It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turning Over a New Leaf: A Tale of Kryties and ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Helloooooooo....

To be honest I have no idea how to word this thread, suffice it to say this is a rant about myself and my attitude toward ATS.
When I first joined here in 2008, I was a bright bug-eyed individual ready to accept any and all information that was handed to me by the various posters here at the time. I believed much of what I read, got sucked into many a hoax and started fights with many members over what could be considered innane topics. Over the years since then I have turned a full 180 in terms of what I believe on this website - taking the motto "Deny Ignorance" and actually applying it to myself.

However, the constant onslaught of obvious hoaxes, questionable material and lots of political hatred left me feeling rather, how do I describe this.......jaded. I have found more and more recently that I have deliberately trolled threads, picked fights and stood on my soapbox crushing the opinions of other members with no thought or regards to their feelings or the fact that I could possibly be wrong.

So, without turning this thread into a long-winded sob-story, this is where I turn over a new leaf. This is where I return to the reasons why I joined this site - to intelligently discuss actual mysteries about this wonderful planet that we live on in this spectacular Universe. This is not to say I won't comment on other topics, but I will be sure to think about what I say a tad more carefully and with regard to other posters and their opinions. Having said that, nobody is perfect and I am sure there will be times when I forget, but please be assured that I shall do my utmost to turn over this new leaf.

So, in conclusion, to all the members, moderators and owners of ATS, I am sorry for my actions recently and hope to make that up in the future.

Anyways, to the 3 people who read this, well done on making it to the end of the thread! I'd buy you a cookie but I'm flat broke so please help yourselves to one out of your own cupboards and remember: It's the thought that counts!

Kryties.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I hope you don't change too much. You never seem to agree with anything I say....ever lol
And I love it.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

hi op
well said
i was like that when i first joined
i felt at the time like a bull in a china shop haha
but i do like to think that i have not hurt anyones feelings
i myself have a lot to thank for ats and its wonderfull members from all walks of life
ive seen a more perspective view of life since ive been here
so thank you all members
dave

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I'm the 3rd response (but you already have 5 flags and I forget how many stars)

can I have the cookie??

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

The next you debate over something petty, I'm sure to remind you of this wonderful thread.

It be cool to stick it as your signature, just remind yourself.

Peace

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
it takes a strong person to admit their own weaknesses and work to fix them. Be proud, not just in your 180, but in your ability to see and admit your imperfection. Humility is a powerful tool in growing yourself into an exception person, and an extremely rare trait these days as well. I hope your story here inspires others as well. if i knew how to star or flag i would gladly do so. thank you for your message

lol figured out the star and flag
edit on 30-8-2011 by theXammux because: learning blog basics... slowly

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
To be honest I've been mulling the idea of this thread over for a few weeks now - I created a new avatar a week or so ago with the idea that it was going to mark the time of turning over the new leaf, but totally forgot about it when we had the onslaught of Ron Paul threads - go figure

Anyways, thanks all who have posted so far, it is great to receive some positive reinforcement, even from certain posters here whom I have had a few disagreements with

And yes, you can all have a cookie - provided you have enough in your cupboards to spare!

EDIT TO ADD: You can all have a star! At least they don't drain my non-existant bank account

edit on 30/8/2011 by Kryties because: A Star for All!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Hey kryspies.

Polonius's advice to his son Laertas, departing for France.

Act1 Scene3 Hamlet by William Shakespeare (or Francis Bacon?)

'.....And these few precepts in thy memory
See thou character. Give thy thoughts no tongue,
Nor any unproportion'd thought his act.
Be thou familiar, but by no means vulgar.
Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,
Grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel;
But do not dull thy palm with entertainment
Of each new-hatch'd, unfledged comrade.
Beware Of entrance to a quarrel; but being in,
Bear't that the opposed may beware of thee.

Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice;
Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man,
And they in France of the best rank and station
Are of a most select and generous, chief in that.
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.' (my bolds)

Pretty sound advice eh?.
Pity it didn't work out so well for mr. P.

We are living in very dangerous times and it is wise to concentrate intellectual
and passionate efforts on topics of immediate import.
Don't even attempt to recuscitate the (long) dead!

>>exit pshea stage left, contemplatively

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by pshea38
Act1 Scene3 Hamlet by William Shakespeare (or Francis Bacon?)

Now THAT'S the sort of mystery I joined ATS for!

Very sound advice mate, although I always found ShakeBacon a little hard to read, but I understand and agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I have enjoyed reading your posts over the last few years even if I did not agree with all of them. But I think that lately there seems to be a much more intolerant and confrontational attitude in a lot of the threads that can maybe draw people in to making a knee jerk reaction before thinking things through. Also I probably should not say this but a lot of threads seem to have absolutely no basis in reality.

I admire your honesty and will look forward to reading more of your posts.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by habiff

Thanks for your support mate, I had no idea how many people actually read my posts throughout the years, it is encouraging to read this!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I'm just surprised it took you (how many years?) to get jaded.
I've only been here since May and I'm totally jaded already
did you read Jurans thread in WATS? if it wasn't for his POV, I may literally have gone insane
now I take it as a game - the people who are obviously wrong, but still insistant, smack in the face of sanity - I just assume thats part of their game

I'm real here. I'm always real.
I don't pretend to "know" when its my "opinion"
I don't call people names - especially troll cause I think I might be one!! not on purpose... I just usually have a unique POV and get accused of trolling - it isn't what people think it is IMHO

its like calling someone "lucky" in poker
only in poker is the word "lucky" an insult

only on ATS can the term "troll" not be an insult.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever
reply to post by Kryties

I'm just surprised it took you (how many years?) to get jaded.
I've only been here since May and I'm totally jaded already

I've actually felt this way for a while now, but moreso since the overhaul of the ATS website and the massive influx of new members who have joined since then.
edit on 30/8/2011 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I missed the overhaul but I did notice when GLP closed the increase in insanity
Juran might not be 100%, but it seems like he is where those people are concerned ♥
I can't link to it, its in the rules

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

I can't stand GLP - the website looks like it was built by a 4 year old back in 1999 and there is very little, if any, intelligent discussion that doesn't devolve into namecalling and stupidity. That and I feel like I am going insane when I try reading much of what is on there.

I will look up that thread you mentioned though, I may have already seen it in passing but I'll take a looksie anyways.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

i went on glp for about 20 mins after a thread mentioned ats beaing slagged off
ive only 1 word for the place

VULGAR

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I to have recently join but alot sooner than you about three weeks ago but i to have found my self biting my lip to some posts and topics but its good to hear that some one else has had the same problem you have shown me that no matter what i most remain with the facts and anyone can be influenced into long winded and unfounded arguments

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by indisputable

ATS can be seem like a large and complex place to a new member. There is a tonne of crap, no doubt about that, but in amongst this are the pure gems, pearls of wisdom that can change the way you see the world.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Instead of a cookie, can I has a Giorgio Hair-do?

Like another poster said, at first I could not get enough of this site. Now I am just jaded. UFO's just aren't that exciting anymore

One thing I have gained from this site: A pair of rubber boots thick enough to wade through all bull poop that gets splattered on the ATS front pages.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand
Instead of a cookie, can I has a Giorgio Hair-do?

Absolutely! I'll just trot off and grab some scissors.....

His hair is so poofy

top topics

<<   2 >>

join