It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The All-American Prophet (Mormans chip in, is this what you really believe?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

So I know this is trying to be funny. It kind of reminds me of School House rock. But anyways people seem to be saying this is what they believe. Really? I mean I know my own religion has some beliefs that seem far fetched but this kind of takes the cake.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

I'll see your Book of Mormon and raise you a Scientology:

Lord Xenu

Perhaps not the most popular religion in the world, but it is definitely one of the most bizarre.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Scientology is so out-there that I don't consider it a real religion. Mormons on the other hand have a huge following. I mean I may be a hypocrite for being Catholic but at least as a Catholic I have a long history in my religion.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Obviously this is "satire" which contains a grain of truth and and immense amount of fiction to create something they hope is funny. As an examply, the Bible (today's version) is a compilation of a number of writings from different authors concerning the history of man and Christ. But not all writings, prophetic or otherwise, were included. The Nicene council included some writings and interpretations and the King James version is slightly different.

The Book of Mormon were the writings of the people that left Jerusalem at about 600BC and is a record of those people that migrated to the American Continent -- these are the "sheep of another fold" that Jesus spoke of.

So this "musical" is a sarcastic bit of fiction loosley based on the History of the LDS Church but as but as chocolate "flavored" taffy has little resemblance to real chocolate, neither does this play have any resemblance to the real beliefs of the LDS Church.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
They didn't even mention the magical underwear.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ReluctantBlossom

Go on...

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Ok.... so... I grew up Mormon. And left the religion when I was 12. There are definitely some strange things they ask you to believe in. The song you posted is a pretty good gist of how it began..except they left out that Joseph Smith was 15 when he had his first vision that the other churches were false. However the play itself is, as others posted above, a bit of an exaggeration just for humor. Thing is, Mormons aren't bad, and the religion in part isn't bad either because of the morals and real life lessons they teach. Though... Utah Mormons are almost a completely different religion. It's weird. In Utah, it's almost a cult.
Why did I leave it? I don't believe in religion period. And the way they treat women is very demeaning.

But, definitely don't listen to this broadway as being the definition of Mormonism. Just like people that watched The Sister Wives now believe all mormons are polygamist. Not true... in fact you can't be Mormon and Polygamist. It's a different sect of Mormons. The "Reformed Latter Day Saints" as they call themselves. Basically a group of people that felt the prophet should be blood related...not chosen. And they continued the belief in Polygamy. Basically, the mainstream Mormons have what is called an "Article of Faith" that essentially says to abide by the laws of man. And polygamy is not legal... so therefore, Mormons no longer believe in it. Basically.

It's funny, listening to that song was making me severely annoyed. I just wanted to make sure I knew what it was specifically you were referring to. Figured you meant more than just that song. But I was annoyed just listening to the crap I turned my back on 16 years ago.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

www.mormon-underwear.com...

1857massacre.com...

Just an interesting aside.

top topics

join