It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you remember floating down the stairs?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

My mother is convinced I could do all sorts of things as a small child. Being able to launch myself from 13 stairs up slo-mo down stairs to land safely with a thud was the least of her frets. I did it on purpose because I thought/knew I could. The only time I've really ever experienced that feeling of slow motion since was when I got hit by a BMW going 80mph on a duel carriageway, so perhaps in reality I just threw myself down the stairs for a lark and the slow perception only happened in my mind.
I survived the years of stair abuse unscathed and the BMW with a bruised elbow - the BMW fared much worse and looked like a baby elephant had hit it.
Make of it all what you will, in real time I no doubt bounced off that car, or off them stairs like a brick, but during the slowed sensation of time maybe the brain could work so lightening fast as to be able to steer my body to land safely, even as I watched my reflection sail through the air in a huge bed shop window.

Perhaps we slo-mo'ers are carried to safety by unseen hands. Who knows?
Maybe I was just a small human lemming.

Small children on the whole have no fear of physical danger unless they experience it, time means nothing and all feel invincible. It could be that we put ourselves in a daydream / trance like state and were convinced we can or have done such things. If I could do that now perhaps I could happily walk across hot coals, but age brings fear of pain and untimely death and the strange occurances of childhood are cast aside as folly or dream.

I'm trying to recall when and what could have stopped me hurling myself off the stairs and delighting in the floating feeling, I think it was when I heard news my dear Great Grandmother had died. I was standing at the top of the stairs no doubt gearing myself up when the phone call came. I snapped out of it when I heard my poor Mother become hysterical, seriously hysterical with grief almost putting her hands through the kitchen window to tell my Dad who was cutting the lawn. The first time my childhood was marred by death and the first time I understood it's gravity.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
As kid I also used to dream I could float, and funnily enough most of the dreams like this were when I was staying at my gran's house. Unfortunately I can't remember much detail other than I wasn't always floating down the stairs, sometimes I was outside, and that I was only ever a few inches above the ground. I was probably about 6 or 7 at the time, give or take. Around the same time I also remember waking up to the feeling of floating motionless about 1ft above the bed and then crashing back on to it. Over the years I have rationalised this and just assumed it was either a vivid dream or that I had woken up mid body jolt but I've always had a weird feeling about it even to this day.

I can also relate to those who have mentioned being chased by an invisible force or person in a dream. I could never remember how the dream would start but they would always end with me at the front door of my house unable to move or scream... then I would wake myself up, which thankfully is something I have always been able to do when I don't like how a dream is going! I always just put this down to some kind of childhood insecurity or fear of the unknown.

For me though, the most common reoccurring dream I had as a kid was turning up at a school and then realising I had no trousers on, but no one else noticing. I've spoken to many friends about that dream and it's actually quite common! Again, childhood insecurity probably explains this one.

Great thread anyway

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I have an experience from my childhood that feels like a memory but looking back may have been imagination. My brother and I would play in the back yard and run really fast and jump with our arms extended and flying for short bursts of time.

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
ps: flying dreams are the best. I always feel so at peace when i fly in a dream!

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
OMG I've had the same dream...

Strange to think about. The floating sensation. and stairs... cool
edit on 27-11-2011 by truthinfact because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Floating down the stairs as a child is probably just a past memory or dream about being carried down the stairs as a child. I remember as a child large crowds would make me extremely tire id just fall asleep right there.
edit on 28-11-2011 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I did that quite alot as a kid. It ws funny seeing the thread title as I'd not come across a thread about this before on the net, or heard anyone else talk about having this experience. But yep, I did it alot
It must have been some kind of astral travel thing, but I never left the house. It was always just me flying/floating down the stairs without touching any of them on the way down. It was fun

posted on Nov, 30 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Going down a flight of stairs requires the learning child to set aside of very basic instinctual fear of falling from a great height. Yet the child sees others do it without injury, even with joyful bounds and jumps.

Perhaps the brain weaves the floating sensation into the learning experience as a way to short circuit the instinct to pull back. It feels like floating, but an outside observer would see tiny feet landing on wood, one after another. And then the proud exclamation, "I did it!"

As the coordination increases, the brain needs this mechanism less and less to decrease the inherent fear associated with this novel activity and the sensation fades. And the child learns to go up an down stairs without being conscious of the learning only of the pleasant feeling of flying or floating.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

Here is a new thread on the subject I just noticed:

I could float/hover downstairs as a child...could you?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
by dooleysleftleg
started on 4/15/2012 @ 05:04 PM

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
every time i think of someone floating down the stairs i picture this

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

I know this is an old post, but am replying because I need to. Yes, I had those dreams in childhood, teen years and young adult years. I would be going so fast that eventually my feet weren't really touching the stairs. I was propelling down the stairs holding the handrail, more like flying. I knew if I let go of the handrail, I would be totally out of control. I never had an ending to this dream.

Here is a different type of flying dream and what I concluded the reason:

Dream: About 3 or 4 years ago, I started having recurring dreams of walking down a huge curved hotel type staircase. I would be coming down quickly but not from being chased or anything. And always about halfway down the staircase my feet would start to sort of shuffle rapidly back and by doing this, I would start to fly. The people in the lobby totally ignored me as though they didn't see me at all. The ceiling gave way to open sky and I would be flying. It was always nighttime and the stars were out and I could see downtowns tall lighted buildings. I would look down and see the people in the lobby as though I could see through the walls. I was yelling to them because I was excited about flying, but they didn't hear me.
Conclusion/Reason: A few months ago, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea (did a sleep study) and given a Cpap machine. I was waking up approximately 8 times per hour and sometimes would stop breathing altogether. I have come to the conclusion that those were not really dreams but that I was dying in my sleep each time this occurred and my spirit was ascending. Why did I come to this conclusion, the dreams stopped once I started using the Cpap machine.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
im so glad i found this post as for years i thought i was mad or maybe hallucinated the experience

remember this event only happening once when i was a child
was in bed upstairs remember walking out of my bedroom getting to the stairs and just leaning forward next thing i know im on the bottom of the stairs on my feet
remember walking into the front room where my parents were and some of my uncles/aunts and just looking at them
before my father took me back upstairs to bed

i do recall the next day we spoke of this i told him i remember getting out of bed and leaning forward at the top of the stairs and then being on the bottom of the stairs stood on my feet

whats allways confused me about my fathers reply was these words and i`v rememberd them for decades
he said "son you were sleepwalking"
ok i can accept that but what has allways puzzled me is i was sleepwalking i can remember the event happening and i remember seeing my aunt and uncle that night
i didnt know they were coming that night as i never went to sleep when i knew uncle was coming to visit lol

is it common for sleepwalkers to remember events such as this?

im just glad im not mental and not the only person who hs experienced this

sorry for the long ish read

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Yes. Still have those sensations sometimes. Floating out of airplanes while napping, leaving the vehicle and realizing, oh cripes! I'm thousands of feet above the ground! Eiiii! That wakes me up.

Vertigo.

Stairs as a child, sure. One morning, around age 13, going downstairs to get picked up for school. Got floaty about 5 stairs from the bottom, and I don't know how long I was there, but found myself face down at the bottom of the stairs, peeling myself off the ground and late for school. Seizure? Maybe.

Honestly, when I got floaty as a young child, down stairs, my perception was weird too. As in, I could see my dead grandmothers looking back at me.

Another floaty event was in the backyard, the feeling that my legs could be folded, and I'd be floating about waist height, but my spirit would be holding me up above the ground. Magic carpet floaty.

The zoomy floaty down the stairs. Ghostly.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I can't quite put my finger on it but I can still picture being half way down the stairs- floating slowly.

Perhaps it is linked to being carried down the stairs as a child, I know from my flying dreams I can never seem to land where I want to, and sometimes I can't get as far as I want to, and this would link nicely with the idea of being carried as a child but not being in control of where you are going.

Imagine your dad is carrying you and you want to stop but your dad keeps walking- hence in your dream you can't land where you want to- you seem to keep going forward.

Imagine your dad putting you down before you want to be put down- hence in your dream you want to land on top of the hill but you lose your power and descend.

Never thought of it like that before, certainly very interesting.

At 28, I still have flying dreams but I no longer control my dreams, when I was a kid I used to be able to do pretty much what I wanted- it wasn't scripted, I could control pretty much everything that happened.

I also suffer from sleep paralysis if I sleep on my back, anyone else experience that?

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I had many memories of this, playing at floating down the stairs in the dead of night, and not being afraid, also of being woken up on the stairs whilst sleepwalking in actuality.

This led on in later life to seeing ghostly spirit figures also there at the bottom of the stairs, who were quiet and somewhat withdrawn in the way only a spirit can truly be, and recalling there had been 'friends' present in the childhood excursions.

I developed a lot of confidence in lucid exploration of what is generally refered to as the 'astral plane', walking through doors, walls, floating and flying, and i think the initial acceptance as a child plays a significant factor there, that you see this as something natural that you have always had the abilty to exercise. as an adult you could rationalise that it's just gravity spoils the fun during the waking hours.

Whilst these experiances i would relate to 'dream' in some sense, they also more significantly brought realisations of the nature of 'conciousness', particularly in terms of greater conciousness.

I would suggest then that anyone recalling memory of childhood floatings, or the same in adulthood, has this path being offered to them, if there is a concious desire to know and explore furthur, then the experiances can develop.

This may seem something of a potential joyride, but i would also warn of possible experiances and encounters that will induce fear and trauma, and that in general you will be tinkering around on the boundaries between life and death, were you might awake and feel the weight of your body upon the bed and face upon the pillow, feel every draught passing over it and every smell every scent within the room, as if for the first time, then thank you're lucky stars you made it back.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

I also suffer from sleep paralysis if I sleep on my back, anyone else experience that?

The sleep paralysis should be seen as a good defence mechanism of the body were you are undergoing experiances in dream that are crossing over into the concious decision making realm of the mind, and the potential danger of your physically acting them out.

So the short transitional period should be accepted, generally i would awake in the traditional Egyptian pose the dead were arranged in, arms folded across chest.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Solomons

It means that you seek freedom and try to rebel.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Suspiria
It is caused by an emotional trigger, a lot of police report seeing things in slow motion because when the adrenaline kicks in and they see action everything appears slow, one police officer reported seeing what he thought was a can flying through the air and he realized it was a bullet when he saw the police logo on it. It happens to me too, one I ran so fast that everything went in slow motion and I went in between to cars and ran on the road like a car, then my feet started to burn because the concrete had heated up my shoes, I actually felt my runners melt a bit and some of it stuck to my feet and burned like hell, I hurt my ankle from that. Also, whenever I'm not paying attention and someone throws something going towards me that could potentially cause pain I sense it, feel everything in slow motion, I turn quickly while everything else is slow and I catch it just before it hits me, like something out of a movie, people used to do this on purpose and throw a dodge ball at my face to watch me catch it and throw it back, I'm not even athletic. Even just earlier today, someone sitting behind me tapped me on the back because I hate getting touched and when he touched me he jumped back and I turned around quickly, everything else slow motion and I jumped up with my hand on his table, turned over the top of the table and punched him in the stomach with the other hand, I got in # for that, I was in school. It also happens sometimes when I play game involving speed and timing, for example, when I played subway surfers everything went in slow mo and I actually witnessed the game change the track in front of my eyes so I couldn't win despite the fact that they're not allowed to change it when I can see it. Cool to because I mentioned an emotional trigger and adrenaline causing it, both of those things can be faked, I can change my emotions and make my body pump adrenaline ( It's handy when people think your week and you can use adrenaline to both be stronger then them, beat the # out of them if they bully you and not feel pain all at the same time.) Hope that helpfull.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: billy197300

This is a funny post. When I was a child, I would have this dream ALOT. I would fall to sleep and dream I woke up and started to float. I would then float all over my house. The really strange thing is I would always wake up in the same location I was dreaming I was flying. Ex. If I was asleep dreaming I was floating through my kitchen and woke up, I would actually be laying in the floor in my kitchen. I never really thought about it too much and assumed that I was sleep walking. What do you think?
Very strange indeed
I had the strangest most vivid dreams too as a child, more so then now. Maybe a combination of young brains and a ton of imagination , or wrong memories ?

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
funny i had the dream too- and i believe i remember that i was convinced i could really float down the stairs - and i injured myself trying for real. at least thats what i think happened when i was very small. i´m convinced i got a mark on my forehead because of that. it curiously looks very similar to a small scar my father has on the same place.
but when i got older i found ways to jump and slide down that stair pretty well - i could make enormous jumps and land safely. almost like flying down ... its weird that so many people have the same kind of memories.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join