It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melbourne ranked the world's most liveable city

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Given I live in Melbourne, I couldn't resist.

Melbourne has vaulted Vancouver to become the best city in the world to live, according to the latest Economist Intelligence Unit’s Global Liveability Survey.

City, Country-----number----score

Melbourne, Australia-----1-----97.5%

Vienna, Austria-----2-----97.4%

Vancouver, Canada-----3-----97.3%

Toronto, Canada-----4-----97.2%

Calgary, Canada-----5-----96.6%

Sydney, Australia-----6-----96.1%

Helsinki, Finland-----7-----96.0%

Perth, Australia-----8-----95.9%

Adelaide, Australia-----8-----95.9%

Auckland, New Zealand-----10-----95.7%

Business day

Melbourne has regained the title of the world's most liveable city after topping a survey that ranked 140 cities around the world.

Melbourne scored 97.5 per cent in the Economist Intelligence Unit's Global Liveability Survey - jumping ahead of former titleholder Vancouver to the number one spot.

Sydney moved one spot up the ranking from seven to six, and Perth and Adelaide remain unchanged at joint eighth place.

The survey also measures the diversity and standard of cultural events and the natural environment; education and the standard of infrastructure, including public transport.

Melbourne has scored near the top of global livability surveys for the past decade but shy of first place.

‘‘For the first time in a decade we are now officially ranked number one,’’ Lord Mayor Robert Doyle said.

‘‘When you think the strong Aussie dollar militates against this, this is even more impressive.

‘‘I’m absolutely delighted, I can legitimately say that Melbourne is the best city in the world.’’

Asked if the City of Melbourne would officially celebrate the ranking, Mr Doyle was unsure. ‘‘I’ve only just found out about it but I don’t think we’re boastful about these things, we’re very proud.’’

The Age

I'm not really proud to be Australian, but I am proud to be from Melbourne.
The inner-city is awesome.

"Australia, with a low population density and relatively low crime rates, continues to supply some of the world's most liveable cities," Jon Copestake, Economist Intelligence Unit survey editor said in a media release.

I lol'd, the irony. Australia was originally settled by convicts.

source of report:
www.eiu.com...
edit on 30/8/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Oops. Double post.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Hahaha Adelaide made it on the list!

Funny that one of the worlds most unlively cities is also the most livable. Well, actually, I guess that makes sense.

Also, I'm from Adelaide. Been to Melbourne and I've got to say, THAT is a lively city. Fantastic place.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Lived in Melborne for a few months, have to say it is a very cool city. That being said given the choice i'd rather live in Sydney or Vancouver.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I've still yet to figure out Melbourne's bizarre road rules - i.e. turning right from the far-left lane.....crazyness....

But compared to Sydney I have to admit it's pretty damned cool. I hate going into Sydney CBD - concrete jungle doesn't even begin to describe it.

Actually, to be honest I hate cities full stop. I much prefer rural life.
edit on 30/8/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Toronto at number 3???
What a joke!!!!!

Toronto has had alot of shootings in the past year and being born 45 minutes south from Toronto....I can't help but shake my head at them being number 3.

Vancouver has alot of gang activity and I keep reading about shootings from there??
WTH??
I know someone who moved to Calgary in the past year or so and they were home invaded.
WTH??
Whoever made this list should put down the crackpipe.

I can think of 5 other cities off the top of my head in Canada that are waaaay better places to live then what that article says.

Congrats Melbourne made number 1.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

I love Melbourne, I moved here from London a couple of years ago. I have lived in many places around the world, but Melbourne is definatley the best af all of them. Will stay as long as they let me lol

new topics

top topics

join