It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World peace? Maybe, maybe not.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
After reading this forum for a while, I started to become quite jaded. All this talk about government conspiracies, coverups, the war in Iraq is giving me a cynical view of the world. Sometimes I wish it were a nicer place to live. Now don't get me wrong, im not naive enough to think that it is possible in our lifetime let alone ever. What am I am proposing is a meeting of the minds to try to make the world a better place on a smaller scale.

Take into account the problems involved in such an endeavor. First and foremost, the problem is people. As you already know, those that are wealthy have power, they crave more power. Power can be achieved through war, misleading the masses, and secrecy. The outnumbering middle and lower class don't usually have a say in internal politics, no matter what kind of "elections " occur. In addition, they middle and lower classes are "selfish" in the way that they want to make something of their life. Usually their needs will take first place to the needs of the world. Any solution you can come up with won't work because it is nearly impossible to convince 10 billion people to give up their desire for power, wealth, and persuit of more STUFF.

The alternative? Forced bondage and slavery of the world under one omnipotent ruler! err........no.. That would be too extreme. How about having America conquer the world and shape it entirely in its image? Hmph.. I don't think so. We aren't that perfect ourselves, and it is really a matter of diffrent ideologies.

So you see the problem before us. The world is becoming a dangerous place to live in. While we sit here and post on our forums, complaining about the state of the world. How many of us are actually doing anything about it. We have one of the greatest collection of minds on the internet. Minds that are practically invulnerable to ignorance and propaganda. The main weapons of the government. (Besides those pesky feds).

We need to start coming up with ideas and fast, becuase the responsibility belongs to us. Have any of you ever seen "Life of Brian"?

Right. Now, uh, item four: attainment of world supremacy within the next five years. Uh, Francis, you've been doing some work on this.
Yeah. Thank you, Reg. Well, quite frankly, siblings, I think five years is optimistic, unless we can smash the Roman empire within the next twelve months.
Twelve months?
Yeah, twelve months. And, let's face it. As empires go, this is the big one, so we've got to get up off our arses and stop just talking about it!
Hear! Hear!
I agree. It's action that counts, not words, and we need action now.
Hear! Hear!
You're right. We could sit around here all day talking, passing resolutions, making clever speeches. It's not going to shift one Roman soldier!
So, let's just stop gabbing on about it. It's completely pointless and it's getting us nowhere!:
Right!
I agree. This is a complete waste of time.

You see my point right?
Okay, I'll stop talking now, and we come up with realistic plans for change. Not grand world changing ones, but one step at a time changes...........................*looks at watch*...............GO!

p1

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   

So you see the problem before us. The world is becoming a dangerous place to live in. While we sit here and post on our forums, complaining about the state of the world. How many of us are actually doing anything about it. We have one of the greatest collection of minds on the internet. Minds that are practically invulnerable to ignorance and propaganda. The main weapons of the government. (Besides those pesky feds).

I dont mean to sound like a pompous a$$, but theres nothing WE can do. We're just puppets. Hell, probably lower then that in the view of the big governments, perhaps, we're just a paycheck.

See, the world is a screwed up place. We have many religionous beliefs, that all clash with eachother causing anger. Mix this anger with money and you have wars. Mix in the power trip and power mongering from the weathly and you have big wars.

The Earth as we know it will never be at peace. Not until a threat comes along that puts all the bickering and power struggles to a rest. A comet, a world damaging epidemic that threatens not just the sheep *us* but also threatens the worlds powers.

I dont mean to sound synical, but the sheep in the dens may not like the way they are treated, but do we care? The civilians of the world may not like how they are treated, but do *they care?

The powers that be already have a plan, and theres no amount of whining crying or organizing that we can do that will stop it.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I think its my turn to sound optimistic. I know its a cliche but NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!

You may think that the world will always be in a bad state and there is nothing we can do but that is just not true, its loser talk.

Now I believe that it is those in power who are to blame, as well as the media that they control. Those in power walk hand in hand with the ultra rich. Those in power want to stay in power and those who are ultra rich want to be even richer.

It is this top few percent of society who are primarily to blame. As pretty much all of the world is capitalist (a fact that sickens me) there will always be this upper crust who are in power, have all the wealth, control the media so control the masses. It is this 1% of people who have control and the world will not be a better place until they are gone.

Now by this point I assume you're thinking, 'Idealistic youth rantings, no idea, has Lenin as his avatar...EVIL COMMIE!'. Despite this I still think it is this 1% who are the problem. They use their political power to maintain order through force, they control all the majority of the wealth whilst everyone else has to work or die. They control the media so can brainwash the population with their propaganda and turn people into sheep.

Still there is hope. There is always hope. You can only push people so far before they snap. 'Everything is temporary', as the Buddha once said. And its true. I cannot say exactly how things will change but I am certain that they will.

This post is in no way thorough or completely well thought out. I could probably go into detail theorising how do bring down society (ever seen Fight Club?) but with these damn anti-terror laws thats a crime.

I lwould really like to here other peoples views on what I have said. As long as it is constructive.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Both excellent arguements from opposite ends of the spectrum.

P1 believes we can't change until something cataclysmic occurs, that is out of the hands of our "oppressers". But isn't it also true that after the smoke clears, it is the people with more so-called wealth (whether it be supplies or assets) that will once again begin to rise to the top of the society. Those with nothing will be forced to work for them.

Eddie999 believes that change is inevitable and some sort of karmic balancing act will occur down the line. The fact that things constantly change is definitley true. Nothing can remain the way it is because of how entropy works. I always like to have hope that things will improve. A definite problem is that idealistic youth are not taken seriously. Despite having the right idea, our age is a simple reason to be ignored. The same way that people ignore crazyfolk on the street. Oh.. and rightious mention of Buddha and Fight Club in the same post.

Now I want to propose a broad solution. This is simply throwing an idea out. It requires much tweaking. It seems to me that money is indeed the root of all evil. Perhaps moving toward a society where money is not the central focus would improve the quality of life. What kind of alternative systems can we provide? Barter? Communism? Running on Hampster wheels for credits?
What do you guys think.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Everybody longs for a more peaceful place to live, where you can keep your doors unlocked at night and you are seen for who you are and what you represent instead of color ,creed or race! If this is going to happen we have to start with our future. By saying our future I mean our children! We have to teach them the value of human life and that it's precious. To judge ppl by the way they treat you and not by the way they look.I know this is easier said then done but if we are gonna have world peace its going to happen when our children take over what we as a society have left them. They are going to run the world the way they were taught . They are going to bring their values and morals into play. We need to go back to some "old school" and remember that it all starts at home! Parents need to be parents! And kids need to be taught right from wrong. And that life is precious and valueable. Until we can do that as a society I really don't think we can achieve world peace.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I think you hit the nail on the head there DragonFly5. The great philospher Plato says in his work on an ideal society, 'Republic' that children must be educated in a certain way from a very young age. If children could be taught not to be prejudiced to anyone or discriminate against anyone then they would never do it all their lives.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I actually like this idea. By teaching our children morals, and the value of life, we can set the stage for a better tommorow. Although children tend to be rebellious, especially around my age. It is one of things I am worried about. How to educate children on these topics without being forceful. My family didn't really teach me any of these things, yet I somehow learned them myself. I am concerned that I won't be able to get through to my kids.

Regardless, this is still a very good idea. It is exactly the kind of little step I am talking about. By giving our children morals and making them value life, we are definitley making a difference. Good work guys! Now what kind of methods would we use to teach our kids?

new topics

top topics

join