It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you remember floating down the stairs?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Some time ago on another discussion board, I remember viewing a long thread where people related memories of being able to gently float or fly down stairs as children. Now, it's quite easy to 'debunk' the idea that they actually defied gravity if you know how mutable memory is and how a child being carried might have the sensation of floating, but it was still interesting to me how many people shared the experience and in what ways. Some reported dreams rather than memories, but the theme of floating or flying up and down stairs in a way which felt effortless yet sensorily persuasive was prevalent, and I just find it interesting from a psychological point of view. But I put it in this area because I reckoned people would jump to the magical places pretty fast no matter what I wrote up here...

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sepermeru

Hmm weird, my grandmother used to tell me stories of her doing that exact thing when she was a little girl. I always figured it was just her trying to spark my imagination when I was a youngster, but that's very interesting.

She used to tell me if I closed my eyes and kept thinking about it over and over that I'd end up at the bottom of the stairs. Of course I took humor to it and pictured myself falling down the stairs.

Who knows, maybe there's something to it. The world is full of mystery.

Thanks!
edit on 29-8-2011 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

OH MY GOD. I thought I was crazy for having this memory. But I swear I could "float" or "jump" down an entire flight of stairs as a child. Its weird to hear other people have it too.

'"

I also sleptwalk as a child too and was semi-conscious and had memory of what I did while i slept walk. Doctors say people should have no memory of it but I know I did. I even asked my mom about it the next day without her bringing it up to me.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I remember falling down the stairs a couple years back, I hurt for days on end but floating ? That's a new one

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I had the same dreams as a child, it is extremely common...its purpose/meaning i don't know, it is not exactly something you can scientifically verify, interesting none the less though.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
So weird! I just thought of this memory not even an hour ago while sitting at the bus stop. I have no idea if it was my imagination as a child or what. Sometimes I have dreams of flying or flying around on my stomach just inches off the ground and whenever I wake up the feeling of familiarity is so strong!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I have either had a number of dreams of this, or I have actual memories of this. It's hard to tell the difference. Freaky that others have these memories. I thought I was the only one.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Could this just be a memory that isnt exactly as it was.?

I mean, parents always tell kids to be careful of stairs...they can be dangerous.
Kids add mystery to things they dont understand or they are scared of/

I used to dream about all sorts of weirdness when i was a kid.

Im sure most of you can remember a dream about hands coming out of the bed/walls and tickling you?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jar11
So weird! I just thought of this memory not even an hour ago while sitting at the bus stop. I have no idea if it was my imagination as a child or what. Sometimes I have dreams of flying or flying around on my stomach just inches off the ground and whenever I wake up the feeling of familiarity is so strong!

Same here. Odd feeling sometimes thinking about it. Like trying to remember the name of a song that's just on the tip of your tongue, or something.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Right, as I said, in the discussion some felt they had only dreamed of it, while others -- even though skeptical, knowing how strange memory can be, most of them -- felt it more like a memory of a real experience. I'm not claiming it was, just that it's interesting how many people both experience this and don't seem to know that others do as well.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I had many dreams of flying as a child but when it came to stairs it was more nightmarish. For some reason I had the fear that I was going to fall down them so when I got on them the stairs would warp and twist making me hold on for life. I wish I flew up and down them.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I posted this in a thread about a recurring dreamscape:

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

I don't have a memory of past dreams while dreaming. I think the physical sensation in the dream when I'm floating is that of contracing my muscles, mostly my core muscles in the abdomen, while leaning slightly forward and then I just seem to "lift off". I level off just a couple feet from the ground, still in a vertical standing position, and still leaning slightly forward. I begin to float/glide forward while looking at the people around me. This, as I recall takes place outdoors on a sidewalk. The people aound me don't seem to notice or perhaps I just think they don't notice when in actuality they do, but they don't think it's unusual. Either way, they do not respond to my floating.

As for the other dream, the feeling is definatly a feeling of speed and inertia. Not a feeling of space bending around me.

Who else seems to go to the same place every night in their dreams?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 8/29/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: oops

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I used to have this when I was a kid and frankly today it's hard to tell if it was real or just a dream now.

Thought I was just weird.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
The latest dream/nightmare I had, was with a girl who I kissed a long time ago, not really my soulmate but sometimes it feels like it but i doubt it cause she's a model now
. the dream starts off we are going down in an elevator together holding hands, she is leaning in and cuddling, it's a very tall tower it seems to take awhile for us to get down to the bottom floor but we get there. We are in a school. She has to go do something while I eat in the cafeteria,
I end up walking down one of the halls. I turn into the classroom and she is decapitated in a transparent tub..

I walk out of classroom and there is a blue eyed blonde haired woman with a devlish look, black shadows around her eyes.
She whips an axe at me and severs my thumb, I tell a brunette/black haired girl to run for help, I remember chasing her, she runs down some stairs, but I "float jump" like moon gravity. Duck under a rail like it's nothing, really bizarre kind of deal, people are astonished like it was impossible, which it was.

"she runs down some stairs, but I "float jump" like moon gravity..

made that post 30-7-2011 @ 01:18 AM in www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sepermeru
Some time ago on another discussion board, I remember viewing a long thread where people related memories of being able to gently float or fly down stairs as children. Now, it's quite easy to 'debunk' the idea that they actually defied gravity if you know how mutable memory is and how a child being carried might have the sensation of floating, but it was still interesting to me how many people shared the experience and in what ways. Some reported dreams rather than memories, but the theme of floating or flying up and down stairs in a way which felt effortless yet sensorily persuasive was prevalent, and I just find it interesting from a psychological point of view. But I put it in this area because I reckoned people would jump to the magical places pretty fast no matter what I wrote up here...

This is a funny post. When I was a child, I would have this dream ALOT. I would fall to sleep and dream I woke up and started to float. I would then float all over my house. The really strange thing is I would always wake up in the same location I was dreaming I was flying. Ex. If I was asleep dreaming I was floating through my kitchen and woke up, I would actually be laying in the floor in my kitchen. I never really thought about it too much and assumed that I was sleep walking. What do you think?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Well, maybe not "flying" down the stairs, but I do recall strong memories of "dreams"(?) where I needed only to concentrate intently, and I could levitate several feet off the ground, and "float" this way.
I also remember "floating" around about low treetop level, but never really being in familiar or identifiable neighborhood surroundings. Still, it was effortless, and soaring easily, like a bird.

Funny thing is, I'm pretty scared of heights in real life, yet these "memories" were of something "other", and not frightening at all, and almost calming in a strange way. In my "dreams" I had this miraculous "power" somehow.

I haven't thought of this for a long time, until reading this thread.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I used to have nightmares of being lifted out of my room and pulled down the stairs by a force that felt very unfriendly. I would hear voices as well, but I don't recall what they were saying.

Another time that sticks in my mind was when I was being carried out of my grandma's apartment late at night and I had a feeling of being drawn down a hallway and once I got outside, I seen a UFO above me. For some reason I said " I wish for a million dollars" to it, like it was granting me a wish. Looking back, I think the image of the UFO was made by the light fixers that were in the apartment hallway, which was straight and long. I don't get the wish part.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I have a vivid "memory" of floating down the hall of one of my childhood homes. There were no stairs, but I remember a sensation of floating in the hall.

I left that flat at age 18 months, so was very young.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Mate

As with a few people here and elsewhere I also recall having this dream many times as a child. I also vividly remember attempting to see if I could do it in reality. The outcome was a fail.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Could you be remembering being carried up and down the stairs. I know as a parent it is often the last walk I let my children make on their own.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join