It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got wood???

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Good post. Been working through this type of thing lately myself as i gain more proficiency in smoking meats. I have settled on mesquite for chicken, apple for pork, and hickory for everything else.

I see your list excludes the greatest wood known: mesquite. Shame all you carbetbaggers don't know what we have good going on in West Texas.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

You may want to consider a tree pruners saw with quality blade for about 2/3 of the work at hand.....limbs under say 4inch diameter. The are about 15 inch long and have sheath, can be attached to back pack, they weigh nothing and just rip through small limbs which is about half your work anyway. Great tool for camping....shelter making/firewood. Many wouldnt think of a small hand saw but take one camping with you one time and that will make you a believer. You can find them on line under aborist gear.

Great idea, but I have saws "covered". Thanks. I have a folding hand saw that even accepts reciprocating(sawzall) bsaw blades. I keep a good wood saw blade in it most of the time, but it can use all kinds of different blades. I carry an assortment of such blades in my BOB. They are very light, take almost no space, and give me greatly expanded sawing capabilities.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Originally posted by Logarock
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

You may want to consider a tree pruners saw with quality blade for about 2/3 of the work at hand.....limbs under say 4inch diameter. The are about 15 inch long and have sheath, can be attached to back pack, they weigh nothing and just rip through small limbs which is about half your work anyway. Great tool for camping....shelter making/firewood. Many wouldnt think of a small hand saw but take one camping with you one time and that will make you a believer. You can find them on line under aborist gear.

Great idea, but I have saws "covered". Thanks. I have a folding hand saw that even accepts reciprocating(sawzall) bsaw blades. I keep a good wood saw blade in it most of the time, but it can use all kinds of different blades. I carry an assortment of such blades in my BOB. They are very light, take almost no space, and give me greatly expanded sawing capabilities.

I am sure you have a Swiss Army Knife as well.

Seriously the wood cutting blades on pro prunning hand saws are a great bit diffrent from wood blades made for reciprocating saws. They are ripping blades and made with the fact that they are arm powered kept in mind. They are also curved, you will understand why when you use one and are flexible but firm. They also come with pistol grip handels for the application of full arm power. I highly recomend these.

Saw

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
for brash clearance a good long armed cloppers (gardening bolt cutters for another phrase) are brilliant especially if you are having to clear alot of it away as you dont need to bend your back etc and can do stuff 2-3" thick pretty easily and if you can get the ones with telescopic handles you can also use them to cut fruit from tree's to save you climbing up a tree

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
for brash clearance a good long armed cloppers (gardening bolt cutters for another phrase) are brilliant especially if you are having to clear alot of it away as you dont need to bend your back etc and can do stuff 2-3" thick pretty easily and if you can get the ones with telescopic handles you can also use them to cut fruit from tree's to save you climbing up a tree
Now you get to the question of how much weight do you want to carry? For example, I have an acetylene torch in my van. Would I want to carry it? I think something like what you describe would be for more of a "bug in" scenario then for a "bug out". Just my opinion.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join