It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

huge chinese sand circle reported southwest of xining, china: by BMW

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
original ATS thread: Huge Chinese sand circle reported southwest of Xining, China

Answer to Chinese “Sand Pattern” -
Web E-Video Ad Campaign for BMW China

© 2011 by Linda Moulton Howe

Finally Sunday night, August 28, 2011 (Monday, August 29, in Beijing) I reached Mr. Lee San, BMW Marketing Director, in his Beijing office. He said about three weeks ago one of his colleagues, Vega Xie, Senior Manager of China's E-Marketing, had produced a video with a combination of PhotoShop and clearing a swath of dirt and rock somewhere, but he did not know where. (See last image in concocted ad campaign “news story” below.) The video was designed to “go viral” on the web to make a mysterious advertising campaign.
BMW China video

they're playing on our hopes and dreams

cool video though; reminiscent of "fast and furious"

anyway, case solved

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I always laugh when someone says that a certain crop circle was made that couldn't possibly be made by humans.

Now I've got two of them to use..

"Pics, or it didn't happen"
and
"Prove that BMW didn't do it"

S&F

edit on 29/8/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

edit on 8/29/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
I always laugh when someone says that a certain crop circle was made that couldn't possibly be made by humans.

Now I've got two of them to use..

"Pics, or it didn't happen"
and
"Prove that BMW didn't do it"

S&F

edit on 29/8/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

Yeah...
You also might want to consider that this was done with some photoshop editing as mentioned in the article as well.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
So this is a viral ad campaign ?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

Not trying to be dense here but is that enough for a 'case solved'. I mean that video does not show any aspect of the process of the sand circle being made. It shows people, and cars, filmed at the site. Isn't that all it shows, can we deduce more? Hypothetically, couldn't any company send some peeps over to the site to film for a commercial?

This is from your link:

...I reached Mr. Lee San, BMW Marketing Director, in his Beijing office. He said about three weeks ago one of his colleagues, Vega Xie, Senior Manager of China's E-Marketing, had produced a video with a combination of PhotoShop and clearing a swath of dirt and rock somewhere, but he did not know where.

This says the video shows the clearing of the dirt and rocks. I don't see that in this video. Unless....

According to Lee San, the video is an advertisement for some new development in precision handling and driving performance of a new “Series 1” BMW to yet be released in the Chinese market in 2011. The fake news story was distributed with the fake “viral video” on the internet only.

Wait you're not suggesting that the part of the commercial where BMWs are racing around in the dirt is the ACTUAL footage of the sand circles construction are you

edit on 29-8-2011 by underspace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

edit on 8/29/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Never mind, theres some freaky things going on with the editing dates.
edit on 29-8-2011 by Flyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Wow. Look at that! A bunch of folk in advertising being cunch of bunts.

Imagine that!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by underspace

Wait you're not suggesting that the part of the commercial where BMWs are racing around in the dirt is the ACTUAL footage of the sand circles construction are you

There is no way that a car could have done the impressions so neatly.

Looking at the tracks, I'd suggest that they were made with a/several compactor/s. You can clearly see neat track marks subdivide the "depressions".

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Agreed

The contact surface area of the wheels wouldn't compress the entire surface down uniformly as is true to the sand circle. I mean...we would see a car tracks sand circle if it were those BMWs that made it hehehe. Unless it was a BMW steam roller?

I hope the video of the BMWs is not what the OP is suggesting as the proof. I am curious though.

edit on 29-8-2011 by underspace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by underspace

oh, a wise guy, eh

surely you're not suggesting a finished film should show how the set was made

that would spoil the illusion

unless a film is a documentary about how a certain film was made

edit on 29-8-2011 by reject because: please don't hurt me

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by reject

oh, a wise guy, eh

Something I can attest to! hehe

surely you're not suggesting a finished film should show how the set was made

Hah no
Just saying since it doesn't show how the set was made...can't really be evidence for how the set was made.

new topics

top topics

join