It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Characters limited in posts and threads...4000-6000..maybe 10,000???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
So i went to post a reply to a thread and at the bottom there is now a thing that counts the characters.

I was only allowed 4000 on the thread i was replying to (didnt bother in the end..not because of the 4000) but this one says i can have 6000 characters.

I looked it up in a search and it says its to do with the amount of posts....i have 2000 posts, and i think 10000 characters was allowed at 500 posts.

Whats going on??? Why all of a sudden am i limited to the amount of characters??
Ive never seen the countdown thing under the bit where you write your post/thread.
edit on 29-8-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: To change title to something more appropriate

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Never notice that before so perhaps it's a new feature. I don't see why you would really need to say more than that however. If you do your probably typing something that needs to be linked.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Thought it was a "bad hard drive" problem yesterday, looks like it was an update to the system.
Perhaps to cut down on War & Peace size replies.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Now i can only post 4000!!! lol....they updated the servers earlier...or they broke down...something happened because i couldnt post and i was directed to a screen showing servers lol.

I read this earlier

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Character counts in posts come in waves. 10,000 characters come once you have made 1000 posts total. 8000 comes after 500 posts. 6000 after 250 posts. etc.

I have 2002 posts now....and im limited to 4000 and 6000

Id never use that many as i rarely post threads, and i can say what i need to in less than that in general when replying to posts....well i think i can.

Now im editing there is no post character count thing....weird lol
edit on 29-8-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
The character limits were in place pre-forum upgrade and then it went away. The character limit (back then) increased as a member's time on the boards increased. Looks like the feature has been re-established.

P.s. I wonder how many people have noticed this change, yet... this thread would probably get more response in Board Business, don't be surprised if it gets overlooked here.

edit on 29-8-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I noticed the change, I didn't know what it was. I was about to ask a question about it.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Is there any way to change the forum????? Do i alert a mod and ask them to move it??

Thanks for the heads up

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Yep, hit the alert button on your opening post and then just ask a Mod. to move it...

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Thanks
Just asked them to move it to the one you suggested

EDIT: I asked a mod to comment too

edit on 29-8-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Well so much for EPIC threads.

I better stop it says I now only have 3830 characters left.
I'm going to save em up and trade them in for an ATS heart lung machine.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
hrm...

Maybe "those people" with MASSIVE quotes of entire posts with entire quotes of entire posts will start to pay attention.

More soon.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Well that's fair.

Those massive quotes bug the crap out of me. I never really know exactly what part they are quoting that they are replying to. I never do large whole reply quotes and rarely try to go more than two [maybe three] paragraphs when quoting an outside source.

But I do like writing large [hopefully thought provoking] opening pieces.

edit on 29-8-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Quite annoying to scroll through a huge quote only to get to the bottom and find a one-liner, so I do understand the point as well. (Those who are guilty of Massive quotes lengths) take notice...

edit on 29-8-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
hrm...

Maybe "those people" with MASSIVE quotes of entire posts with entire quotes of entire posts will start to pay attention.

More soon.

Haha thanks SO.....it will certainly help

I wasnt digging at you or your staff, i wasnt sure if it was only myself experiencing this as i couldnt find a recent thread on it and i had received no message explaining that you had implemented this

It will certainly help with that aspect....it is annoying having to scroll down, and down, before you even get to read what the poster has replied.

Thanks for the clarification

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I really disliked HATED the character limit. I was very glad to see it gone.

Surely there is a better way to address the nested quote problem?

This sucks.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
hrm, it's hard to tell i mean i hate massive quotes too, but it's

kinda hard to tell who's sucking up here and who's actually just

saying it because they hate excessive quoting. I hate suck ups.

just saying...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Why not implement a system where if you have a title or rank like "Writer" ( in the case of Slayer69) you can write past the post limit. The status is mostly given to those who follow the rules and are considerate. I say this cause I enjoy reading Slayer69's Epic threads. (Which helps expands my brain horizon every now and then).

Either way the long quotes were indeed annoying so it is perfectly understandable.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

word counter just popped up for me yesterday; found it to be quite obnoxious.

goes hand-in-hand with the 'framed' post box for members of a given level highlighting what are often really poor sentiments.

perhaps word limits would be better in the OP itself. how many people see an OP that rambles down the screen for a lengthy time and are not willing to devote the 15-30 minutes it takes to find the prize at the bottom of the Cracker Jacks box?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I've been guilty of excessing quoting at times.. mainly because I answer the questions of the original poster and it is in their thread the question is available. I really hate when people post 'answers' and I can't even tell who the heck they are talking to, much less what issue they are addressing.

And yeah, sometimes I've been lazy and just quoted the whole dang post, rather than take time to dig out the various questions I am answering. But I'm snipping the posts now. Leaving the first and last paragraph so people can tell who I'm responding to and which post, so that if someone has a question, they can go back and reference the original post.

But I can get some long posts all on my own, answering a question or explaining what I see in the Racial Unconscious. It gets lengthy because so much of that stuff isn't common knowledge so there ends up being a lot of 'back story' so to speak. Guess I'll either have to break it into two posts or not tell the back story, which will then result in a lot more questions, I've found. Blah.
edit on 30-8-2011 by DragonriderGal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

But, I thought that was already against the T&Cs ?

I've often seen posts that were ''snipped'' because they contained a quote of an extensively worded post in its entirety.

It doesn't seem right to restrict the number of characters in a post for those who use the quoting feature correctly, just because some other members may misuse the feature.

In a discussion which may involve a variety of sub-points to the thread at hand, it is often necessary - for the flow of debate and ease of understanding - to multi-quote the post which you are replying to. The quoted passages will take a sizeable chunk out of the permitted characters which you can use in your reply.

This curtails the freedom of being able to post your thoughts as you see fit, as you constantly have to keep half an eye on how close to the limit you are. Yes, you can split your reply into two messages, but that just makes it more awkward for everyone concerned, and the posts more inaccessible to the reader.

But, if you are limiting everyone's posts because of some people excessively quoting, then perhaps you could also introduce a 100 character minimum limit to stamp out the one-liners.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join