It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow... England Needs A Revolution...

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by marinesniper0317
reply to post by DBCooper71

really than since I am upper-middle class I cannot wait ... sorry wait does this line of thought apply to the US as well...? Maybe I should move to the UK before the revolution...or towards the tail end of it...

dont start to hate the middle-class, I work 60hr weeks and have alot of bills, stress and problems the same as the rest of you "working class" as you put it... I am smart enough to have enough saved to survive a year or so unemployed, but I had to work my arse off saving this money...no new iphone for me...

Middle Class in the US, and Middle Class in the UK are two very different things.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarTraveller
Good Post OP and very very true. Sad state of affairs to be perfectly honest. Biding my time, gonna be out of here as soon as I can

It seems immigrants love our Country more than some Brits.

I wonder why.

Good luck with your move. You'll be back.
edit on 31-8-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

I'd suggest scrapping the "free trade" crap immediately, and slapping a huge tariff on goods made in a foreign country. That would be a start. Secure the borders and limit immigration. That would be another. If there aren't enough jobs for those who are already there, why the hell would you want more people coming in? Not "you" as in "you", but "you" as in "collective".

You're right, it sucks. I see it in the IT industry all the time. People rave about Apple being an "American company". American? Hell, they employ thousands of Chinese via the H1-B visa process (so they can pay less), then their products are made in China. Apple is about as "American" as Sinopec. It's NOT! How does one say "Apple" in Chinese?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

Don't know whereabouts in the North East you were from or how well you know Teesside, but how about St. Hildas in Middlesbrough;

www.flickr.com...

Or how about Grangetown, South Bank, North Ormesby or Brambles Farm.

Maybe you know Haverton Hill, Port Clarence or maybe Roseworth in Stockton?

Yes, some development has been carried out or is planned in some places but large parts of these areas epitomise urban decay and dereliction.

Parts of Tyneside and Wearside are just as bad and some of the pit towns and villages have just slowly rotten away after decades of non-investment and disinterest.

I am aware that most urban areas have a certain amount of decay etc but there is definately a disproportionate amount here in the North East.

There also some wonderful places of beauty and interest here and the people are generally regarded as some of the funniest, genuine, honest and hospitable folk you are ever likely to meet anywhere.
It's not all flat caps, whippets and lurchers and Newky Brown, (also known as Dog) up here.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Swanfilters

The Middle Class in any country is the link to a country's prosperity. That is the same in the UK as it is in the US, as it is in any country. The Middle Class are not to blame for the mess this country is in, far from it! The Middle Class is the only reason this country has not folded yet.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Mimir

This is what I basically thought about in this past Canadian Federal election.
Just didn't really trust any of them, I mean there was Jack, but even still, the NDP have been caught with red hands before.
Is it that hard for us to say "hey, why don't we stop voting for a colour, we think alligns ourself politically and get behind a party that really alligns with our own political beliefs and our awareness of morale?"

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SecretFace

The Middle Class in any country is the link to a country's prosperity. That is the same in the UK as it is in the US, as it is in any country. The Middle Class are not to blame for the mess this country is in, far from it! The Middle Class is the only reason this country has not folded yet.

No, the middle class is the only reason the wine producing regions of France haven't folded yet, and middle class teenagers are the only reason why the coc aine producing regions of Colombia haven't folded yet. When they are not propping up France and Colombia, they are propping up Chinese paint factories when they embark on art college courses "Cos 'Milly's going and daddy said he would pay for me to go too!"

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanuckTruthSeeker
I have to say European political news doesn't make a lot of headlines in Western Canada, but as a Self appointed political analyst I always try to keep up with this stuff. I never got a lot about those riots last month, was it just social angst, or are people in England actually ready for a revolution?

I'm convinced it was deliberately instigated by government agents to distract from the truth which as coming out about Cameron/Murdoch, distract from the calls for Cameron's resignation which were getting louder at the time, and usher in new repressive measures as the next installment of the insidious transition to a full police state.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
whoever controls the queen controls england. gather your teams, take control of the queen, then demand anything you delight

its only a game of chess you know

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Are you trying to tell me that is a true reflection of Teeside?

My brother lives there.

You can take any town and show problem estates or areas that are run down.

That is a little unfair my friend.

edit: btw they still aren't 'post war or earlier' in standard.

you take any house left empty, chances are some little kid will put the windows out.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish
reply to post by Mister_Bit

Which is all fine and dandy if you're from a position to afford an education, healthcare etc etc... What of those people who can't afford an education? With the fees going up another £9000 recently. Or if you learn a skill... say like working in steel, or ship building or mining say... and then having them sold to private companies and you lose your job, can't afford to pay your bills let alone send your kids to university.

All education and healthcare is free in the UK.
If you decide to go to Uni, you will have to pay. Not upfront but you are given loans.
I do agree that degree courses should be free in the areas of Mathematics and the Sciences which will benefit our Country in the long run.

Those taking worthless degrees (which there are many) hopefully students will think twice about taking them. Btw student bars are thriving, what does that mean?

You can't keep an industry there just because it employs people with skills. It's all about supply and demand with import and export taken into consideration.

You mean the free education here that teaches nothing other than how to pass that one particular examination. That free education where even the teachers are bereft of a clue about the most basic skills (Those that can't teach). There's a whole lot of "Do it like this and you will pass, make us look awesome on the Ofsted reports so I can keep my job even though I can't spell. It won't do you any good though, we never actually taught you anything apart from being a PC brain dead drone". That is not an education...

Btw student bars are thriving, what does that mean?

It's the last bastion of the *cheap* pint. You didn't have to be a student last time I frequented such an establishment.

edit on 31-8-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I'd just like to clear something up about the tuition fees in scotland , I work for student loans company , admittedly not he greatest job , but it pays the bills !

Anyways students studying in scotland are facing the same price hikes , my maw works for edinburgh uni and an students studying there can expect to pay £27,000 in fees.

Scotland are doing the same , dont think they arent , we are charging far more for fees than before.

As for the oil , as far as I was aware thatcher sold the oil fields to foreign companies for the cash payout , so no one in britain , scotland inlcuded actually benefitted from that !

My biggest annoyance with the government in regards to the education sector , is not the price increases in fees throughout the land , its the cutting of funding to "non essential" courses. Of course the idiot government dont realise some of the non essential courses are the driving factors in industry in the UK .

For instance I studied graphic design , a creative industry , the government are cutting funding to the creative industry courses , which are a major contributor to the wealth of businesses in the UK , take for example the games industry , now within the next few years it will dwarf any other industry , however no one will be able to learn anything in this field as all courses have been dropped or scrapped
edit on 31-8-2011 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swanfilters

No, the middle class is the only reason the wine producing regions of France haven't folded yet, and middle class teenagers are the only reason why the coc aine producing regions of Colombia haven't folded yet. When they are not propping up France and Colombia, they are propping up Chinese paint factories when they embark on art college courses "Cos 'Milly's going and daddy said he would pay for me to go too!"

I have to say I dont agree with some of the things you say but love the way you say it.

Your posts have had me in stiches all day lol

I would love to go for a beer or three with you mate lol

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I fully agree with the Op's post, I'm in the UK myself and its getting beyond a joke now. Petrol was 0.79p/litre when I was 18, I'm 25 now, it ain't far off double that, a good 3/4 of that is fuel tax, then we pay VAT on top, so a tax on a tax.

All these cuts they make and all these price increases, the people who make these decisions are multi millionaires so it doesn't effect them at all, its poor mr monkey at the bottom of the tree who takes all the #.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

No idea how to multi-quote so I can't address all your points so I'll make a quick summary.

Firstly I want to say that if people want a revolution or the world to change it's for ALL people and people should care for EVERYONE or at least try to see the position of those who want to help themselves but can't.
It is about personal responsibility, of course it is, but sometimes the system is stacked against us... are you now saying everything is rosy, nothing to worry about?
The system is stacked against the poorer, it's a simple fact BUT instead of tarding those with the ""lazy layabout who never did a days work and sponge off the state"" how about you find out who those people are first?

I think we'll agree that no one can get a "skill" from basic education.

If you're lucky enough to go to university you'll start off in debt before you even start work, that helps no one.
"Mummy and Daddy" as you put it in a lot of cases also find themselves in the same position, living hand to mouth for whatever reason not of their making, so it's impossible to save anything.

There are.... oh I give up, honestly lol.... what's the point.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

That's more to do with the standard of education rather than the cost.

I've no idea what they teach in schools today so I can't defend something like that.

My point is, we do have free education which is a benefit we take for granted, like many others.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
You mean the free education here that teaches nothing other than how to pass that one particular examination. That free education where even the teachers are bereft of a clue about the most basic skills (Those that can't teach). There's a whole lot of "Do it like this and you will pass, make us look awesome on the Ofsted reports so I can keep my job even though I can't spell. It won't do you any good though, we never actually taught you anything apart from being a PC brain dead drone". That is not an education...

There in lies the rub, doesn't it. They whine that it's "about the kids", and it's really only about teachers getting more for less. Once the schools return to teaching reading, math, science, writing, and ditch putting rubbers on bananas, maybe things will turn around. But, then again, they WANT these dependent kids to grow into dependent adults, who will vote for the party that promises "free" money. That party happens to be the party that gives teachers raises and job security for teaching brain dead drones. It's by design. Don't blame the corporations for not hiring the morons.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

Originally posted by Suspiria

There in lies the rub, doesn't it. They whine that it's "about the kids", and it's really only about teachers getting more for less. Once the schools return to teaching reading, math, science, writing, and ditch putting rubbers on bananas, maybe things will turn around. But, then again, they WANT these dependent kids to grow into dependent adults, who will vote for the party that promises "free" money. That party happens to be the party that gives teachers raises and job security for teaching brain dead drones. It's by design. Don't blame the corporations for not hiring the morons.

So now you agree it's the state keeping everyone down and not the lazy, layabout, good for nothing, poor, uneducated spongers that need to get off their backside and make something of themselves that are the British people?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish

That's more to do with the standard of education rather than the cost.

I've no idea what they teach in schools today so I can't defend something like that.

My point is, we do have free education which is a benefit we take for granted, like many others.

There is no such thing as a free education. The taxpayers ass gets raped to provide that freeby for every international waif and stray that comes here.

In birmingham schools the white kids are now the minority and English is a second or third language and the kids leave learning nothing about the country but could throw a great Eid bash..

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

Originally posted by Swanfilters

I have to say I dont agree with some of the things you say but love the way you say it.

Your posts have had me in stiches all day lol

I would love to go for a beer or three with you mate lol

If we always agreed this would be a bad debate, having said that I do need to tone myself down a bit, sometimes I offend people inadvertently lol

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join