It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima worker with no health problems dies of Leukemia after working there one week!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
40-year-old Fukushima radiation worker dies of acute leukemia after working at plant for week — Checkup showed no prior health problems

Tokyo, Aug. 30 (Jiji Press)--Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Tuesday that a man in his 40s who had worked to help contain the radiation crisis at the firm's crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant has died of acute leukemia. The total radiation doses the worker received at the plant stood at 0.5 millisievert, TEPCO officials said, adding that the worker's death has nothing to do with his work at the nuclear plant in northeastern Japan, which suffered serious damage from the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

The man worked at the Fukushima plant for seven days from early August. His jobs included radiation exposure management, the officials said..

He became ill and was hospitalized after finishing the seven-day work. TEPCO received a report of his death on Aug. 16, the officials said.

A medical checkup prior to his work at the plant showed no problems in his health. He suffered no internal radiation exposure, the officials said.

I suppose the leukemia was a coincidence! How unhappy for poor Tepco! Getting blamed for everything! BTW, have they found those 198 workers yet, anybody know? Maybe they should check behind the fridge... if you loose something it's almost always there.

edit on 30-8-2011 by Wertwog because: added something

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Man, R.I.P for a Earth Angel taking hits for the Earth/FAMILY/YOU. My respects and condolences to his friends and family.

LOVE

edit on 8/30/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It says in the article that Tepco said it had nothing to do with his work at the plant. So it must not.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Go with the opposite of anything a corporation tells you, and you will be closer to the truth than you are believing them. It's all coincidences, get sick at your company and see how fast they deny any liability for your injuries. Ask all the people waiting 1-2 years for a disability claim to get approved if they believe what corporations tell them.... those that worked for one that is.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I don't believe a single statement TEPCO releases. This man is dead after working at a failed nuclear plant which has been veiled in secrecy since the earthquake. There is no coincidence.

They want us to believe he developed leukemia and died in a matter of weeks??? I call bs..

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Truly a shame... how sad for his family and for the families that have loved ones working at this site.

...and this is probably one of many stories that we will never hear about.

Prayers to Japan

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Not surprised a little bit. Its strange we dont get more reports like this one, guess the blackout-censoring is working. So he was fine before, now after a week he dies of leukemia, and its not related to the plant...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Rest in peace.

We all owe this man and people like him, truly we do. I really do hope with all my heart something comes a long and puts an end to this ...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
It is a bald face LIE, Has anyone seen this kind of ongoing exposure on a populace ever in history, Cherynobyl they EVACUATED, hundreds of miles away, that island isn't that large, common sense says we are being lied to daily about what is going on in Japan. It is sad. there isn't any kind of easy solution to the problem. It is horrible. The impact is going to be greater than we think.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

This might be the first instance of radiation induced cancer since the accident. I had a feeling it was bound to happen eventually, but so quick?

I can only imagine how bad it will get. I bet the scumbags running the show will cover it up too. I always get sad when I think about what is happening in Japan. It has global consequences, not just local. For the good of everyone, I hope this is a coincidence and not radiation induced. Chances are that this is most likely from the radiation. Millions of people living on a radio active waste land can only lead to bad things. My condolences go out to this man's family and to anyone else who will lose someone due to this disaster.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Great post! Now that we've got the first little bit, I'm waiting on the flood of people to come to the light in reporting their disease.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
At least the russian government capped off their reactor in an expediant amount of time. But instead they let it sit and spew more(out of 3 reactors mind you, not one). So in saving several thousand workers of over exposure the whole planet now has to suffer with them now too.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
reply to post by Wertwog

Great post! Now that we've got the first little bit, I'm waiting on the flood of people to come to the light in reporting their disease.

I think that will be a massive game of connect the dots and it never quite gets to look anything like a Tepco logo.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Normally I'm very skeptical of these types of stories, but I've watched the radiation readings at Fukushima from Japan's own reporting agency and the numbers have been insanely high. Yet they keep sending those poor guys in there with little more than silicon gloves and a cotton mask on. They tape "protective" paper up all over the place in the buildings to give them a false sense of security. The whole thing stinks to high heaven of corporate whitewashing. Now an otherwise healthy man drops dead shortly after doing a stint at Fukushima, I don't think it's the last such story we'll hear (assuming the government doesn't black out the media).

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
His death had nothing to do with his work? How stupid do they think people really are? I mean come on...Healthy before starting the work, then spent a week exposed to the effects of radiation, develops symptoms immediately afterward, then is diagnosed with acute leukemia, and dies five months later...It makes me want to laugh...Not the fact that he died of cancer, but because of the statement issued in response to his death.

There is no way this is coincidence, and I am sure most doctors would agree with me here. Ridiculous in my opinion. I don't know which is worse...the fact that there is radiation everywhere, or the fact that the company continues to lie about it.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
EX-SKF reports this additional info....

Additional information from Mainichi (8/30/2011):

The worker was in his 40s. At Fukushima I, his work included manning the rest area and radiation control of the workers. There was no abnormal reading of white blood cells before he started to work at Fukushima I. He worked for about a week in August, and fell ill. He was diagnosed with acute leukemia, and died at the hospital. His company reported his death to TEPCO on August 16.

TEPCO's Matsumoto emphasized that the death was a private matter, and TEPCO had no intention of investigating it further now that the doctor denied any relationship between the death and the work at Fukushima I.

Well, now that the doctor denied any relationship, Tepco can consider it money well spent! "Hey doctor, that's a very nice new car you got there"....."ah... thanks"........ Sorry, was that just a weee bit catty? MEOOOOW!
edit on 31-8-2011 by Wertwog because: added something

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
EX-SKF reports this additional info....

Additional information from Mainichi (8/30/2011):

The worker was in his 40s. At Fukushima I, his work included manning the rest area and radiation control of the workers. There was no abnormal reading of white blood cells before he started to work at Fukushima I. He worked for about a week in August, and fell ill. He was diagnosed with acute leukemia, and died at the hospital. His company reported his death to TEPCO on August 16.

TEPCO's Matsumoto emphasized that the death was a private matter, and TEPCO had no intention of investigating it further now that the doctor denied any relationship between the death and the work at Fukushima I.

Well, now that the doctor denied any relationship, Tepco can consider it money well spent! "Hey doctor, that's a very nice new car you got there"....."ah... thanks"........ Sorry, was that just a weee bit catty? MEOOOOW!
edit on 31-8-2011 by Wertwog because: added something

You have to be friggin' kiddin' me...

edit on 31-8-2011 by Juanxlink because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Are any of the Boss's working at Fuku. Do they actually enter the site?
Do they live in fear and terror?
Hopefully 1 day we can all jump for joy when the Tepco boss's start having nose bleeds, immense pain and a death filled with shame and horror.
Obviously they can't say that this worker died from conditions at Fuku. They wouldn't get anyone to work there again.

edit on 31-8-2011 by sussy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
No. The latency of radiation induced cancers is measured in years, not months. And that's for it to appear, not to kill. Radiation sickness can kill that quickly, not radiation induced cancer.

Leukemia rates among Hiroshima and Nagasaki survivors were elevated beginning five years after the 1945 bombings, reaching a peak ten years after.

Even at relatively low doses, irradiated adults are at greater risk for cancer just several years after exposure. A peak of chronic myeloid leukemia incidence was observed 6-10 years after Xrays to the back, gastrointestinal tract, and kidneys.

Mormon families in Utah living directly downwind of atmospheric nuclear weapons tests in Nevada were found to have significantly higher incidence of all cancers combined and certain radiosensitive tumors 7-15 years after the tests began. (14) Four to five years after the Chernobyl accident, thyroid cancer among adults in the Czech Republic and Poland increased. (15-16)

www.case-fl.org...
edit on 8/31/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No. The latency of radiation induced cancers is measured in years, not months. And that's for it to appear, not to kill. Radiation sickness can kill that quickly, not radiation induced cancer.
[...snip]

So the upshot of what you are saying Phage is, "yes, Betty, this is a coincidence" and it might have been from a back X-ray he had like, 6 years ago, and suddenly he starts working at the nuke plant and develops acute leukemia instantaneously (remember his white blood cell counts were normal before he started working). It just so happens he's working in the most highly radioactive sites in the world.

That said....you are on to something. In addition to what you cited...

Radiation. Exposure to high doses of radiation causes leukemia by inducing DNA damage through translocations (Kamada N et al 1987). Population studies show a link between radiation exposure from nuclear testing between 1951 and 1962 in the United States and the onset of leukemia (Archer VE 1987; Johnson CJ 1984). The incidence of leukemia was high in the United States in the years during and immediately after the nuclear testing. Utah showed high increases (up to five times the norm) in leukemia rates, which persisted as late as the 1980s (Archer VE 1987; Johnson CJ 1984). Exposure to radiation is linked to acute and myeloid leukemia in children (Archer VE 1987). The association between radiation exposure and leukemia was noted in survivors of the atomic bomb in Japan (Ichimaru M et al 1991) and in people who lived near the nuclear reactors in the Chernobyl disaster of 1986 (Noshchenko AG et al 2002). Leukemia caused by radiation typically appears 10 years after exposure (Tilyou SM 1990).
Source

Acute radiation poisoning would be more likely, however, if this is a coincidence it's extremely BIZARRE and leaves the question, why were his white blood cells normal before working... Speculation and improbable, but could the radiation on the site have triggered a latent leukemia in his bone marrow? Somehow I doubt it.
edit on 31-8-2011 by Wertwog because: check for black-hole droppings

top topics

<<   2 >>

join