It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What it is to be Missionary Baptist and what we believe.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazloFarnsworth
Near my home there is:

The New Hope Baptist
The Missionary Baptist
The Mount Zion Baptist
The Freewill Baptist
The Temple Baptist

I thinking everyone is confused...as I am. Someone's gotta be wrong.

There are also supporters of different football-teams, different political ideologies and the generally grumpy. As long as they stay away from excessive amounts of alcohol or holiness, it shouldn't be a problem.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Near my home there is:

The New Hope Baptist
The Missionary Baptist
The Mount Zion Baptist
The Freewill Baptist
The Temple Baptist

Its not about who is wrong and who is right. We all believe in Jesus Christ even if we have different interpretations on scripture and doctrine. Jesus Christ is the tie that binds us together, we are ALL wrong in the eyes of the Lord. Point blank, stop following religion and take up your cross and follow Jesus Christ.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Near my home there is:

The New Hope Baptist
The Missionary Baptist
The Mount Zion Baptist
The Freewill Baptist
The Temple Baptist

Its not about who is wrong and who is right. We all believe in Jesus Christ even if we have different interpretations on scripture and doctrine. Jesus Christ is the tie that binds us together, we are ALL wrong in the eyes of the Lord. Point blank, stop following religion and take up your cross and follow Jesus Christ.

Nice set of double standards: We are all equal....MY way.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

After i have witnessed to you, i do as the Lord bids and "kick the dust of my shoes" and move on, i have far too many people to witness to and in such a short little time, ... All i do is plant the seed and roll on.

That dust kicking is something like a curse.

Three workers were sent out into the field. The first one had the bag of seed. The second, the irrigator, had a sprinkle can of water. The third had the scythe for harvest.

The harvester, not having anything to harvest, caught up to the sprinkler. "what's going on here?" he asked.

"Every time I come upon some one in the field, he's choking on dust, and blinded by dust in his eyes." replied the sprinkler. "All I can do is wash the dust out of their mouth and throat, and clean out their eyes. Then they tell me of the sower, who says a few things, then shakes the dust at them."

"We've got to stop him," they both agreed. When they caught up to the sower, they beat him up.

When the land owner came to collect the harvest, he fired them all.

(please excuse the mixed metaphors)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

That would be retarded cause dead grandmothers dont exist.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by scolai

Hey Scolia, if you dont believe in christianity then thats cool. If you dont believe in eternal salvation then thats cool too because what comes next isn't for you and never was for you and you will be specifically excluded if that is how you see it. Its cool man!
Christians have no proof of God and Jesus according to you and you have no proof that it is just sinister sheeple control. I'd say your argument makes about as much sense as theirs which is cool too!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by overseer1136
reply to post by scolai

Hey Scolia, if you dont believe in christianity then thats cool. If you dont believe in eternal salvation then thats cool too because what comes next isn't for you and never was for you and you will be specifically excluded if that is how you see it. Its cool man!
Christians have no proof of God and Jesus according to you and you have no proof that it is just sinister sheeple control. I'd say your argument makes about as much sense as theirs which is cool too!

Except for that little ".....JUST sinister sheeple control......", which is neither 'just', nor taken as a separate issue anybody's guess. The sheeple-control is out in the open in many contexts with christianity involved.

Besides Scolai has included several more and deeper-loding perspectives in his posts here, than what you (without a quotation) refer to.

But it's cool to be so cool, that nothing but coolness remains. And that's cool too.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by aero56
reply to post by jmdewey60

Jesus spoke in parables so that his teachings were kept from his enemies. See, he didn't want them converted or saved. Like I said earlier, He chooses whom to save. You are predestined. Yet, in another passage, God WILLS for all mankind to be saved. God's will is usually done. Go figure.
I don't think Jesus wanted to stir up the animosity of the scribes and such against him more than he had to, so as to not create a potentially violent situation prematurely. A case in point would be the parable of the tares where the scribes could have taken it as being about themselves. Jesus did have personal conversations with pharisees who seemed to be receptive.
It seems you may have a special interest in pointing out apparent contradictions. There is a major argument in theology concerning this particular issue of a hindrance to people understanding the Christian message. One answer would be this "god of this world" thing and a sort of transition from that old system, into the new one.
There may have been a restriction on Jesus about saying too much about that before his death, and were things that had to be sorted out later by the likes of Paul, who were able to get clear of the former matrix enough to get a wider view of the new reality.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by pthena

After i have witnessed to you, i do as the Lord bids and "kick the dust of my shoes" and move on, i have far too many people to witness to and in such a short little time, ... All i do is plant the seed and roll on.

That dust kicking is something like a curse.

Three workers were sent out into the field. The first one had the bag of seed. The second, the irrigator, had a sprinkle can of water. The third had the scythe for harvest.

The harvester, not having anything to harvest, caught up to the sprinkler. "what's going on here?" he asked.

"Every time I come upon some one in the field, he's choking on dust, and blinded by dust in his eyes." replied the sprinkler. "All I can do is wash the dust out of their mouth and throat, and clean out their eyes. Then they tell me of the sower, who says a few things, then shakes the dust at them."

"We've got to stop him," they both agreed. When they caught up to the sower, they beat him up.

When the land owner came to collect the harvest, he fired them all.

(please excuse the mixed metaphors)

Persecution and adversity in service of the Lord is to be expected. Jesus died on the cross for my sins, the least i can do is take being made fun of by unbelievers or maybe "beaten up". My long dead brothers and sisters were fed to lions and crucified in horrible ways for spreading the message. The very least i can do is tolerate verbal abuse.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

To lead lost souls to salvation is a magnanimous responsibility and you better hope you are delivering the truth. As a side note, if Jesus is God, why did he say he was going to sit at the right hand of his Father?
edit on 30-8-2011 by aero56 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

The very least i can do is tolerate verbal abuse.

By all means tolerate it. The shaking of dust is for judgment against people. Jesus didn't mention it until after this incident.

LK 9:51 As the time approached for him to be taken up to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem. 52 And he sent messengers on ahead, who went into a Samaritan village to get things ready for him; 53 but the people there did not welcome him, because he was heading for Jerusalem. 54 When the disciples James and John saw this, they asked, "Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them?" 55 But Jesus turned and rebuked them, 56 and they went to another village.

And then he sent out the 72

LK 10:8 "When you enter a town and are welcomed, eat what is set before you. 9 Heal the sick who are there and tell them, `The kingdom of God is near you.' 10 But when you enter a town and are not welcomed, go into its streets and say, 11 `Even the dust of your town that sticks to our feet we wipe off against you. Yet be sure of this: The kingdom of God is near.' 12 I tell you, it will be more bearable on that day for Sodom than for that town.

Shaking dust off at people is very much the same as calling fire down on them. Don't be quick to do that. That's all I was saying.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I am a Christian myself, and find it humorous that each of those churches profess to be the right one. I guess if one doesnt like it at one...duing the next church bazaar...they can just hop the fence to one of the others.
I do think that God must have a sense of humor...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

You wrote:

["Persecution and adversity in service of the Lord is to be expected."]

Without insinuating any intrinsic ideological similarities, but only pointing out how the social impact of certain attitudes is mirrored in the public consciousness, I must point out, that Neo-nazis, post-stalinists and distributers of Mao's little red aren't amongst the top-ten on the popularity list either.

Elitist trying to interfere with or push other people will always meet resistance, and I'm afraid that no pity will go to them, especially not when the 'persecution' is included in the list of sales-arguments.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by overseer1136
reply to post by scolai

First of all, my name is Scolai. Not Scolia.

Secondly, I find it amazing that I can say the phrase "that's cool" once and that turns into a rapid-fire barrage of "that's cool" and "it's cool".

Lastly, I just checked the bible and it never mentions god's name to be overseer1136, nor does it give anyone by that name authority to decide upon which magical journeys I will be included or excluded.

In the future, please make reference to my posts when you attempt to rebut my claims ... as I'm not going to go back and look for them.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by aero56

To lead lost souls to salvation is a magnanimous responsibility and you better hope you are delivering the truth. As a side note, if Jesus is God, why did he say he was going to sit at the right hand of his Father?
edit on 30-8-2011 by aero56 because: (no reason given)

Because he is a part of the trinity. So many people think that God "made" us in his image meaning, that we "look" like him when in fact we do not. To be created in his image means that he gave mankind 3 parts to them their own trinity, the same 3 parts he has, Body,Spirit and Soul. God the Father is the "soul" of God, God the Son, is Jesus, also known as the angel of the Lord (the physical incarnation of God Christ's pre-incarnate form), and the Holy Spirit, is his spirit, the Comforter. When Jesus said he was going to sit at the right hand of the father it was a metaphor for him returning to his other 2 parts. Hence why he is Immanu'el, God whom walked amoung us, he was God in the flesh.

www.gci.org...

"In the beginning, there was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word WAS God" the word came FIRST. John further explains that Jesus Christ is the Word, God's laws made flesh. Word+God=Jesus because Jesus IS the Word so Jesus IS God and he was Immanu'el. John the Baptist was saying that Jesus IS God

You cannot take the bible in literal form for every passage, it was written using metaphor and allegory, or as they called it "word play" with the occasional literal meaning thrown in there. You must ask the Lord to send his Holy Spirit to decipher what youre reading as you read it or you will have no clue what you are reading and some of it will sound like gobbledygook.
edit on 31-8-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

. . . some of it will sound like gobbledygook.
Greek was the universal language around the Mediterranean world for a long time, even when there was the alternative in Latin. A modern Greek speaker can read the New Testament and understand it. It is a pretty expressive language and worked well in things like dramatic plays that have survived to today.
My advice is to study the Greek word meanings at least, if you want to understand the NT, and especially if you want to teach people religious doctrines which are vital for things like salvation. There are a lot of tools available on the internet for doing study and I think a lot of people are negligent by not studying it. I found some videos on YouTube last night that I found useful. Normally I just use two web sites to read the Bible text, at Biblos.com and Bible.org.
edit on 31-8-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

You wrote:

["You cannot take the bible in literal form for every passage, it was written using metaphor and allegory, or as they called it "word play" with the occasional literal meaning thrown in there."]

That sounds very convenient, except that no-one really seems to have the manual of the manual.

Quote: ["You must ask the Lord to send his Holy Spirit to decipher what youre reading as you read it or you will have no clue what you are reading and some of it will sound like gobbledygook."]

So there's a manual to get the next manual to understand the public manual. With some 34.000 different suggestions on where this gordic knot is to be unravelled from. And often ending with christians fighting christians (and innocent bystanders) in this navel-gazing monopoly-seeking.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I cannot help but notice lonewolf19792000 has replied to most everyone except myself, is it that what I said, and what is on the links I posted irrefutable by the OP?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
I cannot help but notice lonewolf19792000 has replied to most everyone except myself, is it that what I said, and what is on the links I posted irrefutable by the OP?

Don't worry about that. It's a general avoidance of anything outside the homeground of bible-verses, which is threatening, and ignored as far as possible.

The main-'strategy' on this kind of thread is to rely on the intrinsic options of circle-arguments with a napkin'istic methodology: What's written here is true, because it says so here.

Don't let these tactical maneuvers get to you, eventually they are self-defeating also. I'm sure many readers are thinking: Why can't these guys ever answer directly to anything?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Occult: of or pertaining to magic, astrology, or any system claiming use or knowledge of secret or supernatural powers or agencies. Beyond the range of ordinary knowledge or understanding; mysterious. Secret; disclosed or communicated only to the initiated.

The Bible is full of : sorcery and enchantments, magic and astrology, witches and wizards, divination and familiar and unclean spirits. It contains secrets, mysteries, parables, metaphors, signs, wonders, and ghosts, of course, supernatural powers and entities.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join