It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Characters limited in posts and threads...4000-6000..maybe 10,000???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

But, if you are limiting everyone's posts because of some people excessively quoting, then perhaps you could also introduce a 100 character minimum limit to stamp out the one-liners.

I like that idea.. 100 character minimum for those who write so little as to be of no value. Good idea, Sherlock!

edit on 30-8-2011 by DragonriderGal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
My post count is low, so I get 5000 characters per post. I see that as pretty fair. If I post more I will get more?

I do agree quoting large posts is a bit of a problem.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by awareness10
hrm, it's hard to tell i mean i hate massive quotes too, but it's

kinda hard to tell who's sucking up here and who's actually just

saying it because they hate excessive quoting. I hate suck ups.

just saying...

I hate suck ups.

Thats Real-Talk !

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I've noticed that, if you copy and paste something into a thread, the character limit goes away.

example

Maybe the countdown is just to discourage people who pay attention to such things and won't really stop you if you go over.

There are ways around most every rule.

If you want to post an "EPIC THREAD", just write the whole thing in word, then copy and paste it into your thread. Chances are it will work.

ETA: I think the owners should be smart enough to think up a more effective way to get rid of those black holes created by the quote function.

edit on 8/30/11 by FortAnthem because: [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5a512f89c2dd.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Ive just been going through new threads and the character limit doesnt seem to be working.

I just counted 6898 in a post from someone with less posts than myself.....i can only post 6000.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

People have worked out a way of getting round it already.

EDIT: To the poster above....yup that has 8531 characters.

edit on 30-8-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

I think they're bluffing to try to get people to stop creating those black holes with the quote button.

Shhhh, its a secret.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I seem to be stuck at 5000 characters...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

you need that much to get your point across?

will never read anything that long, publish a book.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Although I agree there sould be limits on the size of posts - some on here can take a whole afternoon or longer to read, I see two issues here.

1st, why not limit everyone to the same number of characters? Just because someone has posted a lot of dumb replies and has a high post count does not mean they have something more valid to say than anyone else. Frequency od posting is by no means an indication of quality!

This still does not stop people from just postinng muti-part OP's or responces. As we have already seen, so what does this acheive?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

you need that much to get your point across?

will never read anything that long, publish a book.

I personally dont....look at how many threads ive published....bugger all

I come here to read

See....i still have 4590 left

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Yeah, cause people always put massive quotes of other members in their OP.

If you're gonna bring back the character limit to cut back on the over-quote black holes, you should at least allow us to have unlimited characters for the OP of a thread. This has already resulted in a few threads with 3 posts for the OP.

Completely stupid looking IMO.

Is this really what you want ATS to look like?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

You know...

I remember those days where I had to break up a large presentation into three or more parts. My blood pressure would go through the roof trying to get all parts posted in a row before another member hopped in and replied.

I've seen that happen before.

Made one hell of a convoluted mess.
It diminished the overall thrust of a thread.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
What happens when you exceed your allotment of 5000 characters in a reply? I did for the first time today. I was so involved with composing a reply that I failed to notice I had exceeded my 5000 limit. When I did look up my screen was blank and then it reset to ATS Home page. I searched for my reply and could not find it.

Is that punishment on here for not paying attention? That my whole story is bleep del gone to the ether ATS story incinerator? Gee, could have used a warning about that.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Well that's fair.

Those massive quotes bug the crap out of me. I never really know exactly what part they are quoting that they are replying to. I never do large whole reply quotes and rarely try to go more than two [maybe three] paragraphs when quoting an outside source.

But I do like writing large [hopefully thought provoking] opening pieces.

edit on 29-8-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

Greetings Slayer69:

But I do like writing large [hopefully thought provoking] opening pieces.

We agree.

Here is one example for consideration:

Will America's Nuclear Power Plants Fail in an 8.0 Earthquake?

We feel somewhat constrained - if not slighted - at the 5,000 character mark, as NO ONE has ever complained about our OP length. We have even PM'd 'staff,' with our question, to no avail.

In fact, your pyramid piece was one of the longest - and best - OP's we have ever had the pleasure of experiencing.

Please join the discussion at any of our 'deny nuke' signature threads (or click on a graphic) - we would appreciate your keen insight.

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]

edit on 10/11/2011 by thorfourwinds because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join