It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What it is to be Missionary Baptist and what we believe.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Missionary Baptists believe that Jesus Christ is Lord, and not just that he is the Son of God but that he IS God. We believe that he came to earth to redeem any who would believe in him, not just his people the jews. We believe that God promised Adam after he fell from grace, that he would save any who would believe in him. Two thousand years ago he fullfilled his promise in the form of Jesus Christ (Yeshua).

As missionary baptist we also believe that once saved is ALWAYS saved. Jesus Christ gave us an incredible gift in salvation. He died for our sins, and not just christians but ANYONE who would believe in him. The reason we believe that once saved is always saved is because Jesus didnt come to cleanse us of the sins we had commited before we accepted him as Lord and Savior, but he cleansed us of ALL sin, past, present and future. Mankind never deserved salvation in the first place, Jesus is not going to take away your salvation because you don't deserve it, because you never deserved him dying on the cross for your sins in the first place. We do not ask for forgiveness everytime we accidentally sin, we recognize that we are still sinners but that we are saved and redeemed and the blood of Jesus washes away our sins for all time, because he gave the ultimate sacrifice, HIS life. Jesus knows that man is an imperfect being and that no matter how hard we try to be perfect, we will always fail, but we must pick up and move on and strive to do his will even if we stumble now and then.

We worship and come to church wearing everyday clothes, jeans and t-shirts or shorts and t-shirts and whatever you feel comfortable in that falls within the lines of a school dresscode. We do not come to worship dressed for a funeral. The Most High God wishes us to give a mighty shout and lift our hands to praise Him as we open our hearts to the Holy Spirit. Tithes are given on a voluntary basis and do NOT go to church profit. Our tithes go to helping feed hungry families, and clothing the needy and providing shoes for those that need them and to providing supplies for disaster victims such as washing detergent, non parishable food, shampoo, soap, toothbrushes and toothpaste etc.

Some might ask, "how do i become saved?" Its very easy! Ask the Lord Jesus Christ to forgive you of your sins, ask him to come into your life and show you how to live according to his will. Believe that he died on the cross for your sins, and that he rose from the dead on the third day and that he now sits at the right hand of the Father. Jesus loved you before you were ever born, he knew you before you were ever born. Jesus did for you what no other person in history could do, or would do for you. He gave up his life so that you do not have to die and suffer for eternity. Earth is just a proving ground, we can go home again! Hope that was lost has been renewed! Believe it and rejoice for the savior has come!
edit on 29-8-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Do you know how much sense you made ? Why don't I just ask the tooth fairy for my dead grandma's pension ?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Heart is black.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
As missionary baptist we also believe that once saved is ALWAYS saved. Jesus Christ gave us an incredible gift in salvation. He died for our sins, and not just christians but ANYONE who would believe in him. The reason we believe that once saved is always saved is because Jesus didnt come to cleanse us of the sins we had commited before we accepted him as Lord and Savior, but he cleansed us of ALL sin, past, present and future.

That's really cool. I didn't know that once you were saved by christian god, you'd always be saved.

Everyone brace for impact! We're about to get hit by a glaring contradiction!

However, this is not a license to sin as much as you want, if you continue to live the way you used to live in sin he has the right to remove your name from the book of life.

"The book of life", for those of you who don't know, is a metaphor for salvation is the christian religion. So what missionary baptists believe is "Once you're saved, you're always saved; unless you sin."

I'm not going to say, "with all due respect" as I believe no respect is due; but please examine your beliefs and search for obvious contradictions in your theology.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
It is stated in the holy book to not push or force your religious beliefs onto others (missionaries, I have some in my family so I know all about it). Educating them on your beliefs is different. forcing religion= bad, educating and giving way for an alternative way of thinking=good

Jesus has said that their is only "one father" and that he is in heaven. So Jesus is not God. That is one HUGE reason that Muslims do not like Christians. There is One God, Allah in Islam, and it is only him you should pray to.

I am a non-denominational Christian and we pray to God and we give God thanks when we pray for giving us the gift of his only BEGOTTEN son.

edit on 29-8-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
That's nice that you heard about Jesus but this theology is completely backwards.
You should take responsibility for your salvation other than just accepting some teaching.
This is not what God wants from you (adopting a ready made religion).
Do you imagine that out of so many Christians in the world you are especially blessed to be dropped into this religion somehow?
The word is the Holy Spirit and not what a preacher tells you from a church manual of doctrine.
I have nothing to recommend out of those things you listed and they are all wrong and counterproductive to salvation. You would do better to go down the list and think of what would be the opposite and create a new list that way, then read the Bible to see if your new list is verified in it.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by XplanetX

And that contributes to the topic how ? Not trying to start any religious war but cut me some slack, this is starting to melt together. Every religion promotes peace, love and hope. What makes Christianity so special ?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Christianity is special because Christians believe in Jesus the begotten son of God. Jews, Muslims, etc. believe in Jesus the prophet (prophet only)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Christ is Lord...How bout LOOKING AT THE BIG PICTURE though....I MEAN REALLY!!!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

None of the abrahamic religions truly promote peace and love. They claim they believe in peace and love; but how many people have died in the name of krishna or buddha versus the number of people that have died in the name of jesus, allah, or judeo-christian god?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

Christianity is special because Christians believe in Jesus the begotten son of God. Jews, Muslims, etc. believe in Jesus the prophet (prophet only)

I used to be "Christian" but it made no sense then or now. Who is GOD and what is he trying to prove ?
edit on 29-8-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

God is the creator. God has nothing to prove because the proof is all around us.

Christianity was hard for me to understand too. If you think to hard on things or are narrow minded in what you read there will be problems, that goes with anything.

As a Christian I try to follow my life by Jesus examples and philosophies. To me that is what Christianity should be about, being a better person.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Okay lone wolf. I really want to back you up here as there aren't many Christians on this forum but you're killing me.
I used to be missionary baptist and I would like to know the Bible verse that states your name can be removed from the Book of Life.

Well, any verse really.

I mean this crowd isn't exactly the "take your word for it" kind of people.

Peace and love.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

God is the creator. God has nothing to prove because the proof is all around us.

Christianity was hard for me to understand too. If you think to hard on things or are narrow minded in what you read there will be problems, that goes with anything.

As a Christian I try to follow my life by Jesus examples and philosophies. To me that is what Christianity should be about, being a better person.

Christianity was intentionally designed to confuse its followers, then it's justified by saying "god is beyond our understanding".

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by scolai

Very true in the sense of Christianity as an organized religion. Organized religion was also used as a form of goverment and used to give the masses structure and a belief system. There are always a few bad apples in the bunch and we all know that negativity spreads quicker than things of a positive nature.

I don't believe in organized religion but that doesn't stop my from admiring Christ Jesus and his messages and it doesn't stop me from using those messages for personal growth.
edit on 29-8-2011 by kimish because: add

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Missionary Baptists believe that Jesus Christ is Lord, and not just that he is the Son of God but that he IS God. We believe that he came to earth to redeem any who would believe in him, not just his people the jews. We believe that God promised Adam after he fell from grace, that he would save any who would believe in him. Two thousand years ago he fullfilled his promise in the form of Jesus Christ (Yeshua).

As missionary baptist we also believe that once saved is ALWAYS saved. Jesus Christ gave us an incredible gift in salvation. He died for our sins, and not just christians but ANYONE who would believe in him. The reason we believe that once saved is always saved is because Jesus didnt come to cleanse us of the sins we had commited before we accepted him as Lord and Savior, but he cleansed us of ALL sin, past, present and future. Mankind never deserved salvation in the first place, Jesus is not going to take away your salvation because you don't deserve it, because you never deserved him dying on the cross for your sins in the first place. We do not ask for forgiveness everytime we accidentally sin, we recognize that we are still sinners but that we are saved and redeemed and the blood of Jesus washes away our sins for all time, because he gave the ultimate sacrifice, HIS life. However, this is not a license to sin as much as you want, if you continue to live the way you used to live in sin he has the right to remove your name from the book of life. Jesus knows that man is an imperfect being and that no matter how hard we try to be perfect, we will always fail, but we must pick up and move on and strive to do his will even if we stumble now and then.

We worship and come to church wearing everyday clothes, jeans and t-shirts or shorts and t-shirts and whatever you feel comfortable in that falls within the lines of a school dresscode. We do not come to worship dressed for a funeral. The Most High God wishes us to give a mighty shout and lift our hands to praise Him as we open our hearts to the Holy Spirit. Tithes are given on a voluntary basis and do NOT go to church profit. Our tithes go to helping feed hungry families, and clothing the needy and providing shoes for those that need them and to providing supplies for disaster victims such as washing detergent, non parishable food, shampoo, soap, toothbrushes and toothpaste etc.

Some might ask, "how do i become saved?" Its very easy! Ask the Lord Jesus Christ to forgive you of your sins, ask him to come into your life and show you how to live according to his will. Believe that he died on the cross for your sins, and that he rose from the dead on the third day and that he now sits at the right hand of the Father. Jesus loved you before you were ever born, he knew you before you were ever born. Jesus did for you what no other person in history could do, or would do for you. He gave up his life so that you do not have to die and suffer for eternity. Earth is just a proving ground, we can go home again! Hope that was lost has been renewed! Believe it and rejoice for the savior has come!

The Jews and the Israelites are two different nations,one descending from Jacob and the other Esau.Not once in the biblical account did Jesus say He was Jewish,but rather it was the Jews descended from Esau or the Edomites which crucified Jesus according to the account.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

edit on 29-8-2011 by Daedal because: double post

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by fishhooks
Okay lone wolf. I really want to back you up here as there aren't many Christians on this forum but you're killing me.
I used to be missionary baptist and I would like to know the Bible verse that states your name can be removed from the Book of Life.

Well, any verse really.

I mean this crowd isn't exactly the "take your word for it" kind of people.

Peace and love.

Lol, youre right. My fault. I used to be pentecostal, i've been trying to flush out some of that false stuff for the last 7 months since i switched over to missionary baptist. Apparently i missed this one. You know how it is trying to forget the whole "backsliding" dogma. There i amended it
. Thanks for catching it because i didnt even remember putting that in there!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by scolai
"The book of life", for those of you who don't know, is a metaphor for salvation is the christian religion. So what missionary baptists believe is "Once you're saved, you're always saved; unless you sin."

I've listened to some of the better Baptist preachers (Chuck Swindoll, Jack Graham, Robert Jeffers) and while you have correctly pointed out a contradiction in the OP, it's not actually what most Baptists preach. There are some Baptists that believe that, but those that do seem to fail to realize that it's a huge contradiction. If it were true that salvation could be lost due to sin then everyone is doomed as soon as they're saved and (as Swindoll once stated) they might as well place a guillotine next to the baptismal font and kill people off as soon as they're baptized to ensure their permanent salvation. Anyone who believes that we must maintain salvation by not sinning is either inadvertently or purposely pushing a works-based salvation and that is in stark contrast to Christ's teachings.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Jesus has said that their is only "one father" and that he is in heaven. So Jesus is not God.

Jesus Himself said "I and my Father are one." The Jews heard it and accused Him of blasphemy and actually picked up rocks to stone Him with, so clearly He was claiming to be God. This is reinforced by John 1:1:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Jesus is of course the Word.If you have any doubt of that, scroll down to 14:

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

This is the confusing nature of the Trinity, God is Jesus and Jesus is God, yet they are also separate. Father, son, holy spirit- all are God and all are also separate.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join