It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libyan Rebels Using Canadian-Made Reconnaissance Drone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I didn't see this posted anywhere, so here you go. Interesting looking drone, eh? There's a video of it in action at the bottom of the article at the link below. The most interesting part of the article for me was:

"Dave Kroetsch, co-chief executive of Aeryon, declined to say which branch of the federal bureaucracy helped him establish contact with the rebels, though he explained the company was initially asked not to disclose its involvement.

“It wasn’t quite a formal agreement because they are not quite a formal entity,” he said in an interview."

What do you make of that?

Libyan Rebels Using Canadian-Made Reconnaissance Drone
business.financialpost.com...
Jameson Berkow Aug 23, 2011 – 12:40 PM ET | Last Updated: Aug 23, 2011 7:06 PM ET

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7269944cab82.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/703b9b421ceb.jpg[/atsimg]

As rebel forces in Libya continue trading fire with forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi, Canadian technology is helping them learn where to shoot.

The Aeryon Scout Micro UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle), designed and built in Waterloo, Ontario by Aeryon Labs Inc., was chosen by Libya’s Transitional National Council (TNC) to acquire intelligence on the positions of Col. Gaddafi’s forces to help coordinate their attacks. In cooperation with Ottawa’s Zariba Security Corp., TNC troops in the North African country have already put the three-pound, backpack-sized drone to work on the front lines.

An acquaintance of an Aeryon staffer working for the Canadian government put them in touch with the TNC. Dave Kroetsch, co-chief executive of Aeryon, declined to say which branch of the federal bureaucracy helped him establish contact with the rebels, though he explained the company was initially asked not to disclose its involvement.

“It wasn’t quite a formal agreement because they are not quite a formal entity,” he said in an interview.

“Though we couldn’t talk about it until now.”
business.financialpost.com...

edit on 8/30/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: pic

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
This thing can anyone buy for 1000€ in Europe,nothing new.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
And when the rebels true intentions are made open, our governments may use the very same drones etc , to put a puppet back in power.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I find it extremely difficult to believe that those "Rebels" we see hollering "Allah Akbar" and emptying magazines without any intention of hitting a target at all are going to benefit from this technology.

3km range, seems extremely portable. I guess our RCAF needs more discerning eyes on the ground then the "Rebels" can provide for them.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

for the rebels, it would be good for looking around buildings without loosing troops.

i see a future in this invention for fire departments(looking through windows), and other disaster responders.

it would allow for a quick search of otherwise difficult terrain, such as floods or mountain rescue.

hope they eventually get more range though.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen6511

Okay I thought of one use the "Rebels" may have for it.

Let's say they are waiting to move into an area that is being cleared by a NATO bombardment for them. Send the robot in first to make sure the "Rebels" don't have to do any actual fighting. If the drone doesn't get shot down, then it must be safe to advance.

NATO can't just bomb places and expect to hold them from loyalist troops without their boots on the ground. They can't get the "Rebels" to fight like an army, to beat an army. so they have to clear the path for them. This way the "Rebel's" advance can be supported more effectively then mere close air support. NATO has the power to drive the war, it just needs to convince the "Rebels" it's safe to follow. That must be what the drone is for. It's obviously not a combat drone. It's just to ensure areas have been neutralized in order to give the "Rebels" the confidence to advance so that ground taken by NATO bombardments is then held from loyalist forces reoccupying it.

Pure speculation on my part.
edit on 30/8/11 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Darce

That sounds like a reasonable explanation to me. I wonder how many military "advisors" Canada sent to help them fly the thing, and to aide in the "revolution"...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
reply to post by citizen6511

That must be what the drone is for.

snippage....

Pure speculation on my part

Pretty strong words for "pure speculation"

2nd

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Perhaps my speculatory skills are more inclined to accuracy than you would assume.

If I used the word "certainly" then I would agree with your correction.

So, what do you think their use would be for this type of drone? Peeking around corners?

edit on 1/9/11 by Darce because: (no reason given)

top topics

join