It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fact or Fiction? You already decided.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I hesitate to put this in conspiracies, but the premise of this thread is ALL conspiracies. The things the majority of ATSers believe in, and argue, on a daily basis.

I could have put it in movies, but I don't think it belongs there. If a mod wishes to move it, I would prefer it go into general chit chat. My point is NOT the movies.

The conspiracy is to keep us busy. To feed us ideas and watch them grow.

And this is my top 10 examples.
Descriptions limited due to character restrictions.

#10 - Conspiracy Theory

Jerry Fletcher is a man who sees conspiracies everywhere. But if you keep doing that long enough, sooner or later you're going to get one right...
The description says it all. And the best intro into this list. At least one of them will have some aspects that are "right".

#9 - The Net

Angela Bennett's a software engineer type who works from home and has few friends outside of cyberspace. Taking her first vacation in years she becomes embroiled in a web (sic) of computer espionage.
Man was this movie way ahead of its time in 1995 or what? They're watching. They can erase you any second!!!!
Why would they do that? Because you found out it was the antivirus company that was causing problems to your pc in the first place... (I already knew this, I hope I don't disappear now...)

#8 - The Matrix

A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers.
The short summary leaves a lot to be desired. But we've all seen it. We're all batteries. We're all under the control of our captors, the terminator left-behinds.
Best overlooked runner up for this scenario: Dark City
Important to mention because so many seem to believe that soon we'll be "tuning" - like Oct 28th maybe?

#7 - Armageddon

When an asteroid the size of Texas is headed for Earth the world's best deep core drilling team is sent to nuke the rock from the inside.
This is one thing that could actually happen! We can get hit by an asteroid. But Bruce is not going to save us. Sorry.
We're screwed. No amount of ATS threads will help.

#6 - Men In Black

Two men who keep an eye on aliens in New York City must try to save the world after the aliens threaten to blow it up.
This has to be, hands down, one of my most quoted movies. I very highly doubt that aliens are walking among us and we're too stupid to notice (at least not how they're portrayed here, they were pretty obvious if you ask me). But of all the movies on this list, this one really tells it like it is if you ignore the whole alien aspect.
A person is smart. People are dumb panicky creatures.

I could list several but ATS put me on a character limit so I deleted them
.....so lets get to the next Alien's are among us flick...

#5 - They Live

A drifter discovers a pair of sunglasses that allow him to wake up to the fact that aliens have taken over the Earth.
Interestingly enough they all look like reptilian hybrids

The aliens are not coming. They're already here. They go by several different names on this forum - TPTB, Illuminati, Freemasons, etc, etc. They lie to you. They keep you down. And they keep you in a constant state of hypnosis so you don't notice it. Keywords: consume, multiply, go to work, stay asleep, sleep, sleep, sleeeeeeeeep (and on the money is printed "This is your God")

#4 - Independence Day

The aliens are coming and their goal is to invade and destroy. Fighting superior technology, Man's best weapon is the will to survive.
Y2K has come and passed... where are the Aliens? oh yeah they're waiting for 2013 now right? after half of us drowned or got crushed by something, cause they can't fit us all in the boat
Best runner up for this section: Knowing - cause they couldn't fit us all in the boat

Speaking of not fitting everyone on the boat.....

#3 - 2012

An epic adventure about a global cataclysm that brings an end to the world and tells of the heroic struggle of the survivors.
Has anyone even stopped to think the entire "2012" hype was to promote this movie in the first place? Do a search. The Mayan date of 12/21/12 is highly controversial. It doesn't even say there's anything cataclysmic coming. It just says its the end of an "age", time to buy a new one.

#2 - The Crazies (the 1973 version, way better than the remake)

The military attempts to contain a manmade combat virus that causes death and permanent insanity in those infected, as it overtakes a small Pennsylvania town.
This is a tough one to argue with. While I do think there are man made diseases, I don't think they were made "intentionally". But ok yeah, it could happen. Obviously we're creating superbugs through the use of chemicals (be it pharma or pesticides or what...)

We can include a lot of movies in this scenario. Anything zombie will work. I went with the Crazies because its very forward, and one of the creepier movies I've seen.

#1 - V for Vendetta

A shadowy freedom fighter known only as "V" uses terrorist tactics to fight against his totalitarian society. Upon rescuing a girl from the secret police, he also finds his best chance at having an ally.
This movie prompted me to want to do this thread.
If we were in "They Live" and could see what the cover of this movie really says, it would probably say "This is your Bible". Within the first 15 minutes I was so angry at this movie and its relation to ATS, I almost couldn't enjoy it. I finally settled down and it was really good.
But its all in there. The man made disease, the unholy rise to power, the control, the lack of freedoms (is that redundant), and the complacent people who are letting it happen because the PTB created a false flag operation to make it happen... Fear and conspiracy..... and we feed on it.

This all reminds me of Ancient Aliens. Everytime I watch it or read about it, its the same thing over and over again - it completely discounts any human intelligence. Now I'll be the first one to say that people are not that swift in general, I might even say they're stupid - but we're not that stupid.

SOME DO HAVE AN IMAGINATION. It is possible these ARE JUST MOVIES.

I knew the difference between TV and reality when I was a child.... why is it so hard as an adult?

I'm not saying none of it has any truth. What I'm saying is don't take it literally.

It is possible, the people writing these movies, got their ideas from places like ATS. Conspiracy Theories are not a new phenomenon.

This could easily have been a long list. If you're awake, I'm sure you can add to it.
edit on 30-8-2011 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
S+F for you.

I have seen all those movies and this is a great list you have there.If i may add some more:

1.The Killing Room

Four individuals sign up for a psychological research study only to discover that they are now subjects of a brutal, classified government program.

2.Wag the Dog

Before elections, a spin-doctor and a Hollywood producer join efforts to "fabricate" a war in order to cover-up a presidential sex scandal.

3.X-files

I think this show created a new generation of conspiracy theorists

4.Lone gunmen

Spin-off of The X-Files featuring the trio of computer-hacking conspiracy geeks popularly known as The Lone Gunmen.

5.The Manchurian Candidate

quote]
In the midst of the Gulf War, soldiers are kidnapped and brainwashed for sinister purposes.

6.Das Leben der Anderen (The lives of others)

In 1984 East Berlin, an agent of the secret police, conducting surveillance on a writer and his lover, finds himself becoming increasingly absorbed by their lives

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

excellent additions! I was starting to think I was invisible

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever
reply to post by Phantom traveller

excellent additions! I was starting to think I was invisible

I know the feeling

It's a good idea to have all the conspiracy movies-tv shows in one place.I'll add some more later.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

They Live? That is one I have not seen yet. Thanks for the heads up on that. I will go out and try to find a copy.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

They Live is epic - stars Roddy Piper of wrestling fame

It has one of the most incredible fight scenes - which South Park recreated blow by blow in the fight between "Timmy" and "Jimmy" some youtuber actually spliced them together

This scene when he first puts on the glasses, is probably one of the creepiest things a conspiracy theorist could ever see.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Great thread, and great movies! I also highly recommend the original version of the Manchurian Candidate, that movie scared me like no other, probably because the themes and ideas are so believable, and the idea that 'manchurian candidates' still exist and are being used today. Another one I would recommend is 'Arlington Road' with Tim Robbins and Jeff Bridges, also unnerving, especially the idea that we can never really know who our neighbors are, and we can't count on the truth ever coming to light. The ending was particularly shocking, if you know what I mean.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Replikant
Manchurian Candidate

'Arlington Road' with Tim Robbins and Jeff Bridges, also unnerving, especially the idea that we can never really know who our neighbors are, and we can't count on the truth ever coming to light. The ending was particularly shocking, if you know what I mean.

I keep meaning to see Manchurian Candidate! I'm going to add both of these to my Netflix right now so I can get them done.

I never even heard of V for Vendetta till I came to ATS - no doubts about it now though... some people worship a bible that isn't a book - its a movie.

Arlington Road sounds great from your description and Netflix synopsis - its now next on my list

a little off topic - I love shocking endings - there aren't many that get me - I've seen too many movies, so I can usually tell where they're going head of time - if you also love shocking endings, see OLDBOY - do not read any spoilers - it works best if you go into it and learn things as the main character does - if you read the spoilers, it won't have the same impact - definitely had one of the most insane climaxes I've ever seen

I'll come back with my thoughts of Arlington Road as soon as I see it ♥

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom traveller
1.The Killing Room

Four individuals sign up for a psychological research study only to discover that they are now subjects of a brutal, classified government program.
-

I saw the killing room! very good movie - it was this movie that lead me to read about the Milgram Experiment and the Standford prison experiment

I saw a movie of one of those too but the name escapes me....
interestingly, IMDB says there's another one

this one I haven't seen - The Experiment (2010), Adrien Brody, Forest Whitaker

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Ah i so loved reading V for Vendetta by Alan Moore, art by David Lloyd, in the 80's in it's original home in Warrior ( UK independant comic). The comic book is way more interesting that the film was and i found the film to be a complete let down. It missed most of the relevant parts of the story.

Alan Moore used the idea of a nuclear war as the catalyst for a totalitarian government but from the view point of 1982 under a conservative government run by margret thatcher it seemed we were heading that way anyway.

The movie] has been "turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country... It's a thwarted and frustrated and largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values standing up against a state run by neoconservatives — which is not what the comic V for Vendetta was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about England
Alan Moore.

Good list of films though ! i think They Live has got to be a personal favourite, it's really quite out there

edit on 31-8-2011 by Hopeforeveryone because: typo fixing

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Another movie that studies human behaviour and for me is a MUST SEE is the German "Das Experiment".

www.imdb.com...

The movie is based on the infamous "Stanford Prison Experiment" conducted in 1971. A makeshift prison is set up in a research lab, complete with cells, bars and surveillance cameras. For two weeks 20 male participants are hired to play prisoners and guards. The 'prisoners' are locked up and have to follow seemingly mild rules, and the 'guards' are told simply to retain order without using physical violence. Everybody is free to quit at any time, thereby forfeiting payment. In the beginning the mood between both groups is insecure and rather emphatic. But soon quarrels arise and the wardens employ ever more drastic sanctions to confirm their authority

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
ahhh! great thread, how did i miss this!!!??? love your list.

Arlington Road is a great movie. You will like it.

has anyone noticed lately how they have been putting the term "new world order" in movies lately? specifically, i recently saw a movie called I Am Number Four, and there are a couple of conspiracy theorists in the movie, who when captured by the "bad guys" start begging to be let go and whatnot and they make a reference to the new world order. i had to laugh when i saw it. and that is not the first movie to throw that in there, i saw another movie not long ago that referenced it, but for the life of me i can't think of it... if someone else can, then please let me know...

how bout the original "anonymous" or "wikileaks" LMAO:

War Games (released 1983)

"A young man finds a back door into a military central computer in which reality is confused with game-playing, possibly starting World War III."

or even possibly:

Hackers (released 1995)

"A young boy is arrested by the US Secret Service for writing a computer virus and is banned from using a computer until his 18th birthday. Years later, he and his new-found friends discover a plot to unleash a dangerous computer virus, but they must use their computer skills to find the evidence while being pursued by the Secret Service and the evil computer genius behind the virus."

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
oh and we should NEVER forget the ultimate aliens are among us, you can't trust anyone, movie EVER written (and take your pick, the original OR the remake):

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Original - 1956)

Dr Miles Bennell returns his small town practice to find several of his patients suffering the paranoid delusion that their friends or relatives are impostors. He is initially skeptical, especially when the alleged dopplegängers are able to answer detailed questions about their victim's lives, but he is eventually persuaded that something odd has happened and determines to find out what is causing this phenomenon. This film can be seen as a paranoid 1950s warning against those Damn Commies or, conversely, as a metaphor for the tyranny of McCarthyism (or the totalitarian system of Your Choice) and has a pro- and epilogue that was forced upon Siegel by the studio to lighten the tone.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Remake - 1978)

The first remake of the paranoid infiltration classic moves the setting for the invasion from a small town to the city of San Fransisco and starts as Matthew Bennell notices that several of his friends are complaining that their close relatives are in some way different. When questioned later they themselves seem changed as they deny everything or make lame excuses. As the invaders increase in number they become more open and Bennell, who has by now witnessed an attempted "replacement" realises that he and his friends must escape or suffer the same fate. But who can he trust to help him and who has already been snatched?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom traveller
Another movie that studies human behaviour and for me is a MUST SEE is the German "Das Experiment".

www.imdb.com...

The movie is based on the infamous "Stanford Prison Experiment" conducted in 1971. A makeshift prison is set up in a research lab, complete with cells, bars and surveillance cameras. For two weeks 20 male participants are hired to play prisoners and guards. The 'prisoners' are locked up and have to follow seemingly mild rules, and the 'guards' are told simply to retain order without using physical violence. Everybody is free to quit at any time, thereby forfeiting payment. In the beginning the mood between both groups is insecure and rather emphatic. But soon quarrels arise and the wardens employ ever more drastic sanctions to confirm their authority

Yes! thats the one I saw and couldn't find, the word "Das" explains why I missed it

Thank you for reminding me.

I hadn't updated this thread cause I haven't seen Arlington Road yet and would really like to comment on it. We have family movie nights, but we take turns picking movies. My turn is 2 movies away, and Arlington will be the one.

I agree with Highpriestess about Hackers and War Games, they were absolutely prophetic for "Anonymous" and "wikileaks" type phenomenon.

My overall concept is how people are LIVING as if the conspiracies put forth in movies are truths, when in most cases they're not. You all have made great contributions.

Further example - we've all heard of reptilians and draconians, yes? What ATSer has not?
How many of them saw the movie Enemy Mine (1985)

Louis Gossett, Jr. in the role of Jeriba "Jerry" Shigan, who was a Dracon, from the planet Draco. And OBVIOUSLY a reptilian.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Further example - we've all heard of reptilians and draconians, yes? What ATSer has not?
How many of them saw the movie Enemy Mine (1985)

Louis Gossett, Jr. in the role of Jeriba "Jerry" Shigan, who was a Dracon, from the planet Draco. And OBVIOUSLY a reptilian.

YES! i remember that movie! and since you mentioned that movie, it reminded me of this one:

The Last Starfighter (1984)

Alex Rogan lives in a trailer court where his mother is manager and everyone is like a big extended family. He beats the Starfighter Video Game to the applause of everyone in the court and later that day finds he has been turned down for a student loan for college. Depressed, he meets Centauri, who introduces himself as a person from the company that made the Game, before Alex really knows what is going on he is on the ride of his life in a "car" flying thru space. Chosen to take the skills he showed on the video game into real combat to protect the galaxy from an invasion. Alex gets as far as the Starfighter base before he really realized that he was conscripted and requests to be taken back home. When he gets back home, he finds a Zan-Do-Zan (Alien Bounty Hunter) is stalking him. Unable to go home and live, Alex returns to the Starfighter base to find all the pilots have been killed and he is the galaxy's only chance to be saved from invasion...

one of the alien species in this movie is totally reptilian.

i LOVED this movie when i was a kid, by the way. i can;t tell you how many times i watched it.
edit on 10-9-2011 by highpriestess because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by highpriestess

I caught Paul last night per your recommendation ♥

Simon Pegg is totally lurking this forum ....

tough to find good quotes for this one... but a couple things from memory (not verbatim)

- Paul says everything our goverment learned/did/invented in the last 60 years came from him (all thats left now is Genetics, they want to cut out his brain, premise of the movie is his escape when he realized he was not a guest, but a prisoner)

- Paul says the majority of "science fiction" also came from him "Moulder was my idea!"

- Paul says they've been "drip feeding" his face on lunchboxes and tshirts just in case we ever meet his species, we won't freak out
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I highly recommend the movie to anyone who didn't see it - but I warn them, there's a LOT of foul language

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

i LOVE that movie. lol. best line ever: "what am i... mining for farts?"

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Replikant
Great thread, and great movies! I also highly recommend the original version of the Manchurian Candidate, that movie scared me like no other, probably because the themes and ideas are so believable, and the idea that 'manchurian candidates' still exist and are being used today. Another one I would recommend is 'Arlington Road' with Tim Robbins and Jeff Bridges, also unnerving, especially the idea that we can never really know who our neighbors are, and we can't count on the truth ever coming to light. The ending was particularly shocking, if you know what I mean.

If I could I would give you another Star

I LOVED both of these Movies. Not a whole lot to say about the Manchurian Candidate, it was pretty self explanatory.

Arlington Road though.... wow. There was a lot of things to be learned from that movie. For starters, don't let your mind run away with conspiracy theories. You may find yourself a victim of one, solely because you did.

Really, I don't want to give anything away, but it makes you wonder if he wasn't who he was, thinking the way he was thinking, and if he had just minded his own business... would he ever been involved at all?

It did have a nice twist ending. I did see it coming, but thats cause I see too many movies
I won't ruin it for anyone. I really hate that. I wonder all the time if I would've known that Bruce Willis was dead. I think I might have picked it up, but it was ruined for me so now I'll never know..... so sad..... did I just ruin that movie for someone else?
are there people left who haven't seen it? I won't even name it just in case

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

I hesitate to put this in conspiracies, but the premise of this thread is ALL conspiracies. The things the majority of ATSers believe in, and argue, on a daily basis.

I could have put it in movies, but I don't think it belongs there. If a mod wishes to move it, I would prefer it go into general chit chat. My point is NOT the movies.

The conspiracy is to keep us busy. To feed us ideas and watch them grow.

And this is my top 10 examples.
Descriptions limited due to character restrictions.

#8 - The Matrix

A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers.
The short summary leaves a lot to be desired. But we've all seen it. We're all batteries. We're all under the control of our captors, the terminator left-behinds.
Best overlooked runner up for this scenario: Dark City
Important to mention because so many seem to believe that soon we'll be "tuning" - like Oct 28th maybe?

I find it interesting your Avatar is about the underlining truth of the Matrix yet you didn't mention anything about Predestined?

What up wiff tat?

Ribbit

Ps: I still loved your organization!

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopeforeveryone
Alan Moore used the idea of a nuclear war as the catalyst for a totalitarian government but from the view point of 1982 under a conservative government run by margret thatcher it seemed we were heading that way anyway.

The movie] has been "turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country... It's a thwarted and frustrated and largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values standing up against a state run by neoconservatives — which is not what the comic V for Vendetta was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about England
Alan Moore.

Alan Moore doesn't associate himself with the movies at all, but they are good, in their own right. Moore in his pure form is of course something close to a prophet and should be approached as such.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join