It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Bell Peppers Stuffed with Mushroom Risotto

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I usually don't post two recipes a day, but a fellow member influenced me to post this.

Risotto is delicious and much simpler than you may think. It just takes some patience and attention. Put love into your food, and your food will love you back.

This recipe is fairly lengthy in time, simple, but time consuming. I would suggest making the stock the day before unless you have the day off and are just hanging around the house.And, as usual, use as many vegetables from your own garden or from a local farmer/farmer's market.

Mushroom stock:
2 carrots, chopped in 1/2 in cubes
1 onion, chopped 1/2 in cubes
4 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
1/2 lb mushroom stems
3 cups Sherry
Water

Take 1-1 /2 lbs porcini mushrooms and pick the stems from the caps.In a large stock pot (large home stock pot, not restaurant large) caramelize the mirepoix (carrots, onion, celery) then add the mushroom stems. Add the sherry and cook the alcohol off. Fill the pot with water, let simmer for until it reduces to a little more than half(this will take a couple of hours)

Stuffed peppers: (for 2)

1 large red bell pepper, hollowed and deseeded
1 1/2 cup arborio rice
4 oz shallots (or onion), chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz mushroom caps, sliced
3 oz freshly grated parmesan cheese
approx. 1 pint mushroom stock (hot)
4 tbsp salted butter

In a large saute pan (the large surface area is necessary) sweat the shallots and garlic in 2 tbsp butter. Add the arborio and fold the rice in until all the grains are evenly coated in the butter. Add about 1/2 cup of stock and stir, stir, stir. Stir until the rice has absorbed the stock, then add another 1/2 cup of stock. Continue this process, constantly stirring, until the rice is al dente. Add the mushrooms, and stir until they begin to soften, then add the parmesan cheese and remaining butter. The risotto should be nice and creamy but should still be slightly al dente.

Rub the red pepper with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and fill with the risotto. Place in a 350 degree oven and cook until the peppers soften. Serve with some basic grilled vegetables or over a bed of pasta with garlic and olive oil.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I love Peppers!!!
I find it a great benefit that peppers have more Vitamin C than Oranges
Bells having twice the amount Reds have three times the amount!
en.wikipedia.org...
And My beloved Habaneros and Jalapenos 375x the amount of vitamin C vs Oranges!
en.wikipedia.org...

Peppers are good for you, and they have kept away the cold and flu from me imo for years! thanks for the recipe!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Yes, habaneros are amazing. If you ever want to experience an amazing food "high", put a habanero or two in a coffee grinded and grind them (destemmed, keep the seeds) until it's almost a puree. Swallow a tablespoon of it. Your body's reaction is amazing. As long as you don't puke from it, the physical reaction is very intense. It starts as a tingle in my scalp, then making me sweat, clears the sinuses, and moves down my body in a tingling fashion and seems to bring a brief clarity to all of my senses. It's an almost spiritual experience, especially when you get into the even hotter peppers.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sleepypoet

Del Oros and Ghost Peppers! Purple mini Jalas seem to have a good heat to them too versus their size.. as for the "high" of which you speak, I have experienced and enjoy that feeling... a lot, people think i'm nuts eating raw peppers and non of the regular folk I hang out with can do it, except a few old vaqueros I occasionally get together with..they can eat more than I do... wow! stiiiinnnggg ring!

ooo hey side note really like the end quote you have...I tell my kid that whenever she gets afraid in the night!
edit on 12/08/11 by LanternOfDiogenes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I'm confused. Stuffed peppers: (for 2)

1 large red bell pepper, hollowed and deseeded
1 1/2 cup arborio rice
4 oz shallots (or onion), chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz mushroom caps, sliced
3 oz freshly grated parmesan cheese
approx. 1 pint mushroom stock (hot)
4 tbsp salted butter

One stuffed red bell pepper is supposed to serve two people? I could eat two stuffed peppers on my own? Should I double the entire recipe? Would I have to double the recipe for the stock too?
edit on 13-9-2011 by Xaberz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaberz

I may be speaking out of line here--OP correct me if I'm wrong-- but each person gets a half *stuffed*.

Sounds yummy and filling.

And if 1/2 isn't enough for yee, then you must be American like me

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Never mind. I am just going to go by the recipe and see how it turns out. The porcini in the sherry smells good so far!

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Baking the peppers now.

The rice looks really really dark, kind of weird.

But anyway, I used the leftover stock (avec onion, carrot, celery, and porcini) to make a cream of mushroom soup.

Just added two more tablespoons of butter.
two cups of milk
two heaping tablespoons of flour
two heaping tablespoons of nutritional yeast
tablespoon of black pepper
tablespoon of garlic
tablespoon of parmesan cheese
bit of sea salt
bit of cumin
bit of dill

And OMG The soup is delicious!!! HAHA, and so easy. Still 10 minutes on the peppers and we'll see.
I tried cooking them for 30 minutes to see what they turn out like.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Okay, updating my status my third and final time.

The soup is amazing. Especially with bread. Dip bread in the soup. It's heavenly!

The pepper my boyfriend LOVES! He's like mmm mmm mmm on every bite. He can't get over it. He was like, do we have enough ingredients to make this again. Haha, he wants more already.

I didn't care much for the pepper, sorry to say. All I can taste is the butter. It's so overpowering, and no wonder with four tablespoons of butter. I think I'll make this again, but only use two tablespoons of butter instead of four. I bet it would taste a lot better that way!

Thanks for the recipe! It was a success. I liked the soup, and he liked the pepper. We still have leftover porcini, and I'm gonna make pasta with garlic and oil and herbs like you said and throw the leftover porcini in there. Woohoo! We're having mushrooms pretty much all week! haha.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I love stuffed peppers!

You also have two of my other favorites in these, mushrooms and risotto!!

These sounds very good and I like to cook things all day so this sounds like something I will have to try. I just have to get some rice and mushrooms. I have everything else

Thanks for posting. I Like trying other members recipes

top topics

join