new survivors, or supplies (food, gas to power the generators, materials to make traps for the safe house) in preperation for the hoard. You also have a ton of different skills to work up on, be it being a good gunner, or doctor, etc...

Pros:
It is pretty much the zombie game you want it to be to an extent...halfway decent graphical layout, a good roleplay story behind it if you care to investigate more (read the peoples bios and you will see the story through the stories of the people)
Its dirt cheap if not free
Romero mod!!!

Cons:
It runs like a bag of rocks...has not been optimised..runs completely on software verses hardware which means a supercomputer will still lag out if too many zombies come
pathfinding for survivors occasionally goes wonky
seems to have stopped being updated

Analysis:
Its a fun game to play through a couple times. I recommend getting the romero mod though if you play it, it actually reduces some of the more annoying cheese and turns zombies into classic zombies verses...shooting cop zombie, football player charge zombie, jogger zombie(hate those), etc. It runs really bad though, so be prepared for some lagging and general frustration at what could have been. Also, the two weeks pass by way too quickly in my opinion...should have been a month (especially if survivors are not coming to you in droves due to you being a jerk)..Its worth the free (or next to free) cost. So ya...enjoyment factor is there...but not in droves...a somewhat fun adventure.

Mods:

Did you know GTA 4 has a couple different zombie breakout mods?
Granted, it takes a bit of work to get things up and running (some pretty basic walkthroughs to make your GTA moddable)...but here are a couple of the noteworthy ones:

GTA Mods:
Left 4 Liberty

Pros:
Lots of options, fast or slow zombies, survivors, increased population, etc
No cops, military, etc

Cons:
Bit simplistic, the GPS thing should be removed as it doesn't work very well
no cops, military, etc (they did serve as good bait to control things)

Its a fun distraction when bored but wanting some GTA action with zombies. Ahh the concept of making a GTA Zombie apocolypse..total win...wonder if anyone will ever do this!

Contagium

Pros:
Far more convincing spreading of the virus.
Fun
Police are there trying to contain the spread...

Cons:
the options dont appear to work
As with any .api mod for GTA, its not an easy install, especially since the website has a horrible install guide.

I am not sure which one is my "favorite". both seem to do what is advertised, its a zombie outbreak...it does lack a certain something though, but hey, for a free mod for a well established game, its not half bad for a few hours of wreckless violence.
Get some good music going in the background and you can pretend you are a player in world war Z

Feel free to bring up your more interesting uncoverings of zombie genre games...yes, we all know about left 4 dead...there is a bazillion articles on that...but what about that one game or mod that is epic in your opinion, yet curiously not a staplemark in any zombie game conversation?

Will be adding more as the mood hits me.
Shoot for the head

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Theres always Dead Nation!!!!

Love it!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Theres always Dead Nation!!!!

Love it!

Never heard of it

-googles-

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

i just beat the campaingn on that.....i think it may be the best zombie game ever

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Not one for zombie games, which is a good starting-into-the-horror-game-genre???

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Since this post, Dead Island was released.

It is the greatest game ever, and by far the greatest Zombie game ever. That's about all I can say.

Everyone should experience it.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

See for me Zombies only come in 2 catagories. Serious and Scary, or Stupid and Slapstick.

Yes Dead Island is great for the serious and Scary part. But for Stupid and Slapstick Dead Rising takes the crown.

I love both of these franchises and will continue to buy their products.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
But "Dead Island" is a well known, commercially released game which has had quite a bit of marketing. This thread is about relatively unknown titles. Know any?

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

Yeah my bad.

I don't really play any of the lesser known Zombie games.

Though there is one on XBL arcade, it's a bit like COD zombies were you have to build barriers to stop the zombies getting into your level. I only played the demo and can't really remember what it was called, but it was mildly entertaining.

Edit to add: I think it's called DeadBlock, and i'm now aware that this is for PC games, i'm sure you could get it for PC though.
edit on 13-9-2011 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Sounds fun.

Nobody has mentioned "Dead Frontier" yet. It's not bad. Not all that great either. But it has potential. It's a top-down online mass multiplayer game where you are a survivor hiding out in an outpost in the heart of a major city. You go out to scavenge supplies and complete quests.

I used to play it when it was in 2D, but not too long ago they switched to 3d graphics and my crappy internet connection can't handle it.

More info at:
en.wikipedia.org...

and

www.deadfrontier.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

Yes I have a file on that, quite fun but I find it hard and haven't played for a while.
Maybe try and join up sometime.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
FREE browser based game that is highly addictive.

armorgames.com...

This is the third installment of the Last Stand series. This one is really fun and addictive. Great surprise ending as well.

Searching for food, ammo, supplies. Companion who you can choose their weapons. Tons of clothing options. Bio-hazard suit, military outfits, street survivor outfits. Level up, put points into skills like lockpicking, handguns, submachine guns, rifles, special launchers, bows, nade launchers rocket launchers. Silenced weapons, TONS of melee weapons, extended mags, lightened weapons, scoped weapons...I don't want to spoil the surprise.

Best FREE game that I have played in a long time.

Check it out one awesome free zomb game.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
There's also another browser game, Sonny (the zombie).

It's also an RPG with endless amounts of leveling, there is 2 games, the first and a sequal.

You are the zombie in this one.

Can't believe I forgot about it. Well worth the time.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Chukkles because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join