It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SO MUCH FOR DOOMSDAY: Comet Elenin breaking apart...

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

Allow me to quote you for a second.

No, Leonid Elenin's opinion on the subject means absolutely nothing to me. He is nothing more than a Russian amateur astronomer who just so happens to have been the person who found Elenin. Him discovering Elenin doesn't grant him the scientific knowledge to understand how Comets behave. I would bet that Phage has more knowledge than that guy.

So which is it? In your last post you just said that Leonid Elenin does not have the scientific knowledge to determine whether or not C/2010 X1 is breaking up. Now however his word is suddenly the final authority on the matter. Isn't that just a tad hypocritical? Either way I have sent Leonid Elenin an email asking him to clarify his views on whether or not the comet is breaking up.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Wrong. I said that he was asking Theperfectminds to post more images of Elenin. I said nothing about him being scientifically qualified. Just because you would like to believe that I contradicted myself, the facts and the truth prove otherwise. Keep on grasping at straws though bro. Like I have been saying all along, Elenin isn't breaking up, and it never was breaking up.

~SheopleNation

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

If it is not breaking up could you please explain why it is growing even dimmer and more elongated as time passes? Also how is it able to not release condensation, something we have only seen in comets that are breaking up if it is not broken up. I will leave you with a link to this post which shows the progression Elenin has made since the middle of August. It is demonstrating the exact characteristics one would expect of a comet that is breaking apart and you continue to call it reckless speculation.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Since, in the past, Theperfectminds has claimed to have taken images of the comet when it was below the horizon (4 AM on September 2) I find this interesting.

Can you point out evidence that Leonid Elenin has asked Theperfectminds to post more images?

edit on 9/8/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

He has only stated he will review the pictures from Francis.. Francis was using a Robotelescope from rentascope or something like that. Images are from Australia.

Comet is not breaking up and is solid/bright as it was before.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

it was the lens being used and where Elenin was that made people believe it was breaking up. Elenin is healthy and is not breaking up.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Old77

Thank you.
That clarifies the situation.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Old77

Several observers came to the conclusion the comet was breaking up, independently. Including Robert McNaught who was using this 0.5 meter lens:

www.mso.anu.edu.au...

We're going to have to wait a couple of weeks before we find out who's right now though.
edit on 9/8/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
But like I said before...
...What does it matter if it is breaking up or staying together?

If this comet does not break up, then it remains the average.not very remarkable comet that it has been predicted to be. Elenin wil just swing on through this general part of the solar system and leave again, without affecting the earth and possibly without being very visible -- if visible at all.

If it is breaking up, then it is simply doing what many other comets before it have done -- and have done without much notice by the average person and without any ill effects to the Earth.

I mean, why do we care so much that an unremarkable comet remains unremarkable (remains unchanged), or breaks up in would probably be an unremarkable manner?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Old77

The lens and position of the comet might explain the dimming, but it does not explain the elongation or the lack of condensation. These two factors, moreso than the dimming, are what have lead people to state that Elenin is breaking up. So far no one claiming that Elenin is still in one piece has been able to explain why it is exhibiting characteristics only seen in comets that are breaking apart. Instead, they have questioned the integrity and ability of such seasoned astronomers as Robert McNaught.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation
So get this straight, Elenin is not breaking up now, and it was never breaking up period. Just like others and I have been saying

Just like you've been saying? ... and you are qualified in what way exactly to make this assumption? YouTubeology?

IRM

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

September 6 image from Mattiazzo.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

so is elenin still in the process of disintegrating or... what is this picture showing? because it just looks like a cloud of dust now

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

That's what it looks like.
That could be the last look we get from ground based telescopes for a while. Elenin is setting too soon after sunset to be visible. The next look we get will be on the 23rd when it (or what's left of it) will appear in SOHO imagery.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by bjsmi2
SO MUCH FOR DOOMSDAY: Comet Elenin (C/2010 X1), widely known for inaccurate reports of its threat to Earth, appears to be breaking apart.

spaceweather.com...

Yup - and after it broke up, it started slowing down - it was due to pass Earth's Orbit October 18th and now it is extrapolated to pass on November 3rd - right when earth will be in the way :

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Woo, another baseless YouTube video about Elenin, who'd a thunk it.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Theophoros

More nonsense.

Its orbit hasn't changed since it was discovered. What has changed is the accuracy of the calculations of its orbit. More observations = more accuracy. The calculated orbit has been essentially unchanged since January.

Please show when perihelion was ever calculated to occur on September 8th (as claimed in the foolish video), but before you try you should look at this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

(Some of the nonsense posted here on ATS has actually turned out be useful!)
edit on 9/9/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

we already knew someone would attempt to find a way to cause yet more panic and confusion........was this really a good idea? jeez

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by oxbow
Woo, another baseless YouTube video about Elenin, who'd a thunk it.

Prove that its baseless, homie...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

More nonsense.

Its orbit hasn't changed since it was discovered. What has changed is the accuracy of the calculations of its orbit. More observations = more accuracy. The calculated orbit has been essentially unchanged since January.

Please show when perihelion was ever calculated to occur on September 8th (as claimed in the foolish video), but before you try you should look at this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

(Some of the nonsense posted here on ATS has actually turned out be useful!)
edit on 9/9/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31 >>

join