It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What it is to be Missionary Baptist and what we believe.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by scolai
reply to post by Heartisblack

None of the abrahamic religions truly promote peace and love. They claim they believe in peace and love; but how many people have died in the name of krishna or buddha versus the number of people that have died in the name of jesus, allah, or judeo-christian god?

Actually that is false. Christianity is about peace. However, it was co-opted by corrupt men in order to gain power over the masses namely the Holy Roman Empire coutesy of Constantine, and later in the Dark ages by the Holy Roman Catholic Church and its cohorts the Dominicans.

Jesus preached about peace, and loving your enemies as you love your friends, its not his fault evil men abused his teachings for their own agenda. Christianity was never meant to be a religion, ti was meant to be a way of life, a guide line of how to live and how to treat your fellow man. Follow Jesus and forget those other men. Jesus won't lead you into hell, following other men will surely lead you into hell. Thats the thing, false prophets and psuedo-christians are not really saved. Jesus said he'd spew them out of his mouth as if they were lukewarm water.

My church is trying to lead my community and the other denominations back to where Christ wanted us to be. Jesus didn't care about the clothes on your back, or if you were wearing Nike shoes and GAP jeans. He cared about saving souls, and doing God's will, of loving your enemies and your neighbors equally. We MUST take the church back to Christ, and forsake these worldy material things so many christians get caught up in. Only by forsaking material posessions can we move the church towards where it should be in the End of Days. We must give up this world so that we can go home and show Jesus that we are ready to be with Him.
edit on 29-8-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne

Originally posted by kimish
Jesus has said that their is only "one father" and that he is in heaven. So Jesus is not God.

Jesus Himself said "I and my Father are one." The Jews heard it and accused Him of blasphemy and actually picked up rocks to stone Him with, so clearly He was claiming to be God. This is reinforced by John 1:1:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Jesus is of course the Word.If you have any doubt of that, scroll down to 14:

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

This is the confusing nature of the Trinity, God is Jesus and Jesus is God, yet they are also separate. Father, son, holy spirit- all are God and all are also separate.

It makes it alot easier to just Say Jesus Christ is the Lord, or to just say he IS God. Jesus was Immanu'el, God whom walked amoung us. There is actually a mathematical equation that says Jesus is God, and mathematics is supposed to be the language of the universe, or so mathmeticians would tell you.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
You also believe in the "Chosen"

so why should anyone else bother ?

my father was a Missionary Baptist preacher..

that is why i don't do organized religion...

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Who is GOD and what is he trying to prove ?

Think about who Satan is.
Someone lurking in the shadows waiting to contradict God wherever He says something?
Or is this someone right up front just saying he is God, with no real God stepping forward to contradict him?
Think of Moses and who he associated with.

"When Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh, they did so, just as the Lord had commanded them – Aaron threw down his staff before Pharaoh and his servants and it became a snake. Then Pharaoh also summoned wise men and sorcerers, and the magicians of Egypt by their secret arts did the same thing. Each man threw down his staff, and the staffs became snakes. But Aaron’s staff swallowed up their staffs."

The word here translated, Swallowed, means to assimilate. This spirit demon of the staff of the Lord caused the spirit demons of the magicians to join with it.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by fishhooks
Okay lone wolf. I really want to back you up here as there aren't many Christians on this forum but you're killing me.
I used to be missionary baptist and I would like to know the Bible verse that states your name can be removed from the Book of Life.
Well, any verse really.
I mean this crowd isn't exactly the "take your word for it" kind of people.
Peace and love.
Here's a verse.

The one who conquers will be dressed like them in white clothing, and I will never erase his name from the book of life, but will declare his name before my Father and before his angels.
This seems to imply that if one does not conquer, then their name will be erased from the book of life.
The problem with the idea of being saved is that there is no such thing in the NT. In the OT, if you were alive, then you were saved. That was the mentality back then, so someone could make the claim that they were saved, if there was an attempt on their life that they survived.
In the NT era, the mentality has shifted to where a person can make the claim that they are saved once they are resurrected and are in heaven. Any time before that event, the issue is still to be determined.

edit on 29-8-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Lol, youre right. My fault. I used to be pentecostal, i've been trying to flush out some of that false stuff for the last 7 months since i switched over to missionary baptist. Apparently i missed this one. You know how it is trying to forget the whole "backsliding" dogma. There i amended it
. Thanks for catching it because i didnt even remember putting that in there!

No worries. It's hard to go from one end of the spectrum of Christianity to another.

I went from Baptist to a charismatic church and it was a culture shock to me.

I pray you touch many lives in a positive manner.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne

Originally posted by kimish
Jesus has said that their is only "one father" and that he is in heaven. So Jesus is not God.

Jesus Himself said "I and my Father are one." The Jews heard it and accused Him of blasphemy and actually picked up rocks to stone Him with, so clearly He was claiming to be God. This is reinforced by John 1:1:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Jesus is of course the Word.If you have any doubt of that, scroll down to 14:

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

This is the confusing nature of the Trinity, God is Jesus and Jesus is God, yet they are also separate. Father, son, holy spirit- all are God and all are also separate.
John 1:14 seems to have been a subject of creative translation to fit church doctrine. The verb here translated as, Made, means that something, as in a situation, was caused to come about. The situation that came about was that the message that God had for humanity was here on Earth, living among us. We know this because the person giving us this message was evidently especially blessed as only one being the Son of God could have been blessed, having the full knowledge of God.

What is confusing is how people misapply this telling of how God blessed us, by making it into a slogan to reinforce some invention that people formulated to explain God.
edit on 30-8-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Here's a verse.

The one who conquers will be dressed like them in white clothing, and I will never erase his name from the book of life, but will declare his name before my Father and before his angels.
This seems to imply that if one does not conquer, then their name will be erased from the book of life.
The problem with the idea of being saved is that there is no such thing in the NT. In the OT, if you were alive, then you were saved. That was the mentality back then, so someone could make the claim that they were saved, if there was an attempt on their life that they survived.
In the NT era, the mentality has shifted to where a person can make the claim that they are saved once they are resurrected and are in heaven. Any time before that event, the issue is still to be determined.

edit on 29-8-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

That's one I haven't heard yet. At least you didn't give me Exodus 32:32, but Revelation?

I mean, if you feel comfortable quoting the most difficult book in the Bible to comprehend then more power to you. This portion was written to the "dead church" as I'm sure you know and my NKJ uses the word overcomes instead of conquers.

I could quote you a few verses that state you can be confident in your salvation but friend, I do not want to come across as argumentative. You believe what you believe, and I'll do the same.

I would like to state though that I pray for your peace as I'm sure it must be difficult with not knowing until you die if you made the final cut or not.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by fishhooks

I would like to state though that I pray for your peace as I'm sure it must be difficult with not knowing until you die if you made the final cut or not.
There is no "final cut" according to your philosophy.
Complacent people is what the god of this world wants and you are complying with his wishes, so you are already lost, having taken the mark of the beast.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

And at what time did I take the mark of the beast? And what is the mark?

Oh, and how did you come across this information?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

And at what time did I take the mark of the beast? And what is the mark?

Oh, and how did you come across this information?
By enslaving yourself to the philosophy of Satan.
Jesus did not die to make a debt payment for your sins, to suffer your punishment in your stead, nor does he substitute his own righteousness in the place of yours in judgement.
Jesus came and died to end the curse on all of us that we would die. He was able to do this because of his own righteous life that he was able to live, and by virtue of his relationship with God, as His son, and having the authority of God, to break the covenant that condemned us and to replace it with a new one. Under this new system there will be a judgement based on our own life, when before, there was no need for a judgement since we already stood condemned.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Well, sir/ma'am you do not know me at all.

So I would be extremely careful in pointing a finger of judgment at anyone (Matthew 7:1)

While I understand your passion, misguided as it may be, I must respectfully disagree with you.

Why, as 2 Christians, would it be a good idea to debate theology on a conspiracy forum? We should stand united as one loving, caring, compassionate front.

Why would anyone want to be a part of a bunch of backbiting, judgmental people who can't even get along with each other?

I am sorry we couldn't reach a middle ground, but I pray for you and harbor no ill will towards you.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by fishhooks

If everything I just said was wrong, then you should be happy to explain it, without saying I was intentionally trying to mislead people.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

We must give up this world so that we can go home

I don't understand. Am I wrong to think of the Earth as home?

Back when I was one of the Jesus people in the 70s we used to sing a song,

"This world is not my home,
I'm just a passing thru.
If heaven's not my home
then Lord what will I do?
The angels beckon me
from heaven's open door
and I can't feel at home
in this world any more."

But now that seems like a fantasy to me. I do feel at home in this world.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Well, I am in quite the quandary here as I can't U2U with you yet. But without any pride or ego I will leave you with the following Bible verses that explain you might be a bit off-track.

John 3:16, Romans 5:8-9, and my personal favorite Romans 8:38-39
"For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

I didn't want to debate you on here as I stated previously that I don't think it conveys the loving, compassionate, non-judgmental attitude which I try to present in an already difficult medium.

I understand your anger at what Christendom has become, I do not like it anymore than you do but change has to start somewhere. I have changed and try to spread love and the Good News to others instead of news of condemnation and ridicule. Peace and love to you.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by pthena

That would be the martyr's song, when they are held prisoner long enough for a vacancy on the gallows, or whatever torture and death device there is in use to get rid of the unorthodox.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

That would be the martyr's song,

The OP stated in some thread that he is a martyr. He should be able to explain it. I tried to think back to how I would have explained it a couple of decades ago and drew a complete blank. I can actually remember explaining it once in high school. A dichotomy sort of thing, living in heaven and on earth at the same time. Seems like Gnosticism to me now though.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
reply to post by XplanetX

And that contributes to the topic how ? Not trying to start any religious war but cut me some slack, this is starting to melt together. Every religion promotes peace, love and hope. What makes Christianity so special ?

There is nothing special about christians at all.

Christ however...

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Well, I am in quite the quandary here as I can't U2U with you yet. But without any pride or ego I will leave you with the following Bible verses that explain you might be a bit off-track.

John 3:16, Romans 5:8-9, and my personal favorite Romans 8:38-39
"For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

I didn't want to debate you on here as I stated previously that I don't think it conveys the loving, compassionate, non-judgmental attitude which I try to present in an already difficult medium.

I understand your anger at what Christendom has become, I do not like it anymore than you do but change has to start somewhere. I have changed and try to spread love and the Good News to others instead of news of condemnation and ridicule. Peace and love to you.
John 3:16 sounds nice to the complacent by taking it out of context to remove the part about how this salvation works, which is in verse 21.

But the one who practices the truth comes to the light, so that it may be plainly evident that his deeds have been done in God.
Your next verses in Romans five is talking about what Jesus did for us in dying, which he did while we were yet sinners, so much more we will expect from God since we have now had access to the spirit to become something other than sinners.
As for Romans 8:38, 39, you need to look at the context, such as verses 8 & 9 of that chapter.

Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, this person does not belong to him.
Paul is saying those who are living according to the spirit can not be removed from God's love. For those not, it is a different story altogether.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Lol, youre right. My fault. I used to be pentecostal, i've been trying to flush out some of that false stuff for the last 7 months since i switched over to missionary baptist. Apparently i missed this one. You know how it is trying to forget the whole "backsliding" dogma. There i amended it . Thanks for catching it because i didnt even remember putting that in there!

Pentecostal? So... You used to believe in "speaking in tongues?"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join