It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul's Speech To Polk County, Iowa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Here's a video of a speech given recently in Des Moines, Iowa.

He starts out by talking about how we wouldn't even need an income tax if our government had been following the Constitution all along because we wouldn't need to take in nearly as much money. He wants a flat tax rate, no income tax, and also says he wants to repeal the inheritance/estate tax.

"Taxation is a symptom of what the people's appetite is for government"

Then he heads in the direction of the Federal Reserve by saying that since our government requires so much money, once borrowing and taxation fails to bring in the money we need, the Federal Reserve just prints off a bunch of money. His position is that "we don't need a Federal Reserve system, we need a gold standard for our money".

If that's how it worked, he says our government wouldn't be nearly as big because rather than the Fed. printing money, interest rates would rise and Congress would have to cut spending. In other words, it would be "self-regulating". He says that ever since we left the gold standard in 1971, things have slowly gotten worse since there are no restraints; economic growth has been diminished, unemployment problems have occured, debts have increased, and so on.

Then he talks about his foreign policy and says he strongly opposes how this country goes to war without a declaration. He also brings up how we go to the United Nations and NATO rather than Congress to get permission to enter a war. He believes that we should not be taking orders from the UN.

Ever since WWII, we've been going to wars without a declaration, but this recent one in Libya is what really gets his blood boiling, especially because Congress hasn't stood up to Obama. A lack of respect is what got us into our current situation, and we need to get back on track.

He talks about a lot of other things, and even though it's pretty long, a little over 15 minutes, it's definitely worth the watch. But one last thing that I wanted to bring up that really shocked me was when he says that if you use gold or silver as a currency, the federal government can arrest you for terrorism and counterfitting, but in reality the people over at the Federal Reserve are the counterfitters.

Here's a schedule of the upcoming Republican debates. Each one of those is an opportunity for millions of Americans to hear Ron Pauls stance on issues and how he thinks the government should operate, and there is no doubt in my mind that his supporters will steadily climb as time passes.
edit on 30-8-2011 by TupacShakur because: to edit my post

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I can only hope when Rick Perry is challenged in the debates. I know that is not going to happen but I can hope. I think you will see Rick Perry laser focused on challenging Ron Paul. The others ignored him but Perry's mission (which he chose to accept) is to disparage Ron Paul in the debates.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
You know when the free market really worked? When drugs, prostitution, and gambling were legal everywhere. When you didn't have to apply for a permit and pay money to start a business. When you could buy stuff in bulk and resell individually, without complying with regulations. When your storefront could be an attachment to your home, and there were no zoning laws.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Is it just me or does the camera angle make it look like he has a giant halo? Ha!

Like he says, you need to have ideals and goals or you wont get very far. Thats true, and sadly lacking in most governments today.

I still wonder though how much of a difference we would be allowed to make if he got the preseidency.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Ron Paul is always straight forward, knows what he's talking about, and doesn't put up with bullsh*t. Ron Paul 2012!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FidelityMusic

OK, so let's say this guy Paul makes some sense. why does he choose to speak in Iowa? Iowa? what does one talk about in Iowa? cows? corn? dancing with the rednecks? granted, Iowa is not quite as bass ackwards as Texas or Arizona but if Ron Paul wants a serious audience, people who think, people who will challenge him intellectually perhaps he should enter a "blue" state. I mean c'mon, Iowa? they gave their straw poll to you know who. (Bachmann). maybe Ron Paul is afraid of being challenged? I can't understand why he panders to some of the people and groups he panders to. .......... jus my opinion

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LooksLikeWeMadeIt
reply to post by FidelityMusic

OK, so let's say this guy Paul makes some sense. why does he choose to speak in Iowa? Iowa? what does one talk about in Iowa? cows? corn? dancing with the rednecks? granted, Iowa is not quite as bass ackwards as Texas or Arizona but if Ron Paul wants a serious audience, people who think, people who will challenge him intellectually perhaps he should enter a "blue" state. I mean c'mon, Iowa? they gave their straw poll to you know who. (Bachmann). maybe Ron Paul is afraid of being challenged? I can't understand why he panders to some of the people and groups he panders to. .......... jus my opinion

Well I can see why Iowa doesn't like your candidate. Is this the level that Ron Paul criticism has been reduced to? Next you'll be critiquing his clothing and hair style. Is that the type of challenge you expect him to answer up to? He is the only candidate that actually talks off the cuff about what he believes. He's not head bobbing from one teleprompter to the next for a 3 minute speech and pointing at his eyes and stumbling around like a drunk when the teleprompter malfunctions.
edit on 8/30/2011 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LooksLikeWeMadeIt

.....It's a state dude. I don't think it's fair to say one state is more intelligent than another state.

And on the topic of the straw poll, that's more of a day of barbeque and having a good time rather than talking serious politicis. However what gets me upset about the Iowa Straw Poll, no matter my personal opinion of it's importance, is how much attention Bachmann got for winning it when Paul followed by like 150 votes and barely got any attention.

Plus that speech given in Iowa aired on CSPAN, although I can't name too many people that watch CSPAN.
edit on 30-8-2011 by TupacShakur because: to edit my post

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by soundofathousandbirds

Is it just me or does the camera angle make it look like he has a giant halo? Ha!
You mean the "O" in the background? I didn't notice that until you pointed it out but yeah I see what you mean. That was set up intentionally to symbolize how he is going to be this nations savior

I still wonder though how much of a difference we would be allowed to make if he got the preseidency.
I actually felt weird reading that "we" could make a difference, I guess I'm just so used to politicians acting on their own. It's weird that the people have so little say in what our government does in this so called democracy of ours *cough cough federal republic*.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Perry will zoom in his lazer sights on whoever the closest competition happens to be which isn't Paul. More than likely he'll be attacking Romney. Just no need to spend energy on somebody that's not a threat unless you believe all the poll numbers are false.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Perry will zoom in his lazer sights on whoever the closest competition happens to be which isn't Paul. More than likely he'll be attacking Romney. Just no need to spend energy on somebody that's not a threat unless you believe all the poll numbers are false.
I gotta disagree with you here kro ( that's nothing new
). Somebody brought this up in another thread, but recently Rick Perry's anti-Fed rhetoric has been a poor attempt at shadowing Ron Paul, but he took it too far with his "treasonous" accusations. As Ron Paul said, a corporation looking out for itself isn't treason, our government allowing a corporation to have so much control over us and put us in this position is the treasonous thing.
edit on 30-8-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

I understand your point but it just doesn't make sense to direct attacks at somebody who isn't even close in the numbers. Absolutely nothing good would come from going full press against Paul, in politics you never say more than you have too and right now he doesn't need to even talk about Paul.

new topics

top topics

join