It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Members under the age of 40, do you Subscribe to a Religion?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
My parents generation, the baby boomers, are a very religious generation, and many of their children,myself included, were likely brought up in a religious house hold. I have since ended all ties to modern religion, although I do consider myself extremely spiritual.

It seems our generation, or for arguments sake, those between 18-40, are far less religious than the generation which came before us, and even more so in Europe, than here in the US. I'm curious as to how many of you under the age of 40 subscribe to a religion. What do you think the future holds for religion in this country? Do you ever actually see our country following the constitution, and separating church and state?

If I knew how to add a poll, I would.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I'm the same way. I'm 24, was brought up in a religious family (mother & father methodist and grandparents catholic). I'm an only child AND grandchild so you can imagine the influence my family had. It wasn't until I left for college that I started to think outside the box. To sum things up I do not subscribe to any particular religion, but I do believe that there is higher power/being/etc..

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo
I'm the same way. I'm 24, was brought up in a religious family (mother & father methodist and grandparents catholic). I'm an only child AND grandchild so you can imagine the influence my family had. It wasn't until I left for college that I started to think outside the box. To sum things up I do not subscribe to any particular religion, but I do believe that there is higher power/being/etc..

I find it very interesting the difference in opinion between generations. Not sure we've seen it at this level before. I do wish the older generation wouldn't act as if not subscribing to a religion is a matter of a lack of maturity, or our generation just not having moral values.

Something else which is interesting which I have noticed in the numerous conversations I've had with older people about religion, is that questioning or applying critical thinking to what they are told in church, is not common. I have run into very few older people, who have actually tried to dissect their religion, and view it with the same critical analysis they use in their jobs every day. Maybe our generation is just more willing to question things, instead of simply blindly believing.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I'm 25, and, no, I don't subscribe to any particular religion. It's just not my thing. I believe that there could be some sort of higher power, but that's about it.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

30 and European. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm spiritual but non-religious.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
37 here......I was raised catholic but since 19-20ish I've been atheist.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Nope, don't claim a religion. I do read the bible, in my opinion it has good stuff in it. Just don't like claiming a side with groups that are not willing to accept that they don't have all the answers.

Religion has helped this nation and hurt it.

Right now I believe that people who believe god is going to straighten this mess out have missed the point.

It is fine to believe in a savior, but not to the point where you are unwilling to save yourself.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I am 18 and was raised in a non-church attending and pretty secular household. My mom as of right now is probably close to Agnosticism and my dad, well… he claims to be Christian but it does not show, however if you dissent from Christianity he will yell at you… Anyway, my sister does believe in God but does not care about Jesus. Me? I am a proud Christian, although probably for reasons different from other individuals, but do believe in God based upon a viewpoint of observation and philosophical inquiry, along with the recognition of Jesus Christ. Now, admittedly I am not a hard-core religious person, but I do agree with the religion.

No, I am not some fundamentalist. Everyone has a right to practice their own religion, of course, but I do believe that the US is a culturally Western nation founded by Christian and Christian influenced men who passed down their particular religious beliefs in this land of the free. So while everyone has a right to their own religion and never have that restricted, they must also assimilate into our cultural identity which is founded, and I know secularists hate hearing this, out of a Christian doctrine and influenced by ‘free-thought’ philosophers, i.e. Thomas Jefferson.

Pretty much what I am trying to say is that my beliefs of Christianity does not follow any partisan line, am not a fundamentalist, believe in evolutionary creationism, and yes I worship God and revere Jesus.
edit on 8/29/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I just recently turned 30 and I was raised in the Southern Baptist denomination. I became non-denominational when I got older. Even though I am a firm believer in Bible and I attend church every Sunday, I think that people attending formal religious services is slowly fading. More people believe in "something" but not anything specific. My husband believes that there is something out there but he does not believe in the same God that I do. As for the Constitution, I believe that there should absolutely be a separation of church and state. However, I also believe that it is my right to practice my religion when and how my religious beliefs expect me to.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
37 and no. I think religion breeds hate and draws blood.
Background:
Raised in several different christian churches but ultimately Baptist, my Granddaddy is a Baptist preacher and a very sweet, lovable man who I have much respect for (beyond his profession) and love dearly. My entire maternal side are conservative, christians and they are the most hypocritical bunch, my paternal side are mostly agnostics.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
just turned 20..

religion is a crock, its terrorism (god will grind ur teeth and you will burn ARGGG), and it's downright filthy..so many wars have been fought over it as it causes conflict

i just want peace and love

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
I'm 25, and, no, I don't subscribe to any particular religion. It's just not my thing. I believe that there could be some sort of higher power, but that's about it.

ditto
im 25 was never raised in a religious family. although with a christian family background.ive been to church mabye once. im not sure if im atheist or agnostic or anything else at this point in my life.
edit on 8/29/2011 by
edit on 8/29/2011 by toothpastert because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
For the generation you're talking about, the one I'm a part of, it's been made blatantly obvious that religions are shams and scams, designed to control the masses.
So I don't follow any one religion, but I'm deeply spiritual. I read the religious texts and learn much from them, but don't consider them holy like followers of the respective religion does. They have a lot of truth, but it isn't all true.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
35 here.
I believe that one day the herald will come...followed by mighty Galactus himself. The only one left over from our last universe, now, in need of sustenance, he shall one day come and devour the earth and all who dwell here.

Seriously, I believe that everyone has the rights to their own beliefs (as long as they aren't advocating injuring others). As for myself, I believe their lies a little of the answer to everything, within us, and no human is omnipotent or holier than any other, so for anyone to proclaim they have the definitive answer for our wonderous universe, has found just the opposite.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

I'm almost the same as you. I'm 18 and when I left for school, I started to think about my faith. Now I consider myself a mix between agnostic and deist.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I'm 17, was born Catholic, raised Baptist, down to the point, I believe in a higher power, I believe in the Holy Trinity. I don't see myself in any way tied to a religious group. I have my own perspective on the Holy Book and don't feel like I need to be apart of a denomination.

I think kids fall far from faith as they grow older and live the life of the average teen, "do as you please and live your life to the fullest", smoking, f*cking, and partying being the most well known things to be apart of "living life to the fullest", this is just from my visual experience and what I see and witness. I feel religion will soon fall in the mainstream eye, and wont be regarded too as much as it is now. No one wants restriction in life, let alone wants to hold back from experiencing things in the one life they get, so they disregard religion and after a while the majority has done it and faith in a higher power from any religion becomes a set-back to most.

I thought the Church and State were separate, isn't that why the Church pays no tax? Mind me if I'm wrong on that, just something I heard a few times, stuck with me.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Nope. I think there's no way to select a religion and be sure that it's the right one, since there have been thousands of religions that have came and gone over the years. Plus I don't think a creator is needed, we've been able to explain just about everything scientifically except the Big Bang itself, but give it a few centuries and I bet we'll have most of the big questions answered. Hell by then we'll probably be able to tap into people's minds as they die and see if there's an afterlife (my prediction: no).

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I was raised in a VERY Catholic background, I spend about 21 years serving the church but when I turned 22 that's when my believes were changing to the point that I consider myself Spiritual. I believe there's a higher power and that's about IT!

Religion to me is just another way to make people blieve in themselves and that there's a "GOD" looking after us so that we don't fall into the darkness. We as humans sometimes need someone to look up to, we feel that we can't do anything without the help of something or someone to guide us each step of the way. As long as you believe that there's a higher power, you don't need religion. So, believing in the previously mentioned, in yourself and the power of love is all you need in this world to be happy!

YOU ARE YOUR OWN RELIGION, YOUR OWN CHURCH!

Peace & Love

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

37, European, Non-english-mother-tongue, and thinking right now : *Misoir probably future POTUS* (if not corrupted untill then).

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I do wish the older generation wouldn't act as if not subscribing to a religion is a matter of a lack of maturity, or our generation just not having moral values.

And I do so wish the younger generation would stop making assumptions about what the 'older' generation thinks and does.

You seem to forget that the 'older' generation were the immoral ones in the 60s. There is little you can teach us about immorality.

And no I don't subscribe - nor to many that I know of my 'older' generation. (I am 63)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join