It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese tycoon to buy part of Iceland: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Chinese tycoon to buy part of Iceland: report

www.rawstory.com

A Chinese tycoon is trying to buy a huge tract of land in Iceland for a $100 million eco-tourism project that will include a golf course, the Financial Times said Tuesday.

Huang Nubo, a real estate investor and former government official, has sealed a provisional deal to acquire 300 square kilometres (about 200 square miles) of Icelandic territory, the newspaper said.

Iceland occupies a strategically important location between Europe and North Americaand has been touted as a potential hub for Asian cargo should climate change open Arctic waters to shipping.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
This may not seem relevant but it is certainly a look into how corporate entities are trumping national identities...and quite curious in light of the financial problems experienced by Iceland recently, which has been cited as the largest economic collapse in history, relative to the size of the country/population.

So while I am not inclined to necessarily demonize this action, I do think that it is quite interesting. One of the things that comes to mind is the Bush family's alleged purchase of land in Paraguay, which contains one of the largest fresh water reserves in the world (something that is economically viable for the future/regional cultivation).

So...before I embarrass myself with further speculation, how does ATS feel about a Chinese Corporate takeover of a portion of Iceland. Keep in mind that foreign interests are not a new thing and that the NAFTA Highway was going to be funded by foreign interests...among other examples of globalization...

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
It's almost like they are trying to send a message to the EU and US. "We don't need to invade you, we can just buy you", and they know it will work every single time because we are so cash strapped.

Here's the thing though, without much effort, we can put a stop to this aggression from the Chinese.

Imagine if nobody bought China made products in the EU or US. Who are they gonna sell their junk to? Africa, Latin America maybe, but their profit margins won't ever be the same, and they can't sell their own crap to the Chinese, because nobody there can afford any of it. An intercontinental buying boycott would not only hurt Beijing, ran alongside local campaigns for more manufacturing could help boost our national economies.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Sounds a lot like the Chinese that are building their special "economic zones" in the US, to be populated by Chinese nationals.

50 Square Miles South of Boise To Communist China for a "Special Economic Zone"? (ATS)
China Building Self Contained Cities in America?
The Chinese are Coming, the Chinese Are Coming!!!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Plenty of foreigners have bought large tracts of Scotland over the years (and I'm not even including the English!). Some have even done good, for the land and the people. So it's not necessary a bad thing.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swanfilters
It's almost like they are trying to send a message to the EU and US. "We don't need to invade you, we can just buy you", and they know it will work every single time because we are so cash strapped.

Here's the thing though, without much effort, we can put a stop to this aggression from the Chinese.

Imagine if nobody bought China made products in the EU or US. Who are they gonna sell their junk to? Africa, Latin America maybe, but their profit margins won't ever be the same, and they can't sell their own crap to the Chinese, because nobody there can afford any of it. An intercontinental buying boycott would not only hurt Beijing, ran alongside local campaigns for more manufacturing could help boost our national economies.

This aggression from the Chinese? lol

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

then we also might need to stop shipping OUR jobs over there

check your computer or computer screen...

made in china?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

This is where you're wrong......

Land is taken at the edge of a sword, not a dollar bill.....

The US knows more than ANYONE that economics is a front, and in the long run, money dosn't equal power...

We didn't split from the British by buying our way out...it was Brute force....

When all else fails, heads roll, and dollars are useless...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OneEleven

When all else fails, heads roll, and dollars are useless...

Actually money is power, ultimate power doesn't have to be the dollar either, just the ability to control the banks, land and then you have control over the people.

War is just a means to distract the masses.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Wait a minute, what I read here in this thread is mostly that a Chinese private businessman building land to build a resort is considered a act of Chinese aggression in taking over the world?

Then what the hell does it mean when Donald Trump buys up coastlines to build his golf courses and resorts?

This is capitalism folks, we choose to live in this world, honestly-I'd say hate the game and not the playa...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by eLPresidente

Then what the hell does it mean when Donald Trump buys up coastlines to build his golf courses and resorts?

Aye, good point! I don't see Americans up in arms about rich Americans buying large tracts of land in other countries and imposing their will on the locals. Personally I'd send a nuke to New York and and another up Trump's back side .....

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I need to do more research - Iceland?!? ...These are the people who stood alone against the corporate world in 2008-09. ...Now they're selling out? Must be a necessary and extremely limited deal, strictly a business decision.

Great catch! S&F&

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

"I'd like to send a nuke to New York" = I would like to annihilate over a million people and blister millions more. I am glad you are so level headed. I am sure your country men are proud to have you voicing your obscene opinions.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Seems clear:

The IMF made them do it.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
It's be interesting to know why some people think there is anything wrong with a wealthy Chinaman buying land or property in a foreign country?

How is it different to a wealthy American or Briton or Swiss or German or Russian or Australian doing the same?

As noted above, this is absoultely no different to what Donald Trump has recently done.

edit on 31-8-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
It's be interesting to know why some people think there is anything wrong with a wealthy Chinaman buying land or property in a foreign country?

How is it different to a wealthy American or Briton or Swiss or German or Russian or Australian doing the same?

As noted above, this is absoultely no different to what Donald Trump has recently done.

edit on 31-8-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

I will tell you what it is. Fear and Jealousy. Lately, so many people on this board have been laying into china on everything.

Some Chinese people kill animals for medicine = every chinese person kills animals
Chinese pedo in the news = means all chinese are pedo's
Chinese person buys part of iceland = means all chinese want to take over the world

Its getting to be a bit of a joke now! You see, these people seem to think that if a few, or some chinese people do bad things, then they all do. I hate this primitive way of thinking.

Some american soldiers tortured and killed people and animals in Iraq. Does that mean i should instantly think that all americans are killers and evil people? No, it does not.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

it is insecurity, people demonize what they don't understand.

Right now, America's biggest threat is China and the people are throwing their arms in the air, running in circles thinking that we're going to be invaded. LOL, silly Americans....always so silly, especially when our 'status' is threatened.

5 stages of grief
Denial — "I feel fine."; "This can't be happening, not to me."
Denial is usually only a temporary defense for the individual. This feeling is generally replaced with heightened awareness of possessions and individuals that will be left behind after death.
Anger — "Why me? It's not fair!"; "How can this happen to me?"; '"Who is to blame?"
Once in the second stage, the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue. Because of anger, the person is very difficult to care for due to misplaced feelings of rage and envy.
Bargaining — "I'll do anything for a few more years."; "I will give my life savings if..."
The third stage involves the hope that the individual can somehow postpone or delay death. Usually, the negotiation for an extended life is made with a higher power in exchange for a reformed lifestyle. Psychologically, the individual is saying, "I understand I will die, but if I could just do something to buy more time..."
Depression — "I'm so sad, why bother with anything?"; "I'm going to die soon so whats the point... What's the point?"; "I miss my loved one, why go on?"
During the fourth stage, the dying person begins to understand the certainty of death. Because of this, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time crying and grieving. This process allows the dying person to disconnect from things of love and affection. It is not recommended to attempt to cheer up an individual who is in this stage. It is an important time for grieving that must be processed.
Acceptance — "It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it."
In this last stage, the individual begins to come to terms with her/his mortality or that of a loved one.
edit on 31-8-2011 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join