It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Split brain with one half atheist and one half theist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I did a seach and I didn't find this.

What will happen to this person after death? If he totally believed in God before the surgery will God understand his dilemma and forgive him? I hope for the guy in question that God is a neuroscientist.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
I did a seach and I didn't find this.

What will happen to this person after death? If he totally believed in God before the surgery will God understand his dilemma and forgive him? I hope for the guy in question that God is a neuroscientist.

Great find. Can't believe I haven't viewed this vid before... amazing things are still happening amidst the insanity these days. Science is awesome!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

His belief won't change reality, and the reality is that we don't know ...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
But the thing is, God is love, and because love exists it is impossible not to believe in God since love is God and God is love, and therefore both brains will go to heaven.
edit on 30-8-2011 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

he's probably just married or does'nt have the gift Paul and others had

I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord: But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.
1Corinthians

But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

edit on 30-8-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Most people, including myself, can't consciously choose what to belief. It's a compulsion based on the facts we see around us, and the reasoning skills we're capable of, along with preconceived gestures influencing our perceptions.

I can't just 'choose' to believe in god. I could pretend to, but I couldn't force that the click in my psyche. So, I find it truely contradicting for a benevolent being to punish or reward me over something I can't control.

~
This is relevant mostly to some of the posts in response, but also to the guy at hand. His brains doing the same thing, just with the two sides in dissonance with each other. My question is, if 'god' can understand his problem, why couldn't he understand the rest of ours?

Originally posted by arpgme
But the thing is, God is love, and because love exists it is impossible not to believe in God since love is God and God is love, and therefore both brains will go to heaven.
edit on 30-8-2011 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

Allah's also love, so it's impossible to not believe in Allah if you believe in love.
The Giant pink unicorn is anxiety, is it impossible to disbelieve the unicorn if you know anxiety exists?
Flying spaghetti monster is contentment. If you believe in contentment, you believe in the FSM.

See how ridiculous this thinking is? I believe in love, but I don't believe it created us, did the worst acts of cruelty ever in history, wrote it in a book that contradicts a lot of known science, and that everything in said book is true. Your wordplay doesn't hold water.

But, hypothetically. If you're right. I believe in love, so do I automatically go to heaven? If this guy's non-christian half mind can't be non-christian, and thusly goes to heaven, won't we all go to heaven for believing to god, even the ones who don't?

~
Completely disregarding the religious side to this, I find this a fascinating psychological phenomena. It makes easy sense how it could happen, but it's still very interesting.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxsomexpersonxx
Most people, including myself, can't consciously choose what to belief. It's a compulsion based on the facts we see around us, and the reasoning skills we're capable of, along with preconceived gestures influencing our perceptions.

I can't just 'choose' to believe in god. I could pretend to, but I couldn't force that the click in my psyche. So, I find it truely contradicting for a benevolent being to punish or reward me over something I can't control.

~
This is relevant mostly to some of the posts in response, but also to the guy at hand. His brains doing the same thing, just with the two sides in dissonance with each other. My question is, if 'god' can understand his problem, why couldn't he understand the rest of ours?

Kind of goes with what I was thinking. Anyone can have an opinion about anything and be set on it, or more information was met and the opinion can be reversed. Being conscious of this fact can make it difficult for someone to think that their opinions, which can mark differences in personality, are all that important. What if they asked the same guy the same questions 10 years from now the same questions? His hemispheres might have flip-flopped on his answers. People do it all the time, so could he. It's still strange to see a person believe in both the existence and nonexistence in God.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

LOL.

This bloke will be burning for eternity....in heaven.
edit on 30/8/2011 by NeverForget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
The left side of the brain is logical, the right side is intuitive. In my simplistic idea, you could argue that the right side of your/the subjects brain is already imbibed with the parental or historic nature of God, while the left side analysis the known idea as it would maths or the perceived reality of daily life in a purely logical manner, and according to the current, say, scientific knowledge, or day to day knowledge which is ever changing. To reconcile things there has to be some kind of 'exotic' power between both sides of the brain that does analysis's on both sides to make some kind of comfort zone, so that things that are important to a person are carried on. Take away the 'Exotic' power by separating the brains, you take away the importance, and capacity of the brain as a whole. Just to add, I was brought up as a Christian, that is why I used the concept of God in the intuitive side, although I am not religious, nor do I think of one religion over another, but even there is a certain conflict within the comfort zone that says to me that Jesus Christ is a worthy person, while God is not even a person and in many respects not even worthy, I prefer Jesus to God, even if Jesus's message is for us all to believe in God.

edit on 30-8-2011 by smurfy because: Text.

new topics

top topics

join