It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calif. Man Accused of Throwing Son Off Cruise Boat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

A Southern California man was arrested after authorities say he threw his crying 7-year-old son off a sightseeing cruise boat during an argument that shocked passengers on the boat.

"The father hit him several times and then threatened to throw him overboard if he didn't stop crying," Amormino said. "The crowd on the boat became very angry at the father for hitting the kid and extremely angry when he threw him overboard."

And we have a major contender for parent of the year. 85 people on the cruise ship and no one thought to maybe retrain the father that was beating his son, or to stop him from throwing the boy into the water. I am becoming so disgusted with people's inability to act in situations like this. You see it time and again. Apparently the crowd 'got angry' though so I guess that's something. Not a single man on that boat.

Briles was released Monday.

Because publicly beating your child and throwing him overboard does not warrant being locked up for long...

How much do you want to bet that there will be no intervention and this guy ends up killing his kid or someone else? Dems some anger issues...

Link

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
How about one day the dad's wife is gonna kill the dad in self defense for the son, then they move away and live happily ever after?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Skate

Im OK with this. Dirt bag should not be allowed custody and I would have serious qualms about him even spending time with the kid unsupervised.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

"The father hit him several times and then threatened to throw him overboard if he didn't stop crying," Amormino said. "The crowd on the boat became very angry at the father for hitting the kid and extremely angry when he threw him overboard."

If they were "angry" about it when he was hitting the kid then why didn't somebody do something before the nutter threw the kid overboard?

Passive observers....

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by The Empty Skies

No but you can bet they had enough time to get out their "smartphones" and start filming for a chance to get some thumbs up and views on youtube. That is the society we live in. Sickening

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The incident could have happened very quick. He slapped the kid, threw him overboard, and then jumped in after him... There may not have been time for intervention and since the article didn't state a timeline, it's anyone's guess.

Another article did state that the father is former Marine who became combative when he got back on-board and had to be subdued by guards, one of which was hurt in the process.

The boy wasn't hurt, thank God. This family needs serious intervention before someone does get hurt in the future.

edit on 29-8-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Amazing how implied consensus strips people of their ethical code. Then again, we've been brainwashed to believe a child is the unquestioned property of a parent, until the parent kills the child. Then, that child is a real human being again. I endured many a beating in front of crowds at the hands of my father. A little maturity taught me the shame wasn't mine, but instead belonged to every adult watching.

At least I'll never know what it's like to wonder if things would have turned out differently had I intervened instead of stared at a helpless child being beaten.

Professional Silver-Lining Detective,
cb

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

So people just stood around and watched him do this? Man someone should of gave his ass a good toss overboard aswell.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

And we have a major contender for parent of the year. 85 people on the cruise ship and no one thought to maybe retrain the father that was beating his son, or to stop him from throwing the boy into the water. I am becoming so disgusted with people's inability to act in situations like this. You see it time and again. Apparently the crowd 'got angry' though so I guess that's something. Not a single man on that boat.

bystanders effect.
social thing, i hate it too.
but it's something very real.

bystander effect

How much do you want to bet that there will be no intervention and this guy ends up killing his kid or someone else?

why the need to go here?

on the topic at hand.
father needs to get his head thoroughly checked.
kid needs to be looked after as well, maybe needs some therapy.
also find out if this has been going on for a longer period of time.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

why the need to go here?

Because I think there is a high likelihood that the father is going to end up killing someone if he doesn't get some help. You think that's far fetched?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
*Update, video interview with father and the girlfriend, on Fox.

Onlookers say it was punishment, father says it was horseplay

Link

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I certainly doubt it was horseplay. Thanks for the update I was just going to do it. Horseplay or not, don't throw your kid over the side or let it get close.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Well they must not have been too angry if they stood by and did nothing. Discipline is one thing beating is another that is where someone needs to step in.

new topics

top topics

join