It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

any gardening experts..got a ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I have 6 tomato plants. All seem to be very healthy (big, bushy and very green)however..I have only 2 tomatoes all summer! I see the yellow blooms come out all over the plants but then no tomato develops???

What could be the problem? I use rabbit poop weekly..water every day..I just cannot figure it out.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
you need to remove the suckers. there are tons of youtube videos on tomatoe plants.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
My big tomato plants are not coming in well at all this year and they don't taste very good either.

The baby tomato plants are plentiful though, but also not tasting right..

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Sounds to me like you have a pollination problem. Do you see many bees or wasps on the plants?
You can use a small natural bristle paint brush and collect pollen from one plant and gently deposit it on another plants blooms.
Works for me every time.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

You will get most of your tomatoes as fall closes in. As it does, add nutrients high in phosphorus and potassium. Important not sure of the value rabbit poop has of these elements, you may want to visit a garden supply store and purchase a " bloom nutrient ".

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I made a thread last week about my tomato plants not ripening. I'm getting quite a few green tomatoes but none are turning red this year.

Are they getting adequate sunlight? Are you over watering them? Pollination problems? What time of year did you place them outside? Temps below 50 degrees will harm those plants too.

I didn't use any fertilizer and my 16 plants are sprouting tons of tomatoes, still no red ones yet though after 3 months outside.
I also lay my tomato plants down on the ground at first so they grow along the ground, the stem then attaches to the dirt for more nutrients and new stems sprout up from the original stem on the ground and 1 plant ends up producing many stems worth of tomatoes. It's a good technique vs constantly making sure they stand up straight with a pole and a string.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This has been a topic on lots of Gardening sites, It seems that the popular consensus is, our seasons have altered themselves, I do not doubt you have noticed the cooler temps and light seems to be a bit different than in years past here is one thread that has been ongoing about the subject.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Let me ask you though did you plant your tomatoes close in proximity to one another or space them out, sometimes you can choke your own plants, however I myself have had a bit of difficulty with tomatoes as well. My giant pumpkins are doing well... so take your pick could be any number of things. Just keep at it. next year you may find you have more tomatoes than you know what to do with... or not...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Too much nitrogen fertilizer is your problem.

Add Epson salts to your watering routine.

Use about three tablespoons of Epson salt to a gallon of water every other day.

Epson’s Salt can be found in the drug section of your local market..

It maybe to late in the season to get much in the way of yield.

FOR NEXT SEASON:

Rabbit droppings are a great source of nitrogen.

With nitrogen, you will need to pre-treat your growing space no less than three weeks BEFORE planting. This gives the microbes in the soil time to breakdown the fertilizer to a form that the plants can take. This holds true for ALL plants not just tomatoes.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Could be overwatering. Not too much, but too often.

Some plants won't put as much of the nutrients into the seed (fruit) if there is plenty of water for the rest of the plant. Roots will also get lazy as they don't have to grow much to get the moisture the plant needs.

Try not watering them for a while and wait until they begin drooping...make them work hard, they love it and NEED air around the roots, not just water, then water only every other day or more if possible. Pick tomatoes as they become ripe so the un-ripe ones then get the nutrients.

For next season, protect young plants from direct sunlight until they are about 1 foot tall. Over here (France) it's common to rest a couple of roman canal roof tiles against the tomato plant stake.

My tomato plants are doing OK this year, not a huge crop yet but more than enough for my needs and if it's anything like previous years they will keep fruiting for ages right up until winter (starts about end of novenber ;-).

Bon appetite!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
thanks for all the suggestions!

I don't think they are watered too much though..they are on a hillside and water drains off..every other day the ground looks really dry (even though the plants aren't wilty looking) That's why I water them..I will ?desucker? them and add the salt..but you're right it's getting a little late in the year to rescue them..They look so big and healthy, I hate that I only got two measly tomatoes. The temps are dropping into the low 60's at night and in a few more weeks we will probably be down in the 50's at night..

I will take all into consideration for the next season.

new topics

top topics

join