It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Canadians being lied to? I definitely think so. I need your opinion ATS.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Please let me clarify that I am aware of the overall unimportance of the issue I am about to share my opinion on. It seems rather trivial at first, but if you look down a bit deeper I think it shows how obvious it is that our governments use the media to manipulate us. I must also point out that I place no blame nor do I claim any affiliation with any of the political parties involved because any party would resort to these tactics. Now that I have your attention, I will continue on topic.

Majority approve air force, navy getting 'royal' title back

OTTAWA — The Harper government's unexpected decision to restore the traditional names of the navy and air force has the support of a majority of Canadians, a new poll suggests. On Aug. 16, the Tories announced the return of the Royal Canadian Navy and the Royal Canadian Air Force after four decades as Maritime Command and Air Command. A survey by The Canadian Press-Harris/Decima found that 56 per cent of respondents agreed with the change and only 31 per cent opposed it.

Ummmmm... have I been hidden in a cave under a rock with my eyes and ears closed? This is a topic I have done my best to avoid "at the water cooler". I have also seen it discussed on ATS on other threads. I have not seen any of these threads discuss how Canadians have been misrepresented on their whole opinion of this.

I can guarantee that 8 out of 10 Canadians who actually have an opinion on this matter oppose it. Most Canadians don't care. I encounter people from all walks of life during my day, and this topic has come up numerous times over the last week or two when it was first announced. Everyone so far has made it clear that they oppose it, and are also baffled that the government would try so hard to justify something so pointless. Not only do most Canadians think the monarchy has no place in Canada, this is also going to waste tax payers money. Sure, our uniforms are lame as it is, but that's not the point. I wonder how much this make over is going to cost. My tax dollars are already wasted on various idiotic programs, now I have to help fund a royal makeover. I saw quite a few people today lined up at the food bank. Surely our money can be put to better use.

Who are Harris/Decima?

Harris/Decima is one of Canada’s most established names in public opinion and market research, with a 25-year track record of innovation and client satisfaction. Today, we are among Canada’s largest full service research firms and fastest growing success story. The secret of our success is simple: work hard to meet every client’s expectations, by providing professional service with a personal touch. Our people are driven to excel at helping our clients excel.

Feel free to check the link to find out more, it even lists some of their affiliations. I haven't had the time to research any of them, but I must say I have not heard of most of them.

Who exactly did they poll? It sure wasn't me or anyone else I know. This headline came up earlier today and everyone started to go on a rant. It was actually funny to finally see people react how I think they should more often. Even the sweet elderly lady across from me started cursing at the news
I know not everyone in Canada hates our affiliation with the monarchy, but most of us oppose it. So to say that a majority of Canadians support the name change of our military is a big fat lie.

My point is that this seems to be a blatant psy-op/misinformation campaign targeted against Canadians. I have seen our current and previous governments use the media in an attempt to sway public opinion, but I think this time it is totally ridiculous. This claim they are making would be similar to saying Tony Blair or George Bush had a 90% approval rating when they left office. Sure the public is full of what many of you would call "sheep". But whether you like to admit it or not, most of us can think for ourselves and can't be tricked with this foolishness.

My last request is to help prove me right or wrong. I please ask anyone who has any opinion whatsoever on this subject to let me know if you agree or disagree with the royal affiliation in the names of the Canadian Military. All comments are welcome, even non Canadians. I am sure the responses will range from "This is sheer stupidty" to " I really don't care, Jersey Shore is on". We will probably even get a few "God save the queen, hail her Majesty" comments too. Don't worry I won't get mad

PS: The comments underneath the main article in the OP are laughable to say the least. I hate to be "that guy" but I have long suspected that the Canadian government employs people to comment on these types of stories. I have seen it many times on various topics. CTV news has never accepted any of my comments if they are not in total agreement with the story. I always remain civil and on topic. I know a few others who have tested out this theory, and for the most part if your comment is not completely pro-government, your comment will not be approved.
edit on 30-8-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: whoops

edit on 30-8-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I am Canadian and I've never heard a peep about changing back to "Royal".

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ryanssuperman

It's been all over CBC, CTV, Global and every other mainstream source that covers Canadian news. I don't blame you if you don't watch those channels though. But it has been all over the news over the last couple of weeks. Do you support or are you against the decision? Just wondering.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Yes i have never heard about this either, but i dont really watch the news or keep up-to-date on the recent events.
Anyways, i oppose it, why does it need a different name? does the name really matter? lol, thats my thought, its not the name that matters, but the people in it.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Ignoring the cost....

Who gives a flying bleep? Adding royal back into the title is in no way "bowing down" to the monarchy. It would be, as it was before, the Royal CANADIAN whatever. So it really is a completely meaningless molehill people are trying to make a mountain out of...

that said, a huge waste of money at a time when we are making deep cuts? I don't freaking think so. What's so Royal about subs that's can't submerge, or helicopters that can't fly, or APCs that continually roll over?

Anyways, I'd suspect the "poll" is done by phone, some the percent they show as being in favor is probably indicative of the 3 people who actually answered the phone and didn't hang up swearing.

As for CTV, nail.on.the.. Paid by the Canadian government? Possibly, but on Canada east and CTV you either tow the government line or remain silent.

In any event, of course we are being lied to, we have since day 1.

There is NO NAU and no plans for it.

Well, no, there isn't, because you changed the name to SPP, but forgot to change the name on the NAFTA superhighway map going all over my country. Government = fail

The government is not spying on you, and we're not handing your info over to the americans.
Umm, except that we totally are, and totally did.

the government is NOT trying to secretly pass internet restrictive legislation at the behest of the US and the MPAA/RIAA
Except they totally are

Hell they lied for years about our "mission in Afghanistan" we were NOT in a combat role, except we totally were and still are.

edit on 30-8-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I heard about it, heck even talked about it with some military friends of mine and we all think that it's a Royal fook up and a total waste of tax payer's money !

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Being a member of the Forces is all about tradition and pride and our resident commie PM Trudeau did his best to destroy that when he merged the forces and took away the Royal title in the 70's.

So, yes I am very much in favour of it returning.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
One bloody word causing so much useless talk. How much is this costing the taxpayer? It doesn't matter because " Canadians are proud" to have the word Royal put back into their military... screw the polls.
Stats, stats, and damned lies. Any poll that comes out I read with a block of salt and diapers.

Pride and tradition; ego and status quo acceptance.

how in the f*&#@ is that word going to change anything other than the federal budget?? lol.... But the stats say, " Canadians want this"
sure, and I'm an Irish North Korean sous chef
edit on 30-8-2011 by dl2one because: (no reason given)

Go Harper! " Canadians have made it clear____"

they will "love me"
they will "obey me"
they will "not question my authority"
they will "kiss my lying buttox with a smile"
edit on 30-8-2011 by dl2one because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'm from America, and there for not Canadian, But this Does seem very.. well.. Odd.

Why after so long change the name back to one that realigns your forces with those of the British monarchy..? I'll try to keep an eye on it. ( for all the good that'll do). I'm not the best at fishing information up when it is buried. Deliberately or otherwise. When I attempted to get further info I simply found similar news articles. I'm hoping someone more qualified can shed a few lights on this. I find it very interesting.

So, For now, We are in agreement. Something smells, and there is obviously a goal here. What, though, I wonder? Keep us posted if you can, and thanks for the post!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Well I do believe a lot of information is not nessicarily hidden from public eyes, a lot is kept to the side until it is no longer a current topic. As a Canadian citizen I strongly agree with returning the royal title to our forces. Although that is not the topic of this thread. I'm an Edmonton, AB resident and I know that the media and perhaps it political freedom have taken quite a hit when it comes to unbiased information. The edmonton journal for example has taken on a very conservative opinion on what was once a highly critical newsprint of anything and everything political.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies so far. It looks like at this point we have a few against, a few who don't care, and one in support. I am interested to see what the "majority" thinks.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dl2one

Changes are going to affect all uniforms and badeging....And don't think for a minute that all the advertisement won't be redone over with that Royal word being predominately displayed !!! $$$$$$ C ha ching !!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'm not Canadian, but lived on the US/Canada border for a little over a year. Beautiful country you have up there!

We used to think countries like N. Korea and Iran and Russia were so terrible because their governments controlled the media (amongst other things) and lied to their citizens about what was really happening in the world. Now our governments are doing it to us too. What I don't get is why they lie about some of the most unimportant bull mallarkey. We all know why they lie about the big stuff- it's all about control. But it still amazes me at some of the insignificant stuff that they lie about. Maybe it's just to keep everyone off balanced. Maybe it's like a media magic trick: watch this hand so you don't notice what I'm doing with the other hand!

I think the important thing to remember is that ALL governments lie, and ALL governments control and use their countries' main stream media to their own ends. And by all means PLEASE watch what the other hand is doing!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption ExposedI know not everyone in Canada hates our affiliation with the monarchy, but most of us oppose it.

Y'all aren't doing a very good job of it.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

It's not a question of hating the Monarchy but more about Canada being it's own country emancipated for England and standing on it's own.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Ok, so I'll try to shed some light here.
I've worked in the Market Research industry for 8 years.
Yes Harris-Decima is a big name in the industry (Harris research bought Decima), I believe they are only second to IPSOS research.
Anyhow, statistical results can be manipulated to support any possible side the client wants it to.
Harris-Decima only gather data, it's the client who decides how to report on it. In this case, the Federal Govt
Usually there is a sample of respondents in different age ranges, geographical locations, educational standing and even income brackets that have to be met. Once they are, there is typically a 5-20% chance of error depending on the sample size. (The larger the sample, the less the error margin).

These surveys are done on the phone, so the next time someone calls you to ask your opinion and you say "no" and tell them off, remember that you passed up on your opportunity to have your opinion count in statistics.
If you are truly interested in voicing your opinion about things, you can always contact market research companies and ask to be added to their sample list (be prepared for lots of survey calls though).

As for the reason to bring back the "Royal" title? Well that's a no-brainer! The British royal family has recently enjoyed a MASSIVE surge in popularity ever since the wedding of Prince William & hottie Kate. So, Harper is jumping on the bandwagon. It has absolutely nothing to do with paying tribute to the Queen.

Hope the above clears things up...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Canadians need to remember, without the commonwealth you'd just be another client state of the US, at least the commonwealth gives you some form of distinct identity. We don't like being associated with a bunch of baby seal clubbing barbarians, just for the record.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I don't care ...Canada could become a Commonwealth,Colony again ...It really doesn't matter ...What maters to me is our involvement in NATO ...Canada is committing war crimes ...Money is BS ...its just paper they print ....Oh ,and pols are just that ...I have attempted to participate in them before but they are scued and I usually get frustrated with the line of questions they ask ... Harris/Decima " The secret of our success is simple: work hard to meet every client’s expectations, by providing professional service with a personal touch. Our people are driven to excel at helping our clients excel." so if the client is the Harper Govt .then you can imagine the pole would reflect the clients expectation .....I cant imagine the why adding the Royal would matter one way or another ....peace

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swanfilters
Canadians need to remember, without the commonwealth you'd just be another client state of the US, at least the commonwealth gives you some form of distinct identity. We don't like being associated with a bunch of baby seal clubbing barbarians, just for the record.

Now THAT was funny!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Konstantinos

Thanks for the information on how the results are gathered. It makes sense that they can manipulate the results to favor which ever side they want. I guess it should be expected. Even the responses in this thread are a perfect example. Anybody could easily misinterpret or misrepresent the responses if they wanted to. Many of us who disagree on whether or not we oppose the decision,seem to still share the same opinion on other related and non related points that have been mentioned so far.

I hope you are wrong about the Will and Kate craze though. It was bad enough when they came out here earlier this summer

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join