It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google thinks Godaddy > God

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I have known about this for a while now but I figured it was time to make a little thread about it. We all know google suggests terms now as you type them out. The process is called autocomplete. Nothing really to get into about that....

But here is my concern. When I type in GOD/god/God in Google....GoDaddy is the first term suggested. Now because of the fact that the system itself works based on popularity of searches one must start to think...

SO we are in a society where the largest registrar of domains in the world is now more popular (online) than god in terms of searches. And think about it...and do the search and see what is ahead of God in terms if popularity.

I know we live in a young, technological society and I realize the amount of domains registered but still.......

I hope I am not the only one to see the hidden meanings here.
edit on 29-8-2011 by Smell The Roses because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
It's not "cool" to be a Christian these days. use bing. god is first in searches there.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I think it has more to do with money than anything religious related.

GoDaddy makes Google money by offering domains for sale so people can use Googles ad services.

As if you run searches on both keywords you will see God has 1.6 billion results and Godaddy as 97 million results.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by eightonefive
It's not "cool" to be a Christian these days. use bing. god is first in searches there.

That raises another question though. Now you have to think because Google is the king are they manipulating the search because of money? GoDaddy is surely a paying sponsor/advertiser...

The thing is that the suggested autocomplete searches are NOT supposed to be influenced by cash.

And then really let your brain explode and wonder why if Google was cashing in, why wouldn't good old greed monster Microsoft be right there with them?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
actually, a quick check on Google's Adwords Keyword Tool shows us that

"God" receives 301,000 monthly searches

vs.

"Godaddy" at 823,000 monthly searches

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Not really the best info but it is relevant......

After a recent conversation with Mat Siltala touching upon the accuracy of Google Suggest, we’ve decided to go straight to the source and interview both Google Suggest and Bing Suggest.

Source
edit on 29-8-2011 by Smell The Roses because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by quango

vs.

Like I was saying...............this is a clear indication of the society we are living in.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Smell The Roses

To be fair, this is exact term only, so it doesn't take into account all of the potential variations of searching for "God", but yeah, you get the idea...

If you allow for broad search results, it swings into God's favor by a tune of 55million to 3.5million
edit on 29-8-2011 by quango because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smell The Roses

Originally posted by quango

vs.

Like I was saying...............this is a clear indication of the society we are living in.

What is it exactly that you are implying here???? Well if you're that concerned about people not searching for god on the internet, take your bible and start going door to door and preach............
edit on 29-8-2011 by jheated5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

How so? Because people aren't using the internet to search their religious beliefs?

There is a myriad of reasons on why domain register would be searched more often than God in searches.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The auto complete feature assumes you are going to continue entering text, hence it gives you words starting with"god-". I think you are reading into that too much.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I can understand why Google would make such a claim.
There's been times when watching a Go Daddy commercial or an online ad, that I've been known to blurt out,..

"OH MY GOD!"

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Timing

How so? Because people aren't using the internet to search their religious beliefs?

There is a myriad of reasons on why domain register would be searched more often than God in searches.

Meh I beg to differ. The internet is the holy grail of information. Any type of information whether religious or not is more accessible and talked about online than anywhere else...this is due to the networking capabilities of the internet.

That being said with 2012 approaching and all the fear mongering etc would you not think that searches for god would be elevated and possibly higher than a domain registrar?

Just seems odd. I knew not everyone would share the same feelings about this but that is the beauty of opinions.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

As if you run searches on both keywords you will see God has 1.6 billion results and Godaddy as 97 million results.

BUT a lot more people search for Godaddy, than god.
So it makes sense that godaddy will come up first.

They determine what comes up based on how popular the search terms are...this is a problem with society, not Google.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

BUT a lot more people search for Godaddy, than god.
So it makes sense that godaddy will come up first.

They determine what comes up based on how popular the search terms are...this is a problem with society, not Google.

And the worst part is that "God" is the first 3 letters of "GoDaddy" and yet it still doesn't come up first.
It comes up 4th!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I really enjoy this type of stuff.

Another fun site is Google Insights for Search

For Godaddy, you can see a obvious, short-lived spike each Feb, corresponding with their Super Bowl commercials.

Similarly, checking out God shows a much smaller, but still visible spike, each March or April, corresponding with Easter.

Quite interesting the way what is going on around us, or in the media, influences our search habits... just as another example, searching John Lennon shows an obvious spike every December - the anniversary of his death. The spike is even higher than usual in 2005 and this past Dec 2010, which were the 25th and 30th respectively. Obviously, these "special" anniversaries get even more media coverage, hence more searches.

Sorry if this was a tangent, but I enjoy looking at this type of info...

edit on 29-8-2011 by quango because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by eightonefive

Bing, yahoo and google all had godaddy first. Ask.com had God first, plus your searches are truly anonymous and private.

edit on 29-8-2011 by Deja`Vu because: (no reason given)

link   
I'm having a hard time understanding why people all of a sudden think that the Internet is replacing church now.

Does it not make sense that religious types that tend to use the internet already have their favorite religious forums and other religious materials already bookmarked and therefore no need to use a search engine?

I think it would also make sense that people don't go looking for God on the internet.

link   
reply to post by quango

I agree with you. I work in marketing and following the trends and patterns of our current society really opens your eyes to the world we live in.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
It's a prediction of what you will type, type in 'go and your first result is google.

Therefore google is god.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join