It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State paid sex offenders as baby sitters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

State paid sex offenders as baby sitters

www.chicagotribune.com

Cornelius Osborne may not seem like baby-sitting material.
He was convicted of raping two women. A succession of felonies, from robbery to failing to register as a sex offender

the state paid Osborne nearly $5,000 to baby-sit two children

according to a Tribune investigation that found cases of convicted rapists, molesters and other violent felons given access to children over the past decade. The money comes from a $750 million-a-year program that subsidizes child care for more than 150,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
ATS Staff?
I have an idea
You should do a series called "Money Well Spent"

I think this is an example of what Ron Paul talks about so often and how it's the nature of govt. to do a horrible job.

It's not that I don't want poor families to have access to child care, I just don't think govt. is the solution.

I believe that no matter how noble an initiative may be once govt. gets involved it will get screwed up with such low quality results at such extreme expenses.

www.chicagotribune.com

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Of course, it was State government that hired these people...and Ron Paul is such an advocate for States to govern themselves, so what's the problem here?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

seems like a little dis-connect from the brain to the type does it not.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It's ridiculous that the state is paying sex offenders to babysit but what I find even more alarming in this story is that the mother of the children this man was babysitting knew he was a sex offender and helped him fill out and send in his application. WTF?? I know they are siblings but does she think her brother, the sex offender, isn't capable of doing something to her kids just because he is their uncle??

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by the owlbear
Of course, it was State government that hired these people...and Ron Paul is such an advocate for States to govern themselves, so what's the problem here?

That is kinda the whole point, though I don't think you get it. When a State makes this kind of mistake, it is just the state that suffers, when a federal government makes this kind of mistake it is the ENTIRE country that suffers.

You can't stop mistakes from being made BUT you can limit the impact of those mistakes. When the states are in control, you can leave a state for another that has better management. When the Federal government is in control, all the states are the same and you can't leave it. Make sense?

edit on 30-8-2011 by sageofmonticello because: added quote

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

This is an area that even Ron Paul can't fix.

A few years ago in Florida it was discovered that thousands of children in the care of DCF were missing, and scheduled visits had been falsified. The fact was, the investigators had 4x more caseload than they could possibly handle, and they had to pick and choose which cases to follow up on. Without more funding, and more investigators, their jobs had become impossible. Since that time, funding has been cut even further!!

I knew an investigator in Texas, and he had the same problem. His caseload was impossible to cover. He could not possibly cover the number of children and the geographical area he was assigned, and he complained and complained, and he was eventually dismissed from his position, because he wasn't falsifying his visits like the other investigators.

Either we need the funding to do the jobs, or they need to get completely out of this business. It is a terrible situation for the children.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
We shouldn't have to have anyone watch our kids except for their own parents. To even think it's normal or ok to live in a society where both parents have to work more than one job each to barely keep their heads above water financially already shows we have let it go on way too long and it's only going to get worse.

Honestly, It's time end this. If i'm working 2 jobs along with my wife, I believe that it's me who should be living like a king and have no money problems, not some scumbag taking my money and living it up or some ghetto welfare trash too lazy to work because he's milking the system ans slinging drugs.

When is everyone gonna realize that there's NO peaceful solution?. An armed revolution is the only thing that will ever change it. F**k the federal and state govt's and all their corrupt agencies. Time to start over new.

If you don't make the change , the change will make you.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Slightly off topic. You are correct on most accounts, but funding was not the issue. There was more than enough funding. It was where the funding was going, that was the issue. I had a link at one time showing how much they received per child, (an ungodly amount) where it went, and evidence of millions unaccounted for, but sadly, I can no longer find it.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revealation
We shouldn't have to have anyone watch our kids except for their own parents. To even think it's normal or ok to live in a society where both parents have to work more than one job each to barely keep their heads above water financially already shows we have let it go on way too long and it's only going to get worse.

Honestly, It's time end this. If i'm working 2 jobs along with my wife, I believe that it's me who should be living like a king and have no money problems, not some scumbag taking my money and living it up or some ghetto welfare trash too lazy to work because he's milking the system ans slinging drugs.

When is everyone gonna realize that there's NO peaceful solution?. An armed revolution is the only thing that will ever change it. F**k the federal and state govt's and all their corrupt agencies. Time to start over new.

If you don't make the change , the change will make you.

a revolution will do what ? destroy the communities and infastructure that was built ?

then what ? have a power struggle after the revolution ??

then what set up a government again???

then what deal with corruption again??

and then we can start another revolution ? to reset it ?

does this sound like good times to you ?

as for the op there needs to be better supervision with programs like this to make sure they are executed properly and within guidelines of what is acceptable by a commision
edit on 30-8-2011 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
TO think, this is Obama's state. I can tell he left a great legacy of thinkers in that state. Incorporating the same dumb policies we have at the national level.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by sageofmonticello
When a State makes this kind of mistake, it is just the state that suffers, when a federal government makes this kind of mistake it is the ENTIRE country that suffers.

Great point, these people will probably be fired from their baby sitting job, but the federal government will continue to hire pedophiles to run the TSA. I'd rather have a criminal be humiliated and fired as opposed to given an award and a promotion.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

ATS Staff?
I have an idea
You should do a series called "Money Well Spent"

I think this is an example of what Ron Paul talks about so often and how it's the nature of govt. to do a horrible job.

It's not that I don't want poor families to have access to child care, I just don't think govt. is the solution.

I believe that no matter how noble an initiative may be once govt. gets involved it will get screwed up with such low quality results at such extreme expenses.

www.chicagotribune.com

I really don't get it. You added a post as an addendum seemingly just to bring up Ron Paul's name. Then, go on to talk about how Ron Paul thinks government is horrible?

He is part of the government and has been(and will be for one more year). Why participate knowingly in a corrupt machine you know you will have no control over for that long? It's like being a medieval tax collector, but not being an advocate for the tax collection and vehemently against it, but powerless to change it, but hey, it is a paycheck and you only have to work for 100 days a year for the man.

Why can't people just have an rp Sig or something and, if they really support him, let his record stand for itself. Name dropping in chi moe articles that have nothing to do with him won't further the cause and just reminds nonsupporters of the fanaticism three years ago.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Conducting a complete (State, Local & National) background check is NOT rocket science.

In fact, it's relatively simple and inexpensive. The benefits clearly outweigh any costs/time.

Even most (U.S.) based companies will screen all new employees ... because it's the right thing to do, and, in the long-run, it's cost-effective.

I worked for companies in positions where I oversaw the hiring process (from beginning to end) of new employees. Everyone was screened to avoid 'negligent hiring' lawsuits and for the safety and peace of mind of all employees.

We received the (accurate, up-to-date) results in less than 24-hours. Ditto for their driving records. Very simple. For a reasonable fee, the process can even be outsourced -- to an outside company that specializes in background screenings.

Regarding the comment in the news article, "This is not acceptable" ... IMO, 'unacceptable' is putting it very mildly.

I think this is evil, sinful, irresponsible and criminal ... forget unacceptable.

It's a crime and a trauma all rolled up into one, against an innocent little child, just waiting to happen.

It can become a trauma that the child endures and lives with the rest of their lives. They later refer to themselves as a 'rape survivor' or a 'survivor of molestation' or 'sexual abuse survivor'. This is how they define themselves. It changes who they are and/or who they could have become. It negatively impacts and affects the entire family and extended family ... often the neighborhood. So, even the 'domino effects' are far reaching.

A rapist does not have a conscience. As we all know, a conscience is what prevents up from causing harm and grief to others.

Why on Earth would they be allowed anywhere near any child, let alone babysitting a child? Wait, let me guess ..... "TPTBWC" ... TPTB WITHOUT CONSCIENCE.

This goes way beyond 'unacceptable' ... it's unconscionable.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I really don't get it. You added a post as an addendum seemingly just to bring up Ron Paul's name. Then, go on to talk about how Ron Paul thinks government is horrible?

That doesn't make any sense
Your perspective is defined within the limits of how you think

He is part of the government and has been(and will be for one more year). Why participate knowingly in a corrupt machine you know you will have no control over for that long?

To change the machine
Look at his voting record and all your questions will be answered.

Why can't people just have an rp Sig or something and, if they really support him, let his record stand for itself. Name dropping in chi moe articles that have nothing to do with him won't further the cause and just reminds nonsupporters of the fanaticism three years ago.

I simply think out loud
It's that simple

Many people saw the flaw in an ever expanding federal govt. way before Ron Paul became so popular
where have you been?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I'm not sure if it's the same in America but here in Australia, before you can work with children, you must undergo a police check and apply for a "Working with Children' permit where an even deeper background search is done on you. You get an unforgeable card (with photo) similar to an Australian drivers licence that you must carry on you at all times in the work place. It's nigh on impossible for paedophiles slip through the net here.

IRM

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The problem with most of these programs is that they create more government jobs, who's sole purpose becomes keeping that job, and if possible, expanding.

I got out of healthcare about 7 years ago because of problems in the system. I bought a mechanical contracting firm and we put in Furnaces and A/C units. One org we work for is called MVAC (MN Valley Action Council), and they pay us to put in units for needy families.

By December 1st they are scrambling to spend their entire budget, because if they don't spend it all they get the amount spent the year before. Same thing for the local state park, we put a brand new furnace in for them 2 years ago and they didn't need it either, just had to spend the money.

My guys came back last winter pretty PO'd after putting a $5500 furnace into a house with a brand new grand piano in the living room. And that happens all the time.

A beaurocracy only exists to serve itself.

This is one little agency out of thousands

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

That doesn't make any sense
Your perspective is defined within the limits of how you think

He is part of the government and has been(and will be for one more year). Why participate knowingly in a corrupt machine you know you will have no control over for that long?

To change the machine
Look at his voting record and all your questions will be answered.

I simply think out loud
It's that simple

Many people saw the flaw in an ever expanding federal govt. way before Ron Paul became so popular
where have you been?

I've been around...
I don't have time to mess with formatting so I'll answer in number to your responses.
#1. I call it how I see it. What did adding that post REALLY add, except for name dropping Paul
#2. I am looking at his record...when can you change anything when you NEVER COMPROMISE, never try to meet halfway. So, my comment stands, except, I did come up with a better analogy, Ron Paul's career is much akin to that of Sissyphus when it comes to accomplishing "change from the inside", he never gave up either.
#3. That's okay, I do it, too.

No offense, personally, because I actually love most of your posts and threads. I'm already sick of the hype. On ats anyway. It's as bad as the obamamania and could end up worse since a lot of Paul people have yelled for revolution if he doesn't get the nod.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

can't agree with you more. wanted to post pretty much the same sentiments: what the flock does RP have to do with it, but I figured it would be yet another post that would get yanked for not being 'on topic'.

ron paul my arse, State paid sex offenders as baby sitters.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The term "sex offender" has lost all literal meaning these days.. it's just another way to label people, a divide & conquer tool. In my book, they're not sex offenders just because the govt says so

I'd hire a teen girl baby sitter "guilty" of sending personal pictures of herself, and her boyfriend who dared look at them... the ones who went out and engaged in active kid boinking / touching?, eh.. not so much.

top topics

join