It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow... England Needs A Revolution...

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Stu - this is not to be taken the wrong way - but you are the same age as my son. When you talk about ten years ago in your life you'r talking when you were a fairly young teenager. Most of us have been thru that #ty phase in life.

You are to be commended on improving your life in the way that you have - but unfortunately not everyone is the same as you. Some people in this country live a hell that starts in their childhood and just keeps going. They're given no education or tools to cope in this world by the families who purport to care for them. i.e. Some people just cannot achieve what you have managed to...and they never will...the damage is too great. That is NOT their fault - there are some fundamental flaws with our society.

Take junkies for example - 20 years ago, if you were a junkie with a child, the child would be removed and put into some kind of care (that's another story). Today (round here anyway) junkies do not have their children removed - there's too damn many of them.

I've known one clown with a little boy who was dealing - daddy used to have temper tantrums and put his fist thru every wall and door in their home. Was daddy fixed? No - they diagnosed that little 6 year old boy with ADHD and drugged him. Daddy loved that - he got attendance allowance. That baby was exposed to real scum from day one in his life - he never knew any kind of normality. Where is he now? In a young offenders institution.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by sapien82

policy 1. putting a cap on polititions income and expense acounts lol

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DaveNorris

That is a good policy - put them on the wage of your average skilled worker - it would keep them in touch with what they're inflicting on us. A desire for money is NOT a good reason to go into politics.

Policy 2. Ban all mp's from sitting on company boards while they're in office - and for the five years following.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

Policy 2. Ban all mp's from sitting on company boards while they're in office - and for the five years following.

oh, thats a good one. i could suggest another, but it would probably hijack this thread lol

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by sapien82

Do you really know nothing about The Scottish Parliament, also known as Holyrood, where the SNP currently have an overall majority and their leader Alex Salmond is The First Minister?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

I was between the age of 18-20 before I finally sorted the situation out. It still has a kock on affect today, for example, my credit rating was shot to peices until 2010 when a default finally came off my file and I am still paying back loans I had from back then, although only 5 more months to go!

I see what you're saying and I understand, as hard as that is to believe. I know people get dealt a rough hand from the get-go and they should get help, but they still must help themselves, otherwise what's the point?

It's like these kids that were rioting in August, they interviewed some on the TV and yes, they all said they had no jobs and no prospects, but these are the same kids who you just know mucked about at school, bunked off and saw study and getting their GCSE's as "sad".

Who did they blame though for their current jobless situation?

"It's the guv-a-ments fault, innit?"

"Why?" asks the reporter

"It just is, I dunno, innit" Is the response.

"Who is in the Government?", asks the reporter again...

"I dunno, but they 'ave to do summink as I 'ave kids to feed and need a job, innit"..

Say's it all, really. A point blank refusal to accept personal responsibility and expecting someone else to do everything for you is a major part of what is wrong with society.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

LOL....you should be a writer.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Yep I do agree - we have to take it upon ourselves, otherwise we're looking at an even bigger nanny state than we already have. We are however dealing with intergenerational social problems that have been completely ignored and they're coming back to bite us on the bum.

I had a business in the most deprived town in Scotland (Paisley) and the guys who really impressed me were four blokes (all on the dole) who realised there were a hell of lot of private lets (whose tenants didn't look after the flat) that needed cleaning. With no more than a roll of bin bags and some bleach they got their own business started. Now they have an industrial cleaning company.
edit on 3-9-2011 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

This is a rather diverse thread. Keep your policy making hat on please.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Say's it all, really. A point blank refusal to accept personal responsibility and expecting someone else to do everything for you is a major part of what is wrong with society

And what do you expect stu when our politicians, of all sides, and other public figures refuse to accept responsibility for their failings and mistakes and repeatedly pass the buck, apportion blame onto others or resort to classic deflection tactics.

Responsility starts at the top and it is their failings that need addressing first.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

Maybe you should start a thread on a hypothetical UK ATS Party manifesto. Would be interesting if we could get a common sense consensus of UK members, I think we have a better chance than our American cousins.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

That may be a good idea - but I don't have time right now to open a thread. Would happily contribute to anyone else who decides to open one tho'.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I believe that if people at the bottom took more responsibility and then held those at the top to the same standard, change would happen that way. It's all very well saying "Well, the Politicans don't so why should we" but that gets us no where, fast. We all know those at the top won't change unless forced to, so that requires us doing something about it.

Like I've said before, a major problem in our country and a major contributing factor to the Politicans being lying bastards is that the people at the bottom just don't give a toss and are apathetic. It's the apathy and ignorance that allows the corruption and lousy leadership to flourish. If we all took more of an interest and made more of an effort, maybe they wouldn't be so bad.

As it stands now, we have the Politicicans we deserve.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cythraul

Originally posted by CanuckTruthSeeker
was it just social angst, or are people in England actually ready for a revolution?

They are the product of extreme 'Liberalist' ideology and Cultural Marxism - the dismantling of order and convention throughout the school system and family.

(this is the politically correct version of my analysis)

I fail to grasp how these rioters were created by Liberal or marxist ideology when such people have always existed in society. If anything, it would be more probable to suggest that they are produced by the social injustices created by the tories in the 1980's which still exist in the UK today, perpetuated by "new labour" (ie diet tories) and now perpetuated by the coaltion government that has been forced upon us by Lib Dems trechery.

I often wonder if an inherent victim mentality is a prerequisite for right wing ideology.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Out of interest, how do people on the "bottom" drag themselves out of poverty with very little to no educational opportunities and absolutely no chance of employment in the current jobs market? You come acroos as a typical tory fantasist with no grasp of the social and economic problems faced by those in extreme poverty.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Change – real change is always implemented form the bottom up. Those at the top have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. Theyshould be the ones to lead by example but it’s very rarely the case.

I was roped into helping a German woman here in Scotland to promote the Earth Charter – a document that came about after the 1992 Rio summit. I helped her so far – until I realised she’s never actually read the thing (It was an A3 leaflet – Ethics and Principals for a Sustainable Future) and then I found out that Mikhail Gorbachev was its figurehead and Steven Rockefeller was the money man behind it. This Earth Charter was masquerading as a ‘grass roots’ movement – it simply wasn’t.

Through my involvement with the Earth Charter I was invited to, what I can only describe, as a think tank for the Scottish Executive when it came into being. I had to stand with a mic and talk to 300 people – almost all of them from down south. I said I’d had a great experience but that the indigenous Scottish population wasn’t properly represented at the event. No slight on those participating – there was some really talented people there – but we had to find a way to motivate indigenous Scots to get involved in their own country.

The Scottish Exec lot offered me a job – to go around the West of Scotland telling various groups that the Scottish Executive wanted to talk to them. I nudged the nice lady from London in the ribs and said ‘you only offered me that cos I’ve got a Scottish accent didn’t you.’ I rejected the job offer – they’d pay me into silence.

It was an eye opening experience tho’. These people weren’t interested in dealing with reality – they were ONLY interested in finding the best way to put a spin on policy....and maintaining their positions.

The top will NEVER change of its own volition - we do have to do it for ourselves.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by asturel13

Your certainly right that rioting in the UK is nothing new and moral panics about out of control youngsters have been running for centuries.
www.economist.com...

In London, 1815 sees the foundation of the Society for Investigating the Causes of the Alarming Increase in Juvenile Delinquency in the Metropolis. 1751 sees Henry Fielding's "Enquiry into the Causes of the Late Increase of Robbers" (Fielding fingered "too frequent and expensive diversions among the lower kind of people"). The seventeenth century saw moral panics about violent and rowdy apprentices, as well as about organised fighting among gangs (wearing coloured ribbons to identify their troops). Professor Pearson ends with the sixteenth century and puritan fears about, if not gangsta rap, popular songs that treated criminals as heroes.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

£30 a month??

Bollocks!

What do you do? Just keep the fridge on?

Even paying by direct debit you now have to pay nearly £200 a month. Let me now which power company you use so i can switch.

I pay around £60 per month duel fuel with Scottish Power (2 bedroom cottage with gas central heating). Plus occasional coal for the stove. £200 per month? Where do you live - the North Pole?
edit on 3-9-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Swanfilters

Racist Dross from a stupid man do your research before you post nonsense. Firstly im English secondly uni fees and prescriptions are free to Scotland because they have a population LESS than London.Thirdly a third of the armed forces are Scottish. Fourthly scotland has coal, oil, Iron. England has NOTHING minus Royal family tourist trap. Unity is key not segregation and you think they hate us no wonder with people like you spouting your filth.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Personally I don't look to anyone....I try to live my life by a set of values and standards I have set myself....I'm only human though and often fail, but it is something to strive for.

But not everybody is the same and whilst I do agree to some extent with what you say I still firmly believe that those who seek public office have a duty to accept responsibility for both their decisions and actions and should set an example for others, they are after all supposed to be both our 'leaders' and representatives.

A typical example of their hypocrisy is MP's moralising about benefit fraud whilst falsifying expense claims and then attempting to justify it like the vast majority did.
And how many ministers and MP's just brazen things out nowadays when caught shagging about, financial impropriety or shear incompetence and poor decision making?

If they can get away with it why shouldn't everybody else?

Or do you believe our 'rulers' etc should be subject to a different set of values and rules than the rest of us plebs are?

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join