It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New depiction of light could boost telecommunications channels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
There have been ideas put before the telecommunications community on finding new ways to bend light for "More, Faster, Better" but the problem has been how to map the already existing paths to implement such theoretical technology it seem that New York CITY college system has cracked just that problem...Take that MIT!
www.sciencedaily.com...

the Institute of Ultrafast Spectroscopy and Lasers (IUSL) at The City College of New York have presented a new way to map spiraling light that could help harness untapped data channels in optical fibers. Increased bandwidth would ease the burden on fiber-optic telecommunications networks taxed by an ever-growing demand for audio, video and digital media. The new model, developed by graduate student Giovanni Milione, Professor Robert Alfano and colleagues, could even spur enhancements in quantum computing and other applications

Until now, only the simplest form of light, the ground state, could be mapped and controlled. Multiple higher channels in an optical fiber, which could be occupied by more complex light, were left sitting idle.

This is great news for a great many industries, me im so base all I care about is my gaming speed!!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
laser.physics.sunysb.edu...

Giovanni Milione, is straight and clear just like what hes studying
No frills Biography of the Grad student involved linked above.

And here is the Info On Distinguished Prof Robert Alfano
forum.sci.ccny.cuny.edu...

Applause Gentleman
Thank you for the brilliant look at Light and its defining characteristics as a data transfer and storage medium!
edit on 12/08/11 by LanternOfDiogenes because: Proper names..Proper names..

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LanternOfDiogenes

Sounds a bit like when they first invented ADSL, and realised that the higher frequency ranges of a digital medium not utilized by voice could be used to transmit data.

join