It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ats a site for facts or how we feel inside

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Im just wondering where the fine line is between facts and how we fell about certain subjects. I for one have often gotten in arguments over sily little things, because i tought i was so sure about a certain subject.

So how come we human behings cant keep out how we fell when we are so attached to certain toughs, are we just so ingrained in how we think that we can not open up to a possibility that maybe others might be right.

Is it an animal instict to protect what we hold dear, or are we just proud animals stuck in our small abilities to understand others.

PS: english isint my first language so sorry for errors

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
It would seem to be both. What is wrong with that?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
ATS Has become one of the best web sites on the net.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It is both. The facts would be pointless if they didn't evoke an emotional response. It is the fun of the site. It wouldn't be nearly as entertaining if we were all Vulcans.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dukeofjive

Its seems to me that everyone takes what they need from this site. I started to troll around here because I believed that if there was ever a real situation occurring on a global scale, that I might catch a glimpse of what is to come by looking here. I felt this way partially because of the subject matter but mostly because the responses to any given post get thoroughly debunked or corroborated by the members. Also over time, I realized that there is some satisfaction to be had by posting here no matter what the subject is. Somehow you can be a part of current events in a small way by giving your opinion or just making a factual statement. In many ways this site makes me feel connected to that which I fear the most, the unknown.
edit on 29-8-2011 by WhatKnot because: grammer

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It is a site where people express their beliefs on a given subject and try to convince others that they what they believe is right.

Many give "facts" that are not really facts at all but some reference to a video or other website that happens to agree with their view point.

Every post on here that claims to have "proof" has yet to offer irrefutable proof but only offers another source that mirrors their own belief.

Most subjects on ATS are faith based and there is no discernible proof.

There is no absolute proof of GOD, aliens, Niburu or anything else.

I don't begrudge anyone of their beliefs no matter what they are. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dukeofjive
Im just wondering where the fine line is between facts and how we fell about certain subjects. I for one have often gotten in arguments over sily little things, because i tought i was so sure about a certain subject.

So how come we human behings cant keep out how we fell when we are so attached to certain toughs, are we just so ingrained in how we think that we can not open up to a possibility that maybe others might be right.

Is it an animal instict to protect what we hold dear, or are we just proud animals stuck in our small abilities to understand others.

Your English is good enough.

Nothing is black and white and people are seldom ever 100% right in an argument.
There are only viable sides to an argument and this is why facts are "weighed."
They are not absolute, they have differing values and even those values change among people.
Facts are given values and piled up on the scales on either side of an argument PRO and CON.
Then the scales are tipped.
This is the only way to come up with what we know of as justice.
It is as close to perfect as we can manage without reading hearts and minds.

I think it is because sometimes facts are offered and when you present enough of them and you still get no response, reasoning or understanding from the avalanche of credible evidence painstakingly presented....you might take offense and question the other parties intellect and ability to reason and understand.

Sometimes even after you offer evidence, you get a response like..."you are just a liar."
And it is like being there and having and interest in the Casey Anthony or the OJ trials.
If after you present all your facts, all your best evidence, and the jury didn't take notice, didn't care or is just plain dumb because they "went the other way" you wonder what is wrong with these people?
How you feel, just like how all those people felt in both those trials is bound to be wrapped up in emotion that builds until it has a life of it's own.

Every thread is a mini trial by a jury of your peers and one side or the other will get supremely frustrated IF in spite of their best efforts to present facts...at the end of the day, you do not see things their way.
THAT'S when people start throwing the Newspaper Boxes into the street.
Sometimes the rational laid out was a poor one and didn't work, other times the other side is MORE right than yours and so won the day and still other times the opposing party already has a mind made up and wasn't honestly asking a question for edification at all. They were just pushing an agenda. It happens a lot.

edit on 29-8-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dukeofjive

It is all how we feel inside. There are no thought that aren't biased. Whether or not we have gone through both mind sets, our current view will still skew our past experiences.

We can flip flop on thoughts, but we will still stick to our thoughts as the truth. It doesn't take one telling you. it comes through experience. This is why forums will never change our thoughts. Most of us need to see something and experience it to change our minds.

How isn't it instinct to protect what we hold dear? We protect what is most important to us.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
thanks on everybodys replies, its nice to see other views of my question.
edit on 30-8-2011 by dukeofjive because: changed to add the right eltters eheh

top topics

join