It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet double feature : Elenin and Garrad Now Showing In The Night Sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Comet double feature : Elenin and Garrad Now Showing In The Night Sky

tehrantimes.com

At present, comet Elenin is too close to the sun to be viewed from the Northern Hemisphere, though observers south of the equator may catch it low in the western sky after sunset.
A reminder: All of the magnitudes given here for comets are estimates; comet brightness is notoriously hard to predict. The comets may be fainter than predicted or we may get lucky and get a couple of really bright comets
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
From Tehran Times yesterday, this article gives times and dates and promises an update in september. It recommends viewing the comet at perihilion on september 10th/11th on the stereo telescopes which are pointed at the sun, and claims the comet will be briefly visible in the night sky through binoculars. The spin the Terhan Times puts on the 'doom and gloom' angle is to be expected.
This is my own comment however > no one is addressing the fact that elenin is travelling along the ecliptic plane as we do.
At the same time, claims it is disintegrating rapidly are also not necessarily making us safer . One thing we know is that comets have tails which increase as they get nearer the sun. 22 million miles of space, then, is in fact 'nothing' that asteroids dust and water plus other space debris in the tail has to pass through before potentially impacting earth 's atmosphere and potentially land surface.
The tail + ecliptic aspect, as most of us know , is a potential 'doom and glloom' scenario, along with the earthquake weather and volcanic anomalies plus polar anomaly already occurring this year > possibly down to a strong magnetic effect from a very dense nucleus , regardless of estimated size. Width 4km for example does not describe length or height. And comets are unusual shapes.

Doom and gloom , is not health and safety. < This is my last comment and something more than a few people need to think on. Death and destruction vs survival and preservation < I know which one I personally am more interested in.How about you?

tehrantimes.com

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Posted yesterday.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by GoldenObserver

Where's the link then? I checked and did not see this article, which was produced within the timeframe

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ZIPMATT

www.abovetopsecret.com... There ya go. I do apologize though, your thread will stay up, the other thread of it was posted in the "Space Exploration" thread.
edit on 8/30/2011 by GoldenObserver because: Addition

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Ok got it thanks it wasnt popular though . What do you think has put them off ?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ZIPMATT

I have no idea, but I do know that i'd really love to see these comets. Does anyone know the bare minimum telescope you'd need for a good look?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZIPMATT
This is my own comment however > no one is addressing the fact that elenin is travelling along the ecliptic plane as we do.
tehrantimes.com

UMMM!!! I remember distinctly going to nasa and looking at the trajectory path then changing the view and seeing Elenin on an angular path.........sorry I dont buy your story

edit on 30-8-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: added content

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikeybiznaz

tehrantimes.com

UMMM!!! I remember distinctly going to nasa and looking at the trajectory path then changing the view and seeing Elenin on an angular path.........sorry I dont buy your story

edit on 30-8-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: added content

AHeM thanks for this important link and you just slide the bar on the right (upwards to the middle to see the comet travelling the ecliptic plane) .

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ZIPMATT

it doesn't matter now, does it?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

As quoted in the snippet , the magnitude or brightness is not easily predicted . As it goes west of the sun we should be able to see it in the mornings rising before the sun does I imagine . I thought the article was worth it as it gives some fairly precise indications of when we should see it.
I think the difference between it or the comets being something fully real and not something quite obscure like Nibiru is important. Elenin is something we are likely to get a look at because it is definitely there. Maybe you would like to see these pics if you havent before my friend.comet close ups
(Hartley 2)

The absence of pictorial information regarding comet elenin is stark, given the level of interest and the power of telescopes and cameras these days. I am told pictures of objects like saturn are stock footage, but we are not stocking any real footage of elenin here. It leaves you asking why not.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeybiznaz

I dont understand your reply , what doesn't matter ?

If you are talking about the fact it is travelling the ecliptic (as you stand corrected I beleive) then in my opinion yes it does matter. But dont worry yourself I could be wrong. Anyone can be wrong about what exactly does go on up there.
edit on 31-8-2011 by ZIPMATT because: line 2

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
You won't be getting any pics like those of Hartley 2 that you posted.
I hope your not holding your breathe for them.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

No of course not I realise the hartley 2 pics were taken by a probe.
However if I can see the horse's head nebula so well on google sky , why cant we see a 200 000 km wide coma that is well within our solar system? Leonid spotted it with an 18inch portable scope : it was a long way further off than it is now. With due respect pazcat I am not stupid enough to not to demand pics. Pics or it didnt happen , not having it otherwise..its only sense.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
You have your pics, you are demanding a type of pic that is not possible to produce. We have been through this before I'm sure so either it hasn't sunk in, your incable of understanding it or you don't want to understand it. Google sky is not an accurate representation of what you would see in a telescope anyway, if you think it is then I imagine you are too stupid to understand.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Thread previously posted here.
abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

LOL you got mixed up as well
@ pazcat still not buying it sorry. mind you its better than seeing something faked like the lunar landings , not having anything even half reasonable to look at.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
You won't be getting any pics like those of Hartley 2 that you posted.
I hope your not holding your breathe for them.

edit on 31-8-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

reply to post by mikeybiznaz

I dont understand your reply , what doesn't matter ?

If you are talking about the fact it is travelling the ecliptic (as you stand corrected I beleive) then in my opinion yes it does matter. But dont worry yourself I could be wrong. Anyone can be wrong about what exactly does go on up there.
edit on 31-8-2011 by ZIPMATT because: line 2

dont hold your breath for world doom...Christians have been since The Christ died 2010 or eleven long years ago

edit on 31-8-2011 by mikeybiznaz because: (no reason given)

top topics

join