It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive looting and bombing of ancient artefacts underway in Libya.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Massive looting and bombing of ancient artefacts underway in Libya.

Mr. Sologubovsky, who spent several months in Libya this year as a correspondent for a Moscow tabloid, said cave paintings in Acacus Mountains that go back 14,000 years were being destroyed by looters.

“NATO aircraft have bombed Leptis Magna and Sabratha,” said Mr. Sologobovsky, who is deputy head of a Russian committee of solidarity with the people of Libya and Syria set up earlier this year.

“Plunder of Libya’s cultural heritage has been going on since February. I’m afraid it faces the same tragic fate as Iraq’s antiquities, which were plundered by the victorious U.S. military,” said the Russian scholar.

Mr. Sologubovsky who is a news correspondent for a Moscow tabloid tells of the massive looting and destruction of priceless historical heritage ,and NATO forces of destroying some of the most spectacular architectural sites.

Source

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
The rebels are a bunch of dumb greedy terrorists. The country will go down in chaos for years to come.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
It is worth noting that some of the "looting" in Egypt and possibly Iraq served as a cover for a much more well orchestrated, and likely well-funded, team to take rare and historically important antiquities. Are they being destroyed? Hidden? Added to a collection somewhere? Will the same happen to Libya's relics?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Oh great.... yet another piece of bad news coming from the "liberated" Libya.
I'd really like to see all of this go back to haunt those who wanted to kick Gaddafi out.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
People wrecking and destroying there own culture and history? How stupid can you be really :S
Would be the same when there would be a rise against the government in Holland and people start trashing there windmills!

And NATO bombing those 'cultural' and historical artifacts and buildings is simply disrespectfull to the people of Libya. I don't see any reasons for these wars anyhow, but why bomb history instead om military and strategic places. What the hell is the point of that! Something there we should not know about?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by MentalPriapism
It is worth noting that some of the "looting" in Egypt and possibly Iraq served as a cover for a much more well orchestrated, and likely well-funded, team to take rare and historically important antiquities. Are they being destroyed? Hidden? Added to a collection somewhere? Will the same happen to Libya's relics?

I don't think they will be destroyed, but certainly hidden from the public as they could reveal things that they don't want us to see. I am 100% sure of that. Too much secrecy around archeological finds in those countries. But basically it doesn't matter sooner or later all truth will come out anyway, they can't hide it forever.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Far more life threatening on a huge scale is the bombing of Libyas water distribution system and the only factory that makes the pipes to repair it.
This is tanamount to a hiddeous war crime.
The water shortages will get more serious as the battle rages on.
NATO is out of control.
It seems to have a life of its own, drawing military forces from many countries and using them for the furtherment of the BANKERS AGENDA!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
"Too much secrecy around archeological finds in those countries. But basically it doesn't matter sooner or later all truth will come out anyway, they can't hide it forever".

Yes they can and they will. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. We need to get more vocal and stop pretending we care and do something about it.

Today I emailed all our Local TV stations, journalists, newspapers with the Libyan Lie.... from all the links and different blogs people have been posting on ATS, and links given from ATS members. I figured someone had to take it to mainstream...

I'm not sure if they'll take it seriously and follow through with it, or watever, my point for doing it was to make a stance on something thats just outright wrong, corrupt, dishonest and to make myself feel like i'm doing something to help....right?

Peace friend

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MentalPriapism

Seconded. There was a lot of historical importance taken from Iraq and I can only assume this is the same.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tawewe

Today I emailed all our Local TV stations, journalists, newspapers with the Libyan Lie.... from all the links and different blogs people have been posting on ATS, and links given from ATS members. I figured someone had to take it to mainstream...

Respect to you sir.

More of us need to do this ,to show we are not buying the bullsh#t were being fed ,the bias news that is poisoning the mass's.

reply to post by stirling

Far more life threatening on a huge scale is the bombing of Libyas water distribution system and the only factory that makes the pipes to repair it. This is tanamount to a hiddeous war crime.

I couldn't agree more with you ,it's tantamount to genocide.

reply to post by Required01

People wrecking and destroying there own culture and history?

Well the problem is ,that most of these are being destroyed by non residents of Libya ,who couldn't care less and are uneducated,and as for NATO who seem to be the worlds biggest Mafia ,I'm disgusted by them.

reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I'd really like to see all of this go back to haunt those who wanted to kick Gaddafi out.

Karma will prevail ,be rest assured.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
How long before someone bombs the Great Pyramid, or the Parthenon?

News like this hurts me more than anything else. It should hurt any self-respecting human being. Ancient artefacts are not national treasures, they are human treasures.

The world is morally bankrupt. As a species we have fallen, terribly.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

so the rebel forces are destroying cave painings and looting and nato(italy france etc) are bombing there cultures historical treasures in other country's.....this whole lybia thing is one big cluster screw ,historical sites should be preserved

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
How long before someone bombs the Great Pyramid, or the Parthenon?

News like this hurts me more than anything else. It should hurt any self-respecting human being. Ancient artifacts are not national treasures, they are human treasures.

The world is morally bankrupt. As a species we have fallen, terribly.

This has been on my mind. I thought of the Sphinx with great concern recently!

Here is a thread that makes me think that much of the World of our past is being destroyed right in front of our eyes; after years of fighting to preserve such places to have them all fall victim like this is horrendous! One day we may only have our old National Geographic Magazines to refer back to.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I know that the thread above does not detail any destructiveness on the part of this new Egyptian Government, but given the truth about what Islam (extremists of course) personally did to the Buddha in Afghanistan I am certain more is to come!

By the way, here is a picture I found of one of the paintings in question, I am saddened by it!

Here are some examples of what they should look like:

I especially liked this one!

new topics

top topics

join