It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATF Director Reassigned; U.S. Attorney Out Amid 'Fast and Furious' Uproar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

ATF Director Reassigned; U.S. Attorney Out Amid 'Fast and Furious' Uproar

www.foxnews.com

Acting ATF Director Kenneth Melson has been reassigned to a lesser post in the Justice Department and the U.S. attorney for Arizona was also pushed out Tuesday as fallout from Operation Fast and Furious reached new heights.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.npr.org
www.politico.com

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
NOOOO I want to see Video of these guys getting Tasered!!!!

Melson's step down from his role as head of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to the position of senior adviser on forensic science

Minnesota's top federal prosecutor, B. Todd Jones, was hand picked to replace Melson and to serve as the bureau's acting director.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Emory Hurley, who oversaw Fast and Furious on a day-to-day basis, was reassigned from the criminal to civil division.

BUT....

Hurley's reassignment came after three ATF supervisors responsible for the operation were promoted. William G. McMahon, a former deputy director of operations, took over the Office of Professional Responsibility. Field supervisors William D. Newell and David Voth also moved up despite heavy criticism.

What No arrests????

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) voiced dismay that Melson has been reassigned and not forced to step down. Holder, he said, should have requested Melson’s resignation and “come clean on all alleged gun-walking operations.”

Damn it I still want to see one of these guys TASERED... maybe fox can work on that for me...

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This not a victory for sure. No arrest, no responsibility even though they were caught red handed. Worse he's not leaving the Beast he's just moving offices.

He is headed to the Office of Legal Policy. Terrific....

edit on 8/30/2011 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

I suppose he's going to try to work out how to make what he did a legal policy so he can avoid any future consequence.
edit on 8/30/2011 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

These agents hid their dirty dealings from the Mexican president and the Mexican police. They hid them from America’s ambassador to Mexico. And, according to President Barack Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder, the agents hid everything from them, too... time will tell...

these guys cost people their lives... they should be headed for prison for accessory before during and after the fact... not given some cushy job so they can still get their retirement...

Someone borrow me a Taser... I'll do it myself...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
So...ATF Director gets promoted to Advisory position in the Justice Department because he's caught in a conspiracy resulting in the deaths of U.S. Law Enforcement Officers - the most violent form of obstruction of justice.

Makes sense to me! The Obama Administration is as corrupt, if not more, as the Bush Administration.
edit on 8/30/2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I should preface my remarks... I am no bush supporter..our last real pres was prob kennedy..anyway

I can't even imagine all the self righteous blowhard dummy liberals that would've had no end to the field day had Bush been pres over this clusterfudge...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Just another shameful act by the ATF.

This man should be at least fired.

In my opinion he should be indicted.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Give weapons to terrorists... thousands of them... and these aren't the BS ``terrorists`` they talk about on the news... they are not goat herders in Afghanistan. They are crazy bastards on drugs, cutting heads off just to send a message. They kill whoever they want. They bought most of the cops and the army. They are former special forces. They kidnap tourists and make them fight to death for fun. 13 years old working for them have already several murders under their belt... these are hardcore nujobs.

If you are a normal person and do this, you go to Guantanamo, get tortured till you die of natural causes or ``an accident`` happens...

But if you are a politician and do the same thing, it's alright. You keep a job, even if it's a lower position... and you don't go to jail, or pay any fine.

The best thing to be in America is being a politician. You can never go to jail. You can never pay a fine. You will always make money off the taxpayers. You are immune to all laws.

The new American dream is not to become rich, it's to become a politician. That way, you are invincible.
edit on 30-8-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
That was just the BATF side of the deal, the CIA was in on this too and was probably their idea. We won't even get to watch them play musical chairs.

Less than a decade ago there were four major cartels in Mexico. Any idea how many today? By arming them, setting them to battle each other, take out the cartel leaders and let the lieutenants battle for top dog or branch-off with their own organization the whole mess is growing. The US is obviously using these means to shoehorn themselves into Mexico government.

Calderón was too easy. Swing a close election away from the actual winner and give it to Felipe to make him a US puppet. He has hook, lined, and sinkered every plan the US comes along with. We now have prescriptions required for medicines that were for decades sold over-the-counter here. Anything to make another buck at the expense of our well-being. Yay Drug War!

edit on 30-8-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
www.borderlandbeat.com...

Washington Times journalists Robert Farago and Ralph Dixon cite a “CIA insider” to make the claim that Operation Fast and Furious was a Central Intelligence Agency-orchestrated program to arm the Sinaloa drug cartel, a group that was also given the green light to fly tons of coc aine into the United States.

“In congressional testimony, William Newell, former ATF special agent in charge of the Phoenix Field Division, testified that the Internal Revenue Service, Drug Enforcement Administration and Immigration and Customs Enforcement were “full partners” in Operation Fast and Furious. Mr. Newell’s list left out the most important player: the CIA. According to a CIA insider, the agency had a strong hand in creating, orchestrating and exploiting Operation Fast and Furious,” report Farago and Nixon.

The program, with its designated cover of tracking where guns went so drug lords who purchased them could later be arrested downstream, was actually a deliberate effort to prevent the Los Zetas drug cartel from staging a successful coup d’etat against the government of Felipe Calderon by arming rival gang Sinaloa, according to the Times writers, a relationship that extended to “(allowing) the Sinaloas to fly a 747 cargo plane packed with coc aine into American airspace – unmolested.”

“The CIA made sure the trade wasn’t one-way. It persuaded the ATF to create Operation Fast and Furious – a “no strings attached” variation of the agency’s previous firearms sting. By design, the ATF operation armed the Mexican government’s preferred cartel on the street level near the American border, where the Zetas are most active,” states the report.

Seems the US was caught arming the lessor of two evils in order to fight a greater foe the ZETAs. This is the same tactics being used in the Middle East. And the US even put the diplomat from Afganistan in charge of Mexico. They are even using private contractors in Mexico. (Blackwater)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I think the american people need to sit down a few hours and think things over.

Why would the american government give weapons to the mexican drug lords
a)gun lobby wants more cash from more guns sold
b)they want the drug lords to kill each other
c)they want to destabilise mexico so more illegals flow into america and take more american paid jobs

I pick c for the correct answer. Justification is gun lobby isn't desperate sell arms because they sell plenty to americans anyway. Can't be b because its pointless to replace one gang for another gang and besides poor job opportunities in mexico will eventually force more mexicans to be gangbangers, thus blood spilled for the most evil of reasons---TO DESTABILISE AMERICA!

Being dismissed, asked to resign and transferred are quite different each. You seldom hear anyone getting dismissed(like in the movies) because they are all buddy-buddy-ASSbuddies and friends don't turn on friends.

The corruption is way out-of-control and the global PTB will use it as an excuse to force the one world currency and later on perhaps an official global dictatorship....sorry I meant government! No one is indicted of anything since no charges are pressed, hell the investigation itself is a non-event put on just for a laugh or two at everyone else's expense. They should be in trial facing conspiracy to commit treason charges and IF found guilty summarily executed by firing squad with full tv coverage.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Why would the american government give weapons to the mexican drug lords
a)gun lobby wants more cash from more guns sold
b)they want the drug lords to kill each other
c)they want to destabilise mexico so more illegals flow into america and take more american paid jobs

MISSING reason:
d) so they can make it appear that the gun control laws (not consistently enforced) in the US are insufficient to prevent ILLEGAL STRAW PURCHASES from making their way into the hands of drug dealers in Mexico.

Hence, border states FFL dealers are already being ordered by ATF to file reports for LEGAL sales of semi-auto rifles (more than one) in border states. All without congressional approval to bypass the 2nd amendment.

The Straw purchases, already illegal under federal law, were conducted with the full knowledge of the ATF and other agencies. What other reason could there be for such a total LEO fail??? Maybe something like "Able Danger" before 9/11???

Please wake up fellow citizens. We are being thought of as very dumb, and these (among others) are govt. executive branch actions that prove it.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

It gets better even:

But the notion that Fast and Furious was solely an effort to isolate the Los Zetas cartel isn’t consistent with the fact that one of the gang’s kingpins recently told Mexican federal police that the group purchased its weapons directly from U.S. government officials inside America.

“They are bought in the U.S. The buyers (on the U.S. side of the border) have said in the past that sometimes they would acquire them from the U.S. Government itself,” Rejón Aguilar told police.

As we reported years ago, former DEA agent Cele Castillo has blown the whistle on how the US government controls the Los Zetas drug smuggling gang and uses it as the front group for their narco-empire.

With the gang having first been trained at the infamous School of the Americas in Fort Benning, Georgia, Castillo affirms that Los Zetas are still working for the US government in protecting drug routes to keep the wheels of Wall Street well-oiled. Castillo has gone on the record to state that the commandos are working directly for the US government drug cartel in carrying out hits on rival drug smugglers who aren’t paying their cut.

How much fluoride do they think they're putting in our water anyway? We are expected to buy some really wild tales these days, no questions asked. The CIA is arming the Sinaloa Cartel in order to fight the Zetas and thereby prevent a coup against the Mexican government?? Yeah, right. We arm their criminal organizations in order to keep the legitimate Mexican government from being overthrown. If I tried to sell a novel with a plot like that the publisher would throw me out on my backside. Hilarious!

edit on 30-8-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

As always, "La Plaza" must work on both sides of the border, and go high enough up the ladder to keep profits, politicians and kingpins safe. Weapons are just one aspect and now they are punishing the fall guys for Fast & Furious in public. Most likely only because an ICE agent got killed with one of their planted weapons.

Just like the occasional bust at the border while all the other goodies come through unmolested.
Like Mena, Homestead etc...
edit on 30-8-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1SawSomeThings
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

As always, "La Plaza" must work on both sides of the border, and go high enough up the ladder to keep profits, politicians and kingpins safe. Weapons are just one aspect and now they are punishing the fall guys for Fast & Furious in public. Most likely only because an ICE agent got killed with one of their planted weapons.

Just like the occasional bust at the border while all the other goodies come through unmolested.
Like Mena, Homestead etc...
edit on 30-8-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: (no reason given)

Who is getting punished? All I see is a public relations stunt to appease the masses who keep up with events.

Yes I do think the corruption, not only goes all the way to the top, but politicians are being used as pawns for the super wealthy to import drugs and export weapons. America and russia relly on weapon exportation for a major part of thier gross domestic product and that does not include the black market. The black market profits go unreported and thus untaxed because the government classifies anything it wants under the pretense of national security.

Call me crazy but I believe it all begins and ends in masonry lodges. Its unfathomable how the DEA(Drug Enforcement Agency) says one thing and does another. Ironic is an understatement. Mexican officials must also be in know and I am talking about spaniards.

Do people forget what happened to noreiga when he threatened to nationalise the panama canal and demanded a bigger cut from the narco trade? He had a lot of asshole buddies on the yacht he frequented with those visiting cia guys. When the SHTF USA dropped him and helped his rivals overthrow him despite the fact he was an "american boy" all along.

The world is NOT what most people think it is! Its survival the fittest man and time for everyone to get a clue.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Look at it like this. If you work for the DEA or ATF, you're in charge of stopping illegal drugs and guns from being transported in and/or out of the country. Say you happen to be a greedy POS of a human being who doesn't give a damn about what's right or wrong. Soon you'll realize that the people trafficking drugs and guns across the border will pay you more than the government will pay you to stop them. Now if the government thinks you're doing your job, and you're helping the cartels too, you're getting paid by both sides.

The fact that the ATF got caught doing what they, the DEA, ICE, and all those types of government agencies have been doing for years was great. Then, they managed to screw us all by pretending it was a botched sting operation. End result: Nobody actually gets in any real trouble, despite getting caught smuggling guns.

You all need to stop thinking so deep into this. It's not an intricate plot to get tougher gun control laws. It's just gun trafficking by greedy government agents plain and simple.

ETA: I forgot to adress the hilarious idea that we're arming people to fight the Zetas. Look up some info on the Zetas. If a squad of 4 zetas took on 30 marines, my money is on the Zetas. The CIA has plenty of info on them, and unless the CIA is full of braindead morons, they would know that expecting any other cartel to take out the zetas is nonsense.
edit on 30-8-2011 by TheSnowman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Who is getting punished? All I see is a public relations stunt to appease the masses who keep up with events.

Yes you are correct. I started to include this in my last post...but I thought "no one cares anyway WTF..."

But the punishment for these types is not real punishment. They get a transfer/promotion to be sitting next to the bosses who can keep an eye on them really close.

It's called the "bureaucrat shuffle"; Nixon invented it I think.

It's miserable and humiliating, but at least you can have a paycheck coming in. And more importantly, those subtle threats to your family and yourself, "may not happen".

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSnowman

You all need to stop thinking so deep into this. It's not an intricate plot to get tougher gun control laws. It's just gun trafficking by greedy government agents plain and simple.

That's what you derived from all this?

ETA: I forgot to adress the hilarious idea that we're arming people to fight the Zetas. Look up some info on the Zetas. If a squad of 4 zetas took on 30 marines, my money is on the Zetas. The CIA has plenty of info on them, and unless the CIA is full of braindead morons, they would know that expecting any other cartel to take out the zetas is nonsense.

Yeah, that is the BS story they are trying to sell, and it would appear it is not just that they have info on the Zetas, the Zetas are one of their service branches.

Castillo affirms that Los Zetas are still working for the US government in protecting drug routes to keep the wheels of Wall Street well-oiled. Castillo has gone on the record to state that the commandos are working directly for the US government drug cartel in carrying out hits on rival drug smugglers who aren’t paying their cut.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Common knowledge in the border area: If the Zetas were not supported and/or part of US black ops, they would have NO WAY to exist. They were trained at SOAs, and made a deal to get there. The Seals, or Deltas or other spec ops would have them dead in two days, mostly dead in one.

These Z's are part of the money making machine of black US ops. Just like the opium fields of Afghanistan and Coca fields of Peru and Colombia.

Black Ops (CIA and their illegitimate parents) make money from illegal drugs, and by putting the addicts they create in jail. They then have money the congress (as if they would care anyway) never knows about.

ETA: Put a big smiley face on that my fellow Amerikans!!!
edit on 30-8-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: smiley face on a hopeless sitrep.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I think it's official, if you work for the government, you can do whatever the hell you want.

Screw Astrophysics, I'm going to try to major in Criminology or something that will get me a comfy position in a government office. Then I can push a bunch of coke, and when I get busted shrug my shoulders and say "Oops!", then get a promotion as punishment.

I wonder what you would have to do to get demoted in that position? Actually do something useful?

"Johnson, get in my office! There are rumors circulating that you saved some innocent children from a child pornography ring, is this true?"

"Well, yeah sir, I've been working on that case for weeks"

"You're fired damnit, take your 'Do-good attitude' to the County PD where that garbage belongs"
edit on 30-8-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join