It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Ugly? You May Have a Case.

page: 2
7
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant
 


I believe "ugly" is who a person is, not how they look. I've been in a position of hiring before, and I can tell you honestly that I couldn't care less what a person looks like, what color they are, age, sex, religion, shoe size...if they are right for the job, they get hired. A pretty face doesn't mean jack squat to me, because if they're pretty but smart as a box of rocks they'll just be a hindrance.

I'd have a department full of yard gnomes as long as they can do what I need them to do.

/TOA




posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I think ugliness is the natural selection process. People who are ugly tend to not reproduce, simply for the fact that no one will have sex with them.. Right?

Of course there are aberrations.. like doing the fugly girl when you're playing wing man to your best bud.. or that camping trip where the only peice of pie was in the weird chick's tent, who's parent happened to be gone all weekend and was loaded with free booze.. even the fat chick you didn't think was THAT fat even though all your buddies were laughing at you the whole night... you did it ayways didn't you!?

Think about it.. who gets some? Pretty people do pretty people and sometimes dip into the average pool. Average people tend to stik to their averageness, although some will be lucky enough to snag a pretty people while others will end up dipping down into the fuglies bucket for self esteem.. Fuglies do other fuglies.. they cannot strive for average or pretty. Unless they can pay.



posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by The Old American
 


I think ugliness is on the inside. It describes a persons character better than their looks which are totally subjective.
Homeliness is on the outside though people overcome homeliness with other attributes to make up for it. A Porsche, large breasts, winning personality or a helpful nature. Sometimes you just have to hang with people who have poor eyes.
Of course I am being absurd...If ugly is a handicap then thinning hair and flat chests are too.


I used to get so aggravated when i'd have a falling out with a guy and then someone would say "what in the world did you break up with him for?!... He was CUTE!"


ok, yeah... thanks for assuming I'm that superficial and hey, why don't you go jump on that if you like him so much... THEN you'll know.


I mean really, how are you going to dive into a shallow pool?
That aint nothing but to splash around in.



posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by blahandblahandyadayada2
reply to post by Death_Kron
 


In my experience, I have applied for positions being what is considered ugly ...when I am 20lbs plus overweight and when I was considered beautiful when I was not...both times dressed professionally and resume and experience did not alter... and more times than not when I am considered... so deemed beautiful.. I get the job. Not fair but it is what it is.


My apologies, that's obviously not fair is it?

At the end of the day, you should be rewarded with a job dependant on your skill level and experience rather than your physical appearance, granted some jobs focus on more the way someone looks than their ability to carry out their occupation successfully but that's the way things roll unfortunately...



posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iiquiringmind
I think ugliness is the natural selection process. People who are ugly tend to not reproduce, simply for the fact that no one will have sex with them.. Right?

Of course there are aberrations.. like doing the fugly girl when you're playing wing man to your best bud.. or that camping trip where the only peice of pie was in the weird chick's tent, who's parent happened to be gone all weekend and was loaded with free booze.. even the fat chick you didn't think was THAT fat even though all your buddies were laughing at you the whole night... you did it ayways didn't you!?

Think about it.. who gets some? Pretty people do pretty people and sometimes dip into the average pool. Average people tend to stik to their averageness, although some will be lucky enough to snag a pretty people while others will end up dipping down into the fuglies bucket for self esteem.. Fuglies do other fuglies.. they cannot strive for average or pretty. Unless they can pay.






HUH? a lot of people are SCARED of the ones they think are pretty. I know PLENTY of very pretty but kinda lonely people. Sometimes people just ASSUME you are a self obsessed jerk at first sight... and very often those who many might see as less than average have ten kids running around the yard.



posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iiquiringmind
I think ugliness is the natural selection process. People who are ugly tend to not reproduce, simply for the fact that no one will have sex with them.. Right?


Yeah, because its not like "ugliness" is shared between both men and women.


Do people with lower education never reproduce because they can't attract people with PhDs? They reproduce, and a lot more than the more educated people. I've heard, as well as others I'm sure, "ugly" parents have been shown to have better looking kids than good looking parents.
edit on 30-8-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackSatinDancer

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by The Old American
 


I think ugliness is on the inside. It describes a persons character better than their looks which are totally subjective.
Homeliness is on the outside though people overcome homeliness with other attributes to make up for it. A Porsche, large breasts, winning personality or a helpful nature. Sometimes you just have to hang with people who have poor eyes.
Of course I am being absurd...If ugly is a handicap then thinning hair and flat chests are too.


I used to get so aggravated when i'd have a falling out with a guy and then someone would say "what in the world did you break up with him for?!... He was CUTE!"


ok, yeah... thanks for assuming I'm that superficial and hey, why don't you go jump on that if you like him so much... THEN you'll know.


I mean really, how are you going to dive into a shallow pool?
That aint nothing but to splash around in.


My sister-in-law was really bad about that. I was at a restaurant with my wife and her, and our waiter was an Australian fellow. He wasn't particularly handsome, pretty average actually. But as soon as he opened his mouth you'd have thought a Greek god was standing there from her point of view! And she'd say "oh God that accent makes him SO cute!" When I asked her to actually look at the guy and tell me what made him more good-looking than this guy at the table next to us (which, from my point of view, and I'm a straight guy, was pretty damned good-looking) she asked me, "Where is he from?"

sigh

/TOA



posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Ok , so, according to some posters here on ATS, if you're ugly, you're probably not smart, and if you're pretty, you're probably smart...

Then, i might say it, im damn fugly, and probably smarter than those posters


PS: my wife worked for 10 years as a model, so maybe she is insane , by marrying a fugly guy like me


PPS: this guy on the picture is my friend Otto, most of you might find him ugly, but he actualy own different degrees, and none the less , a degree in mathematics, call him stupid



edit on 30-8-2011 by AnonymousVan because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
reply to post by newcovenant
 


I believe "ugly" is who a person is, not how they look. I've been in a position of hiring before, and I can tell you honestly that I couldn't care less what a person looks like, what color they are, age, sex, religion, shoe size...if they are right for the job, they get hired. A pretty face doesn't mean jack squat to me, because if they're pretty but smart as a box of rocks they'll just be a hindrance.

I'd have a department full of yard gnomes as long as they can do what I need them to do.

/TOA


This is what subjective means. I think I would, and in fact did, agree with you.
Kudos for the philosophy though. I think it is a good one.



posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousVan
Ok , so, according to some posters here on ATS, if you're ugly, you're probably not smart, and if you're pretty, you're probably smart...

Then, i might say it, im damn fugly, and probably smarter than those posters


PS: my wife worked for 10 years as a model, so maybe she is insane , by marrying a fugly guy like me


No she did that so she wouldn't have to worry about you cheating on her.

Nobody is gonna want YOU until they get to know you and by that time she will have a chance to catch them before they strike. Your wife is pretty smart.



posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousVan
 


If you live long enough you learn not to judge people on clothing or personal style. Otto looks like a very interesting guy. I have a nephew who is a gentle giant. A humble passive vegetarian computer geek who minds his own business and would rather not go in public because he is painfully shy. Every time we go through an airport they pull him out of line because he likes dark clothing and he is large and has a long beard. If they spoke to him for a minute they could easily gauge his personality because his voice betrays his personality where as his appearance contradicts it.



posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant
 


dont worry, im not judging him, i was just makin a parallelism about the concept of beauty for some people on ATS.

For some people here, we have:

Ugly=stupid and shouldnt reproduce
Pretty= smart and should disseminate in the genepool

My friend on the picture is not usualy saw as "pretty" by the usual societal norm, but in my eyes, i think he is a nice person



posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousVan
PPS: this guy on the picture is my friend Otto, most of you might find him ugly, but he actualy own different degrees, and none the less , a degree in mathematics, call him stupid


Otto doesn't strike me as being particularly ugly. He could probably use a new barber, though.


I don't think that people tend to link looks to intelligence. In fact, it could be argued - especially in the case of women - that the inverse is true. How many times do you hear good-looking women casually dismissed as ''air-heads'', ''bimbos'' or just ''ditzy'' ?

I have heard some above-average looking women lamenting the fact that people don't take them seriously on an intellectual level, with some even going so far as to intentionally dress frumpily and consciously adopting a more demure look.

Some of the most powerful and influential men in history haven't exactly been oil paintings. Just take a look at prominent scientists, for example; Albert Einstein wasn't exactly a smouldering hunk, now was he ?



edit on 30-8-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousVan
 


I get it. And you are right. People are often mischaracterized and it is wrong. It is almost instinct though. I think some psychological tests prove it and have met people I have to make a conscious effort not to cringe in front of. I brought up physiognomy in another thread and my point there was: Some of these people, you can almost see them coming. Here are some ugly mug shots and kind of illustrate the point. Physiognomy is an interesting science.
"Mug Shots that will make you Crap your Pants"
entertainment.wagerweb.com...



posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousVan
 



he looks like someone i'd like to sit by a campfire and have a late night into early morning convo with


Me?
I'll take someone who's 'ugly' on the outside over someone who's 'ugly' on the inside any day ...

the former typically has nothing to hide ... is open, honest and genuine

while the latter spends most of their time tripping over themselves and their words trying to avoid any sort of revealing slip up. :shk:


color me fugly



posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I'm no beauty queen (or should that be king because I'm a guy?) but, I'm not ugly enough to claim benefits either. I'm what you would call average, I guess.

The thing is; if the beautiful people have their natural advantages and the ugly people get their "protected class" privileges, that will leave the regular, ordinary plain looking people at the disadvantage.

Employers will naturally hire the beautiful people because they make the company look good and then they will be forced to hire the uglys to balance things out to keep the gubment off their backs. This will leave the ordinary people out on the streets and out of luck.


How long before the ordinary people start demanding that they too should be classified as a "protected class"?



new topics

top topics



 
7
<< 1   >>

log in

join