It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

ATS Members under the age of 40, do you Subscribe to a Religion?

page: 2
11
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I don't believe in a specific god or religion of any kind
(to be honest it actually seems quite logical that that some gods are possibly based on alien visitations rather than there actually being a "GOD")

So I am definitely not religious. I don't really believe in a higher power as such but I do think there is a type of universal/collective consciousness. We are all made of of the same elements, we all originated from the same "place/source", we are all connected and I feel it. Most people don't as they are way too self obsessed. If Humanity wants to progress and move forward from our crappy current existence I think we all need everyone to understand this and unify ideas of religion and spirituality rather than fight over who is right.




posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
The stupifying and dumbing down of the masses and removal of religion is spot on track and working as planned.

Funny so many here believe the elitest worship devils, lizards, whatever. All powerful people are somewhat religious but yet the commoner is being removed from this subject.

interesting indeed. I think i will keep my views on religion and believe, its better to have faith in something than die to the bitter darkness of nothing if I am wrong. If your right, we die to darkness anyways and I lose nothing, but to gain in faith is more important than this life has ever offered.



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Dear OP,

I will try to be respectful as I know the internet is primarily atheist. You all seem to hate the idea of conforming to beliefs you can't prove, which I guess it perfectly okay. Here's the thing though it seems like you see your parents faith and want to rebel. It's a teenage mentality. I would know I'm still technically a kid. Though not really.

Why do you feel the need to not believe? Do you think its because it makes you smarter to not believe in something you can't prove? Do you think it makes you more on level with intellectuals and liberals to denounce religion?

It seems your kind is the type who love free speech until it disagrees with your views. You have the right to not believe but I'd really like you to answer these questions.



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I'm 24, I was brought up Christian. Literally everyone in my entire family was/is religious their entire lives, this includes my 22 year old sister. Almost my entire family (both sides) are Christian, with a select group subscribing to Judaism.

I'm Atheist.



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Its an interesting topic, I am 25 and although I grew up in a Christian household I have lost all conviction that Jesus is God.
Infact if my mother knew what I now believe she would probably think I am hell bound

I do think people are disillusioned with mainstream religion, particuliarly Christianity, it doesnt answer the questions or resolve the issues of this changing world, but then what does?
I think once the baby boomer generations have left and my generation is old most people will be agnostics, unless of course something unimaginably horriable happens that has people seeking a new one world ideal that unites us all in peace and harmony, in which case a new/old rome will emerge and people will flock once again.... Its all part of a bigger plan you see.
The way I look at religion/popular ideals to see if its true or just another system of slavery is by asking who it benefits most?
As is seen in tarot cards, those who would control the world have four suits at their disposal for gaining/keeping the power they want;
Spades/swords (Miliatary and politics), Clubs/Cups (Labourers and farmers/the commoners), Dimonds/coins (Merchants and bankers/wall street), and Hearts/wands (Religion and education)
Whoever has control of these four suits has control of society
And you can be sure that whatever is popularized in society comes from those who control society. So what are the most popular religions?

Mar 2 2011
Here's a listing of the most popular religions worldwide, based on the estimated number of adherents for that religion (or non-religion).
1) Christians - 2,116,909,552 (which includes 1,117,759,185 Roman Catholics, 372,586,395 Protestants, 221,746,920 Orthodox, and 81,865,869 Anglicans)
2) Muslims - 1,282,780,149
3) Hindus - 856,690,863
4) Buddhists - 381,610,979
5) Sikhs - 25,139,912
6) Jews - 14,826,102

geography.about.com...

Athiests are more than Sikhs and Jews (at,152,128,701) but I guess because its not classed as a religion (but it should) its not numbered up there. So people who believe in the teachings of any of the religions above should really think twice about who is shaping their mind and to what end?

Remember; Spades, clubs, dimonds and hearts

Reject the system, then youl find truth



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I was brought up as a mormon but left in my teens. I'm now 27 and my mother has recently disbanded from the church as well.

I don't believe we need religion to uphold the moral fiber (fibre?) in our society. Morality and religion aren't mutually inclusive. What we need are values passed onto each generation from good parenting. I'm not saying we should get rid of religion, I just don't think it's necessary.

Maybe society would benefit if religious folk were to take back their churches from their evil dictators though. Dismantling the organisation wouldn't destroy the beliefs and everyone would get in a more personal touch with their deity. Plus it would end indoctrination and wars.



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
Dear OP,

I will try to be respectful as I know the internet is primarily atheist. You all seem to hate the idea of conforming to beliefs you can't prove, which I guess it perfectly okay. Here's the thing though it seems like you see your parents faith and want to rebel. It's a teenage mentality. I would know I'm still technically a kid. Though not really.

Why do you feel the need to not believe? Do you think its because it makes you smarter to not believe in something you can't prove? Do you think it makes you more on level with intellectuals and liberals to denounce religion?

It seems your kind is the type who love free speech until it disagrees with your views. You have the right to not believe but I'd really like you to answer these questions.

Where do you get wanting to "rebel" from what I posted? I'm only talking about my experiences here, but as with most things, we all have a choice. With religion, christianity in my house hold growing up, we have a choice to follow that religion, or not, as we mature and grow older.

Now, it just seems to me, from my experiences, when I talk to a religious person, or a family member who is religious, and tell them I no longer subscribe to christianity, they act as if I'm not making the right choice. Or that it is simply a lack of maturity on my part. There's no rebelling, far from it.

In fact, it is quite similar to your response. You assume the decision to not follow a religion, is based on rebelling, or thinking that I somehow appear more intelligent by not believing. It was through deep thought and consideration, as well as what history has showed me about religion, that caused me to not want to be a member of the church, or believe in the god which the church represents.

I mean, you started your post with this, "You all seem to hate the idea of conforming to beliefs you can't prove". First, that is quite an assumption. Second, as I said in my OP, I am very spiritual. How is spirituality concrete? Isn't that also somewhat of a belief system? It has nothing to do with conforming to beliefs I can't prove.

You say it's a teenage mentality. Another assumption. You seem to think because my views differ from yours, that it's an immature viewpoint, and based on a teenage mentality, or rebelling, as you suggest. Again, you confirmed my earlier post, that a differing opinion on religion is looked at by your generation as being immature,which seems quite common.



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by MysticPearl
 



I do wish the older generation wouldn't act as if not subscribing to a religion is a matter of a lack of maturity, or our generation just not having moral values.


And I do so wish the younger generation would stop making assumptions about what the 'older' generation thinks and does.


You seem to forget that the 'older' generation were the immoral ones in the 60s. There is little you can teach us about immorality.


And no I don't subscribe - nor to many that I know of my 'older' generation. (I am 63)

Funny, you reply by accusing my generation of making assumptions about yours, and follow that up immediately by making an assumption about my generation.


Seems like in your 63 years, you've put a lot of thought into your religion. Love how you elaborate. I learned a lot from your post. Yes, your generation can teach mine a lot about morality. How about you start with your generation fighting wars endlessly, and the morally upright from your generation which is running Wall St.



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl
 





Where do you get wanting to "rebel" from what I posted?


You claim your whole family is Christian you aren't. IT seems like you want to rebel. I don't mean to put words in your mouth though. So sorry.




Now, it just seems to me, from my experiences, when I talk to a religious person, or a family member who is religious, and tell them I no longer subscribe to christianity, they act as if I'm not making the right choice. Or that it is simply a lack of maturity on my part. There's no rebelling, far from it.


From their point of view your soul is at stake. Be glad they care.





In fact, it is quite similar to your response. You assume the decision to not follow a religion, is based on rebelling, or thinking that I somehow appear more intelligent by not believing. It was through deep thought and consideration, as well as what history has showed me about religion, that caused me to not want to be a member of the church, or believe in the god which the church represents.


A lot of atheists think it makes you more intelligent by not believing. Some decide they don't want to believe simple on the other smart people who made the smart decision. Which Church was it? You mean the church as in the Catholic Church or like the church like a protestant branch?




You say it's a teenage mentality. Another assumption. You seem to think because my views differ from yours, that it's an immature viewpoint, and based on a teenage mentality, or rebelling, as you suggest. Again, you confirmed my earlier post, that a differing opinion on religion is looked at by your generation as being immature,which seems quite common.


My generation is your generation. Actually Im younger than you. As I stated although I'm not going to say my age. Anyways the reason why I say it's based on rebelling is because a lot of the stories in this thread are "My whole family is Christian, Im Atheist" or "I grew up in a Catholic School, SO ATHEIST".

I don't like it when I hear that.



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749
 

A lot of atheists think it makes you more intelligent by not believing.
This goes both ways.


Anyways the reason why I say it's based on rebelling is because a lot of the stories in this thread are "My whole family is Christian, Im Atheist" or "I grew up in a Catholic School, SO ATHEIST".
I think it takes a young mind to see things for what they really are sometimes.

My mother never forced me to attend church and didn't pressure me to stay either.
edit on 29/8/2011 by Planet teleX because: say -> stay



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by MysticPearl
 



I do wish the older generation wouldn't act as if not subscribing to a religion is a matter of a lack of maturity, or our generation just not having moral values.


And I do so wish the younger generation would stop making assumptions about what the 'older' generation thinks and does.


You seem to forget that the 'older' generation were the immoral ones in the 60s. There is little you can teach us about immorality.


And no I don't subscribe - nor to many that I know of my 'older' generation. (I am 63)


haha so much of this. It seems they don't get how similar the 60s were to today. Actually worse.



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Planet teleX
 


I believe I have a young mind. Why do I believe? Because I have faith in my friends and family. I also have Faith that worst case, I'm wrong and it doesn't matter. Except I'm not wrong.



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
reply to post by MysticPearl
 





Where do you get wanting to "rebel" from what I posted?


You claim your whole family is Christian you aren't. IT seems like you want to rebel. I don't mean to put words in your mouth though. So sorry.




Now, it just seems to me, from my experiences, when I talk to a religious person, or a family member who is religious, and tell them I no longer subscribe to christianity, they act as if I'm not making the right choice. Or that it is simply a lack of maturity on my part. There's no rebelling, far from it.


From their point of view your soul is at stake. Be glad they care.





In fact, it is quite similar to your response. You assume the decision to not follow a religion, is based on rebelling, or thinking that I somehow appear more intelligent by not believing. It was through deep thought and consideration, as well as what history has showed me about religion, that caused me to not want to be a member of the church, or believe in the god which the church represents.


A lot of atheists think it makes you more intelligent by not believing. Some decide they don't want to believe simple on the other smart people who made the smart decision. Which Church was it? You mean the church as in the Catholic Church or like the church like a protestant branch?




You say it's a teenage mentality. Another assumption. You seem to think because my views differ from yours, that it's an immature viewpoint, and based on a teenage mentality, or rebelling, as you suggest. Again, you confirmed my earlier post, that a differing opinion on religion is looked at by your generation as being immature,which seems quite common.


My generation is your generation. Actually Im younger than you. As I stated although I'm not going to say my age. Anyways the reason why I say it's based on rebelling is because a lot of the stories in this thread are "My whole family is Christian, Im Atheist" or "I grew up in a Catholic School, SO ATHEIST".

I don't like it when I hear that.

Grew up Christian, but am not anymore. You seem to assume however, that I am an atheist. I'm more agnostic, actually, and as I said, am very spiritual.

This does bring up another topic. Just because I don't, or anyone else for conversations sake, subscribe to a religion, doesn't mean I don't believe in anything, or don't believe in the supernatural. I don't like the fact that just because someone says they aren't religious, someone else assumes they don't believe in anything,and are atheist. I never said I was atheist. You assumed I was. I simply don't believe in man made religion, or the god the christian church represents. Also tough to believe in reincarnation when Christianity by rule of law directly opposes it.



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
reply to post by Planet teleX
 


I believe I have a young mind. Why do I believe? Because I have faith in my friends and family. I also have Faith that worst case, I'm wrong and it doesn't matter. Except I'm not wrong.
Why carry that extra faith around if you're right? Don't doubt yourself- commit!

Just kidding, it's good to keep an open mind



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Absolutely not. I grew up Mormon, and left that church when I was 12. And I have no inclination to becoming religious again.
I agree, less people are going to church now-a-days... at least it seems that way. However, I also live in the Mormon Capitol of the world... so it's hard to judge that statement.

And as others have noted - no, I'm not Athiest either. I have no religion because I don't believe in a structured religion. I believe there is something bigger than us. Doesn't matter what religion anyone is... everyone believes in a greater force. I just don't find the need to put a beard or a belly on it.

For me, religion isn't necessary. It doesn't give me hope, it doesn't give me "something to believe in". Basically, I live my life the best I can by not hurting myself or others, and helping wherever I can. Figure I can't go wrong there.
edit on 29-8-2011 by CeeRZ because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Why has this topic become a debate? Why is it so hard for us to accept the perspectives of others. Fact is, more than half the people that "subscribe" to a religion don't follow everything the religion says, and I'd estimate that they don't even follow a quarter of the things their religion says (this is just from experience and observation). We all have our own ideas, thoughts, and feelings about religion. We also have our own minds, and perspectives, no two minds think exactly alike, so everyone, and I mean everyone's take on religion will always differ in a way. Just like people's feelings about believing or not believing at all will differ. We can't say one or the other is wrong, let alone should we question it. For only experience, or death can answer this. People who have died and been brought back to life have told what they experienced, yet still they get questioned, it's assumed they're lying, or a scientific explanation(theory) can somehow prove it "WRONG". Let's face the fact, this is something we have to ride out and see in the end. Debates should stop already. Let the believers believe, let the non-believers not believe, and let's get ready for FEMA b*tches!
edit on 29-8-2011 by FidelityMusic because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl
 


39 year old male, and yes, I'm a NeoPagan Druid (and yes that IS a religion, my order is recognized as such in the USA
)



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Noinden
 


Do you play WoW?
I kid.

Perhaps make a thread about your religion. Whats it about?



posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I am almost 37 (just a few more days) and I was raised in a mixture of southern baptist, presbiterian(sp?), and methodist. I stopped being a "true believer" in my late teens and am not entirely sure it ever really fit for me anyway.

My current beliefs are more esoteric. I believe in a sort of universalism and patheism. We, in my opinion, are all aspects and parts of a sentient universe that is simply trying to figure itself out.



posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I was raised in a family that didn't force any type of religion, my parents are both Agnostic. However they never had a problem with my brother attending church and other religious events. I went on a quest recently to find a religion that made sense and what I found was Reform Judaism, where basically they just believe in being a good person, encourage free thought, and don't claim to know what happens after death. That really spoke to me. Although I don't attend synagogue, when people ask me what religion I belong to I say Reform Judaism, but I think I believe in just love as a kind of religion because I don't like to conform to a structured religion and as long as you treat everyone how you'd like to be treated you can't really go wrong.



new topics

top topics



 
11
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join