It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 New Zealand Super Volcanoes Are Rumbling!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Over the past couple of days, there have been some seismic activity reported in three of New Zealand's Super Volcanoes. Check it out:

hisz.rsoe.hu...

hisz.rsoe.hu...

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Hopefully, it wont lead to anything bigger. What are your calls on this?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I don't know what to say, I've been watching quakes when I should've been watching volcanoes. Oh **** me, now I need to start doing that. Back to working on this.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I hope these volcanoes hold out until after the Rugby World Cup. We don't want to hear any excuses from the All Blacks. We don't want them to "choke" on volcanic ash....

Disclaimer:

For the record my hope is that if eruptions do occur they will just be minor with no loss of life or damage to property.

edit on 30-8-2011 by Utopian because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-8-2011 by Utopian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
planetry alignment has been long suspected of triggering volcanic activity radio interferance and human behavioural problems all the planets are alligning magnetically near 2012 so its no suprise to me # happens

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
3 super volcanoes on one island?

This must be slightly unique, 3 supervolcanoes so closely on one island. I wonder if they can affect each other, like the Hawaiian volcanoes - I remember someone on television saying that 3 or 4 volcanoes there could erupt at the same time.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Well I know for one thing that when I used to have 3 pimples clustered together in a small area of skin that if I popped one then the rest would be soon to follow whether I liked it or not! Used to get enormous ash clouds!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
Super Volcanoes.

and....

Originally posted by Utopian
hope they will just be minor

...don't seem to gel together terribly well in my honest opinion

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Also just popped up is Mount Tambora(!) it's alert level has been raised to a II. Personally I have my money on this one being the cause of the next 'big event'.....but that's just my 'imagination'.

portal.vsi.esdm.go.id...
www.npr.org...
www.uri.edu...
Just out of interest the antipode of this region is pretty much Etna and Stromboli
www.antipodemap.com...
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackbird1973
3 super volcanoes on one island?

That's what I was thinking. 3 yellowstones on one Island is unfathomable IMO.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Catchy Title, but completely wrong

Sure those are 'Super Volcano's", but there is no indication anything is going on out of the ordinary right now.

There have been some swarms over the last few days in the North Island, one at Tokaanu which is south of Lake Taupo, and they happen once or twice a year, its a geothermal reservoir.
The other was offshore Matata and Pikowai in the Bay of Plenty, hundreds of km away from any of those supervolcanos. these happen there all the time, with several larger swarms in 2005 and 2007

None of these historic swarms of earthquake activity resulted in volcanic explosions.

That RSOE site tends to overstate the relevance of things, but can be helpful with background information (as you linked).
The real deal is from Geonet

Think of the North Island as Hawaii's Big Island older bigger brother on steroids

Mt Ruapehu erupted in 1995/6, that was the last eruption in NZ.
We get on average 30-60 earthquakes per day in the North Island, 90% of these are too small to be felt and are only picked up by seismometers.
edit on 31-8-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

it may be significant, or not, that lake taupo was formed by huge volcanic activity 26,500 years ago. i presume that is an approximate figure, yet it coincides with the time taken for the precession of the equinoxes. just a thought.
edit on 31-8-2011 by orangutang because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Two large aftershocks hit CHCH today around lunchtime:

www.3news.co.nz...

The Moonman:

www.nzherald.co.nz...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Sorry but a 4.0 and a 4.7 are hardly large, they are known in the earthquake world as LIGHT, the 4.7 getting up there towards a MODERATE, sure there would be some shaking, but likely short lived and not much damage.
A LARGE quake would be above Mag 6.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

well knowing that New Zealands south island is a range formed from volcanos and it is very active....is it so unbelievable that it could be of some great signifigance in the life and times of valcanos....much like the hawaiian islands.

New Zealand's world record eruption

A world record eruption New Zealand is home to the world's most violent eruption in the last 5000 years - the Taupo eruption of 181AD. Flows of hot ash, mud and gas moving at estimated speeds of 600-900 km/h destroyed 20,000 square kilometres of the central North Island. In total 50 cubic km of material was erupted, which is equivalent to a block with dimensions of 3.7 km across x 3.7 km wide x 3.7 km high!

New Zealand's volcanic history

Is it so strange now ........

North Island is still forming ....

Crater Lake lahar

The active vent is occupied by Crater Lake, a hot, acidic lake near the summit. The latest eruptions were in 1995-98. During 1945, water in Crater Lake was expelled by a rising dome of lava. This was then destroyed by violent explosions, generating ash that fell as far away as Wellington (250 km).

Within seven years, water had refilled the crater. On 24 December 1953, a debris dam near the lake outlet collapsed, sending an ash-laden lahar (volcanic debris mud flow) down the Whangaehu Valley. The lahar swept away the Tangiwai rail bridge, causing a train to plunge into the swollen river, killing 151 people. In 1969 and 1975 eruptions of Ruapehu generated lahars that damaged parts of the Whakapapa ski field and again in 1995 lahars ran through part of the ski area. Because Ruapehu has the potential to eject Crater Lake water down the slopes of the volcano at any time, two lahar warning systems have been put in place on the volcano, and other alarm systems installed further downstream.

In March 2007 the tephra dam at Mt Ruapehu's Crater Lake collapsed and sent a lahar down the Whangaehu River. The alarms and the emergency response plan were effective and the lahar passed down its natural path to the sea with minimal property damage.

source as above.....

shall we have an enjoyable little look at White Island off the coast of New Zealand.

"burn burn burn like a burning ring of fire"

edit on 023131p://f08Wednesday by plube because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

The rumbling increased the Volcano warning

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

A large EQK, in my books is a 7.0+ however for a 6.5+ to do any damage would have to be a shallow one in a major city.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Ahhhh crud. Really 3? They aren't all active.
Probably The worst eruption of New Zealand "recently" was Mt. Tawawera or Ruapehu.

My biggest threat from a volcano would be White Is. Would most likely send a massive Tsunami my way was i live in Pukehina. I think ill use my dog as a float

There have been quite a few mid sized earthquakes around. The last one i felt though was the one offshore from Matata, it was quite strong for a 4.7 and only 2kms deep.

The biggest threat to the Bay of Plenty (NZ) would be the series of volcanoes in the Kermadic trench (including White Is)

top topics

join