It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SO MUCH FOR DOOMSDAY: Comet Elenin breaking apart...

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

You don't come into this asking the questions.

Wrong.

Unless you can prove that Elenin has broken up, which you can't, your questions are meaningless.

the question is meaningful - you opined that one speculation was "reckless" - I asked what you consider other speculations.

It is a perfectly simple question, easily answered, that you continue to sidestep.

Had you answered it I probably would ahve said "thanks", and nothing more, but you chose to evade......c'est la vie

I apologize if me not falling for your deflective tactics upsets you.

I am not upset - I am also not surprised that you duck and weave and refuse to answer such a simple question, and instead attack me, try to deflect my attention from the question I asked, ignore you own lies and misdirection, and generally act like someone who has no answers.

Indeed as you squirm it has become quite amusing - a "text book case" in evasion and in such a short space of time - obvious, tactless, crude - all that I have often seen elsewhere but much more concentrated.

Thanks

Are you angry today? ~SheopleNation

not in the least. are you

edit on 5-9-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: just my usual carp typing

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

The fact that you're calling reports from Robert McNaught, Leonid Elenin, Sydney Stargazers, and other astronomers as reckless speculation. They have reported that there is no condensation which has only ever been observed in comets that are in the process of dissolving. There are also pictures that seemingly show Elenin's nucleus in at least three pieces. Could whole comets stop producing condensation? Sure. We've never seen it, but it could be possible. Could astronomers be wrong about the images their seeing? Once again it's possible. However, it is hardly reckless speculation, especially since the only counter example you have is to an anonymous YouTube user who managed to image "Elenin" before it even rose. Sure, Elenin could still be in one piece, but all the evidence is pointing to the fact that this non-issue is going to come to a spectacularly anti-climactic conclusion.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

You're attempting, and let me stress ATTEMPTING, To have me answer your questions about subjects that I have not commented on in the past. What? You decide to make a list of questions for me that have nothing to do with the subject we were discussing which was if Elenin broke apart or not? Like I said before, You don't ask the questions, And I am certainly not here to amuse you by becoming your pet project while answering them.

~SheopleNation

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

That very well could be the case. Just as it could very well be the case that it turns out that it was reckless speculation.

On another note, Elenin's orbit has not changed according to Nasa because they still show it the same on their Website. So, and maybe Phage can help us out with this question, if Elenin indeed did break apart, why is it still shown there and wouldn't it's Orbit slow down or speed up? I don't know the answer to that. Maybe someone else here does. ~SheopleNation

Elenin's Orbit

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Its orbit won't change. You have to remember that space is a vacuum and unless some outside force acts on an object its speed and direction won't change. If Elenin had exploded then you would notice a difference. Or if it ran into another object. In this case however, Elenin is simply disintegrating due to the heat of the Sun. Nothing is pushing against it to slow it down and nothing is pushing it in another direction. In pieces or whole Elenin should keep right on the same orbit. This is the same case for every comet we have seen disintegrate.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

The last observation which the JPL applet uses was August 2.

But no, the disintegration of the nucleus would not cause any substantial change to the orbit in the short term. Any fragments would follow the original orbit.
edit on 9/5/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

X, That's assuming that if it in fact did disintegrate, or is disintegrating correct? ~SheopleNation

edit on 5-9-2011 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I've asked this question a few times, and it might sound really stupid, but why has every website I've been visiting to see pictures of Elenin stopped updating since people speculated she had disintegrated?

I've not seen a single picture since 2nd September. Even if there's nothing to see anymore, it would beat taking everyone elses word for it.

Does anyone have a legit pic from the last day or two?
(Forgive my stupid if this has already been asked/shown)

edit on 5-9-2011 by Deplume because: fail spelling is fail

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thank you for clarifying that Phage. I do realize that you do have alot of knowledge concerning the subject. ~SheopleNation

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Deplume

It is getting difficult to catch Elenin with a telescope from Earth. It's getting close to the Sun so is only in the sky for a short time after sunset. Also, the Moon is getting brighter. That makes looking at very dim objects a problem.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Deplume

It is getting difficult to catch Elenin with a telescope from Earth. It's getting close to the Sun so is only in the sky for a short time after sunset. Also, the Moon is getting brighter. That makes looking at very dim objects a problem.

Ahh Okay, Thank you.
Guess we'll just have to wait all the speculation out.
Now where did I put my emergency patience supply...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deplume
Guess we'll just have to wait all the speculation out.

That would be, Reckless "specualtion" bro.

........Just kiddin!
~SheopleNation

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

You asked the question of what would happen to its orbit if it broke up. I responded to your question. If you would like I can also quote Leonid Elenin regarding this very fact.

Such a breakup of small comets passing near the Sun is not rare, and in that is nothing surprising. I note that this is a breakup, not an explosion. All the pieces continue to move on the comet’s trajectory. The large fragments are likely to continue to disintegrate into smaller ones.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The bottom line is that if it is breaking up, it's not a big deal -- it is not uncommon for comets to do that. If it isn't breaking up, it's still not a big deal.

This is a relatively average comet that should not adversely affect the Earth in any noticeable way, just like the many other average comets that have passed through our very general area of the solar system before.

I have yet to read anything from the hucksters who are spouting doom and gloom concerning this comet that is backed up with any reliable evidence for that doom and gloom. The evidence about Elenin being a threat to the Earth is so shoddy that I don't understand why people are believing this false information.

edit on 9/5/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation

You're attempting, and let me stress ATTEMPTING, To have me answer your questions about subjects that I have not commented on in the past. What? You decide to make a list of questions for me that have nothing to do with the subject we were discussing which was if Elenin broke apart or not?

I asked 1 question originally - and then I added one on the basis that you weer asking people about evidence that it was breaking up - which they presented - and you stated as a fact that it was not breaking up so I asked what your evidence is for that.

Good for goose and gander and all that.

got any questions for me?? I'll do mybest to answer them

Like I said before, You don't ask the questions,

Wrong, yet again! Anyone and everyone is entitled to ask questions on here.

Some people are even polite enough to answer them.

And I am certainly not here to amuse you by becoming your pet project while answering them.

And yet here you are amusing me and becoming my "pet project" by not answering them!!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Here's a little bit of de ja vu with a side of unrealized doom for all you frightened friends.
I'd also like to point out that it appears our friendly neighborhood astronomers, so far, have a decent track record for being right about these things.

As Halley's Comet approached the sun in 1910, astronomers announced that Earth would actually pass through the tail of this comet during May of that year. They assured everyone that our planet was safe and suggested the possibility of some spectacular sunsets. Meanwhile, the doomsayers latched onto a potential link: if comets contain a poisonous gas and if Earth is going to pass through the comet's tail, then the people of Earth were in serious danger. Numerous newspapers actually published this story. Astronomers countered by saying the material in the tail was so spread out that there could be no ill affects, but few newspapers published this accurate information. Interestingly, a minor panic arose in some cities and entrepreneurs took advantage of it. They sold "comet pills" which were said to counter the effects of the poisonous gas. The pills sold like crazy. On May 20, after Earth had passed through the tail, everyone who had taken the pills was still alive...but, then, so was everyone else.

Beginning in 1996 minor forms of comet hysteria reared their ugly head for the first time since 1910. With the discovery of comet Hyakutake and the realization that it would pass close to Earth, some supermarket tabloids reported the comet was actually going to hit Earth--totally ignoring the predictions of astronomers. The due date came and went without a hitch and there was no further discussion.

Although the year 2000 was still three years away, comet Hale-Bopp caused a more significant form of comet hysteria in 1997. This comet was one of the largest comets ever seen and there were doomsayers who took this as something very significant. There were predictions that the comet would bring the end of the world on April 1, which was the date the comet would be closest to Earth. Although this mention of a "close approach" perked up the ears of the doomsayers, the reality of this was that the comet was over 120 million miles away--further from us than the sun. There was no chance that any particle of this comet was going to reach Earth. Subsequently, there was no end to the world--once again.

Sadly, there is another aspect to Hale-Bopp's appearance which contributed to the ritual suicide of 39 members of a religious cult on March 26, 1997. An amateur astronomer had taken a photo of the comet during November of 1996 that he claimed showed a UFO following the comet. The "UFO" was actually a star that was present on every photo ever taken of that region.

cometography.com...

So will everyone please just calm down? Stop worrying, enjoy life. Have a drink, I'd buy ya one if I could. Kick back, relax, enjoy the beautiful night sky. If something crazy should happen someday well, I'd like to think what better way to go than with a light show like that!?
edit on 5-9-2011 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
A shining ray of light in the darkness. Thank you, Seeker11

edit on 6-9-2011 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
And yet here you are amusing me and becoming my "pet project" by not answering them!!

Hey my friend, Whatever fantasy that helps you get through your day. I must say that it is very entertaining watching you come unhinged.

~SheopleNation

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

And I appreciate you answering my question. No, Leonid Elenin's opinion on the subject means absolutely nothing to me. He is nothing more than a Russian amateur astronomer who just so happens to have been the person who found Elenin. Him discovering Elenin doesn't grant him the scientific knowledge to understand how Comets behave. I would bet that Phage has more knowledge than that guy. Thank you for the reply though. ~SheopleNation

edit on 6-9-2011 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Apparently now, Leonid Elenin is requesting that the Perfect Minds make more videos of his Elenin shots. So get this straight, Elenin is not breaking up now, and it was never breaking up period. Just like others and I have been saying, it was nothing short of, Are you ready......................................

RECKLESS SPECULATION!!!

~SheopleNation

edit on 7-9-2011 by SheopleNation because: Video correction

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31 >>

join