It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Bush be prosecuted for committing or istigating war crimes?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Blix found nothing and I believe recommended against action. And since we have been there we have found nothing. Coincidence? Saddam was no threat to the US or any other nation. This was just an excuse to avoid dealing with domestic problems. And where is OBL? And why can't Bush say his name?

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Hear Ye, Hear Ye

I'll take 2 stacks of bibles with that.

p1

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomMaster
Hello P1, I understand your point, however the US administration went to war ignoring other countries warnings and avoided getting the UN permission or veto. Why not consider an Israeli-like strike killing Saddam and his family instead? If it is legal for Israel to assassinate people, it would have been legal for the US administration too.

We ignored the countries that did not want us to go to war.. the same countries that had HUGE ties with Iraq. Huge trade agreements, huge illegal arms trade, yada yada yada.. I'd reel and cry if someone was about to take my money maker away too.

And, an israeli "assassination strike" would have been disasterous for Iraq. If Saddam fell, one of his sons would take over, or some other egotistical maniac in Saddams quarters or some Terrorist group wanting to run the country into the ground. The only way to "fix the fix" was to remove the entire government.

Or perhaps the war on Iraq was purposely done to gain full control over the new Iraqi puppet government, reconstruction contracts and mainly to establish new military bases in the most strategic spot in the Middle East?

In fact I suspect that the war was not about oil, but about controlling and re-directing the oil revenue to specific politically backed companies.

Or perhaps the war on Iraq is linked to a much bigger picture then you are aware of. See, the problem with today's media, the internet, the news, is that everyone expects to know the answers right NOW. Do you think that during WW2 or vietnam, the government explained its every move? Nope, we learned all about it on TV 'after' it was over. They can't explain every motive because .. well .. the enemy watches our media too!

The war in iraq could be tired termendously to the war on terror. We dont know that. Maybe the government has solid proof, maybe the government is working on moving in on Iran, maybe the government is working on taking over the entire middle east in a nazi-like fashion for oil! We-Dont-Know. See, regardless of what we think, theres whats going on, and we'll never know whats going on until its over, and 20 years from now we watch all about the forthcomings on the History Channel.

But WHY we went to war isnt the topic for discussion. The topic for discussion was "could the GOP be tried for war crimes" and my answer was 'no, they can not.' Simply because Iraq had ample time to submit to the Resolution. Regardless if WMD are found, Regardless if Blix said we shouldnt go, regardless of what counties thought.. the passing of Resolution 1441 gave any country in the world the oppurtunity to attack Iraq. And the US did just that.. legally.

If you want to blame anyone, blame the members of the UN for passing resolution 1441 in the first place.

As for "Why didnt the US attack israel" for breaking UN resolutions..

Well, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out.. see, the UN is worthless. It always has been. The UN is like a crying boy pointing and crying about something some other boy does wrong. And depending on the scope of the matter, or, THE NATIONAL INTEREST and POLITICAL PULL a problem the UN proposes is, will mark the US's participation.

The US has no will, reason, or desire to attack Israel. No matter what Isreal does, the US will never attack them. It like you beating up your best friend because hes not playing nice with other kids.

The US's role is being confused in the world. Ever since someone said the US is the "world's police" everyone got this idea that the US would jump all over any country misbehaving. Well, the US may be the "world's police" but even cops will turn their heads when a friend is causing a ruckus.

I hope I opened up some closed minds.

[edit on 22-8-2004 by p1]

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
�The war in iraq could be tired termendously to the war on terror. We dont know that. Maybe the government has solid proof, maybe the government is working on moving in on Iran, maybe the government is working on taking over the entire middle east in a nazi-like fashion for oil! We-Dont-Know. See, regardless of what we think, theres whats going on, and we'll never know whats going on until its over, and 20 years from now we watch all about the forthcomings on the History Channel.�

p1, you struck the nail on the head when you stated, �See, regardless of what we think, theres whats going on, and we'll never know whats going on until its over, and 20 years from now we watch all about the forthcomings on the History Channel.�.

Granted there are certain things that must be kept under wraps for national security purposes. However, I do not think the reasons for waging war on another country should fall under that umbrella. Rather, it should be clearly spelled out to it�s people, and the peoples of the world. WE THE PEOPLE are the ones who are subsidizing the war, not the individuals making up the Administration. The Administration is just a group of elected officials. In a Democracy the elected officials are duty bound to represent the will of the people. If elected officials deceive the people, then they are derelict in their duty and should be removed. And if the offense is serious enough, those who commited the offense should be tried in an appropriate court.

�The US has no will, reason, or desire to attack Israel. No matter what Isreal does, the US will never attack them. It like you beating up your best friend because hes not playing nice with other kids. �

As far as the above goes, you�re correct p1. That doesn�t make it right, though. And it doesn�t make it acceptable. As the pinnacle of Democracy in the world, I would think we should exercise sound judgement, fairness and consistency. We shouldn�t punish one nation for certain behaviors and protect another who engages in the same behavior. It causes great damage to our status in the world and makes a mockery of our principles and system of justice.

p1

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Granted there are certain things that must be kept under wraps for national security purposes. However, I do not think the reasons for waging war on another country should fall under that umbrella. Rather, it should be clearly spelled out to it�s people, and the peoples of the world. WE THE PEOPLE are the ones who are subsidizing the war, not the individuals making up the Administration. The Administration is just a group of elected officials. In a Democracy the elected officials are duty bound to represent the will of the people. If elected officials deceive the people, then they are derelict in their duty and should be removed. And if the offense is serious enough, those who commited the offense should be tried in an appropriate court.

I agree with you completely. But the sad truth is, the US government is now so far detached from its citizens that it doesnt matter. Our government, OF THE PEOPLE, runs itself. It could care less about what we think. The only time they fret about what we think, is when it directly effects them.. and in today's day and age, it'll take a whole lot to get people from infront of the TV, or the computer, to actually do something. We may all sit around, and disagree and complain and occasionally rally.. but honestly.. does it do anything to curve a movement? The last man to rise against the government and actually make a change was, in my opinion, Martin Luther King... and well, he was assassinated. Our media is so one sided its almost laughable when they say they dont take sides anymore... dunno.. we're just a paycheck to this government.. nothing more.

As far as the above goes, you�re correct p1. That doesn�t make it right, though. And it doesn�t make it acceptable. As the pinnacle of Democracy in the world, I would think we should exercise sound judgement, fairness and consistency. We shouldn�t punish one nation for certain behaviors and protect another who engages in the same behavior. It causes great damage to our status in the world and makes a mockery of our principles and system of justice.

Again, I agree with you completely. The US tries to promote itself as a worldly police. But just like you said, we punish those whom we praise others for doing. This will be the downfall of the US.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
How can you all be so blind to the truth?

There are so many people who have deemed the war illegal, such as:

Peter Carter QC chair of the Bar Human Rights Committee of England and Wales concluded that in international law, states are not allowed to be vigilantes claiming to act on behalf of the security council. Such claims are spurious. The result is that any acts taken without security council authorisation are unlawful, unless justified as self-defence ... The invasion was unlawful."

Pentagon hawk Richard Perle has conceded that the invasion of Iraq had been illegal.

Former chief UN weapons inspector Hans Blix said it was illegal

The International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) in Geneva said it was illegal

plus numerous judges and legal experts

check it out if you dont believe me

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by astroblade
you're overlooking the fact that because saddam violated u.n. charter, war upon him was completely legal for any u.n. member.

Actualy, the war against Iraq was waged and declared won already more then a year ago..
So that argument is out of the equation.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
"This will be the downfall of the US.
"

p1, once again you hit the nail on the head. It's sad, but I'm afraid it's the direction we're headed in ...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join