It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey Results: Origins and Evolution

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Yea not much surprising here

Sorry to those out there who believe it, but weather it be aliens or God, not many believe in creation suddenly from some higher power.

I suppose I believe in a long period of creation, but overall being Christian and believing evolution is real hasn't found conflict to me yet.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I figured more people would lean towards creation.
hmmm.
I'll pray for the world today.

There are very recent gallup poles that say the world is ok. Pray for ATS.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by snarfbot
all that is saying is that you believe it exists because it does. matter cannot be created or destroyed according to relativity, but according to the big bang theory when all the matter and energy of the universe was compacted into a singularity the laws of relativity went right out the window. a very long natural process doesnt even make sense in context to the big bang, because time and space are inseparable and before the big bang, time didnt even exist.

According to the big bang theory, basically all the matter in the universe, all the energy rather, existed in a single point and went boom...ultimately there is still a lot of mystery to this.

Personally, the membrane hypothesis makes a hell of a lot more sense and is getting lots of evidence backing it up as its studied more.

Decent series, you should watch it all...you will find no god is required, the universe in its actual form is mysterious and amazing enough.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by SaturnFX

Like the thousends of fossilized transitional forms we should see all over the surfice of the planet.
The transitions don’t exist because the alleged missing link fossils are found in rock layers that were from the Flood or afterwards, which is well after people and the animals in question already existed.

there are tons of transitional fossils out there, feel free to open a book, or hell, just fire up the google machine and check.

flood? which? there are plenty of floods found due to random ice age melts and such..

I just realized...your a literalist...adam and eve, etc.
So tell me then...how did Jonah live in the belly of a big fish? will be waiting for you to explain that to me...

I'm not a literalist i just recognize the authority of the bible and believe God's word. I'll admit there are some things in the bible that should not be taken literal, but the story's of the great flood of noah, adam and eve, Jonah etc are real accounts of things that took place. God can perform miracles, why is it hard to believe Jonah survived being in the belly of the fish when he had the protection of a loving God? Have you seen how big some whales can get? There are no transitional fossils just sensationalist claims which inaccurate dating method's which have been proven inaccurate. Do any of these fossils come out the ground with a label stuck to them saying "Hi im a homosapien and im millions of years old"?

Your short snarky comments will get you no where in a debate like this, nore will linking to Darwinism websites which prove nothing more that your secular indoctrination from society has a hold on you..
edit on 29-8-2011 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

1) anyone with even a rudimentary grasp of evolution knows we didn't evolve from monkeys.
2) anyone with even a rudimentary grasp of scientific method knows that a scientific theory is not wild speculation.
3) anyone with even a rudimentary grasp of palaeontology knows that each new fossil does not throw a monkey wrench into the theory (not hypothesis, learn the difference) of evolution.

Educate yourself before making such ignorant statements. How can such a factually-compromised post get starred?

edit on 29-8-2011 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

That's because your not a true Christian my friend. Do you not recognize the authority of the bible of being the inspired word of God? Without genesis The Bible is worthless and the whole Christian faith should be scraped.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

As I mentioned previously, the article that mentions inaccuracies in carbon dating has never been replicated. Even if it is a legitimate claim they only found a difference of .001%. That means that even if a date is as inaccurate as it can be it still can't misdate objects that are hundreds or thousands of years old as being millions or billions of years old.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
As far as the level of importance, goes amoung these surveyed inquiries. The last question as everyone will surely agree, carries twice the amount of importance, than all the other questions combined. So don't be fooled by these results.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I fail to see how I am denying Genesis. Genesis 1 and 2 don't even match. The only logical conclusion is that they don't match because God does not follow standard time. Therefore, if God is not bound by time, God can create the entire universe in 6 days, but to us it would appear however long God wishes.

The true Christian accepts that God is above all things, and just because Science undeniably proves something, doesn't mean by belief is wrong.

The true Christian accepts that God makes himself present in the very mysteries of the workings of reality. And there I have found proof of he above.

Don't call me not a real Christian.
edit on 29-8-2011 by Gorman91 because: le spelling

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

You're on a website mostly of people who believe aliens are watching them and the government puts computer chips in people's brains. By all means, these are people who refuse to believe the boring truth and would rather have fiction.

It also explains how obama got elected ha ha ha ha

link   

Originally posted by freethinker123
I actually thought that the questions of whether a supernatural entity created us were a bit loaded.
What with quite a widespread belief in supernatural entities (aliens) here I thought this suggestion of linking God with aliens was a little deceptive. In fact I have never even considered that believing in God and aliens came together like that, or that people that believed in either as creating mankind could be grouped together.

Still, its good news that most people at ATS believe something (or try at least) based on evidence rather than blind faith.

I felt the same way mate.

However, in my humble opinion i do think there has been creation...lot's of it in fact, but unfortunately for the religious i feel it is most likely the creation of myth and stories that humanity have passed down from antiquity to present day in folklore and legends.

The majority of us want or even yearn for answers, we are and probably always have been an inquisitive species, and what we think of today in terms of deities of god, is i feel simply a corruption of primitive humanity witnessing advancements being demonstrated by perhaps ET's or natural happening such as Earthquakes, Volcanism and meteorite impacts, shooting stars, even the phases of the sun and moon and so on, beyond their capacity to fathom.

Because we want to comprehend, we have created supernatural explanations for what to them, at the time were inexplicable, or magical occurrences. Virtually all natural earth, sky or space related phenomena has at one time or another has had an organised (if local) religion developed around it.

People worshipped Volcano's, Earth mothers, the moon, the sun, gods of the seas (tidal waves and tsunamis presumably started these, or lack or fish), comets as gods, and on and on. Even recently, there were 'primitive' or unsophisticated humans that worshipped aircraft during the 1970's, because they landed on a remote island and gave them food and supplies...they even built replica aircraft from bamboo to encourage their 'gods' to return.

Only now, even though we are still relatively very early into our comprehension of the cosmos, and science in general are we (as a species) starting to realise the old beliefs are based on mostly superstition, fear and ignorance.

Unfortunately, there are still plenty who perpetuate the fear and ignorance, and use it as a power base, because we still have doubts or at least degrees of uncertainty surrounding our origins.

A lot of humanity clings to the religions and belief systems they have been indoctrinated into...although i feel in the majority, not all, but the majority of humans it's a 'just in case' thing.

I think i said what i mean...kind of.

link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Solar flares have been observed to alter decay rates. While we do not know what causes this, we know it happens. And a specific whatever-it-is, could easily alter the apparent age of the universe.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I strongly disagree with that, the last question was simply a means of getting Christians to believe in evolution so they can start doubting there faith and then finally becoming a secular atheist.

The atheistic formula for evolution is:

Evolution = matter + evolutionary factors (chance and necessity + mutation + selection + isolation + death) + very long time periods.

In the theistic evolutionary view, God is added:

Theistic evolution = matter + evolutionary factors (chance and necessity + mutation + selection + isolation + death) + very long time periods + God.

In this system God is not the omnipotent Lord of all things, whose Word has to be taken seriously by all men, but He is integrated into the evolutionary philosophy This leads to 10 dangers for Christians.

The doctrines of creation and evolution are so strongly divergent that reconciliation is totally impossible. The theistic evolutionists attempt to integrate the two doctrines; however such syncretism reduces the message of the Bible to insignificance. The conclusion is inevitable: There is no support for theistic evolution in the Bible

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I voted nuetrul on most questions except the last.
I dont believe my beliefs disprove science or visa versa.
Great poll and topic

Thxs and LOTZA LUV

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration

That's because your not a true Christian my friend. Do you not recognize the authority of the bible of being the inspired word of God? Without genesis The Bible is worthless and the whole Christian faith should be scraped.

Sheesh, I see *I* didn't get a response from you the last time. Here you are tho, thinking it's a righteous thing trying to *accuse* others of not being Christians. Weird, remember who the bible tells us the accuser is? I often wonder how many face palms God must do when people who claim to know him judge others so very often.

Who scrapped Genesis btw?? Just because YOUR church reads into it the way you do, doesn't mean it 100% knocks off evolution or any other theory that may not fit your needs. This is a HUGE reason people don't go to church. Constantly accused, judged if someone doesn't think like their denomination does.
edit on 29-8-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I figured more people would lean towards creation.
hmmm.
I'll pray for the world today.

ATSers are not religious loonies who believe in made up stories created by organized religion so they could make a buck and get power.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
edit on 29-8-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/340764c1fc4a.jpg[/atsimg]

2nd line

3rd Line

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

As I mentioned previously, the article that mentions inaccuracies in carbon dating has never been replicated. Even if it is a legitimate claim they only found a difference of .001%. That means that even if a date is as inaccurate as it can be it still can't misdate objects that are hundreds or thousands of years old as being millions or billions of years old.

This is a fail showing poster's ignorance. Carbon dating only goes back 30,000 years. Did you mean radiometric dating? Saying "carbon dating" as a way to include argon? uranium/lead? and all such forms? or do you know more then every lab out there that somehow you can measure carbon 14/12 beyond 30,000 years?

And how do you account say for existing carbon 12, in carbon dating...... You can't tell me how much carbon 12 existed in the subject at the time of death, when it stopped aquiring carbon 14... or do you assume carbon 14 levels have not changed over time, even though the atmosphere hasn't reached equilibrium yet, and other factors such as solar flairs, can increase/decrease carbon 14 in the atmosphere....

You're also assuming that carbon 14 can't spontaniously degrade to carbon 12 due to natural or outside factors, something that given the age of this science, yet the ages they presume to calculate, cannot be ascribed too?

I wrote this drunk and I still blast this ignorance (even with the typos)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

That's the experiment I'm referring to. First off they were not sure if it was solar flares or the distance between the Sun and the Earth, they just knew that it appeared to be seasonal. These seasonal variations were on the magnitude of 0.1% (my claim of .001% earlier was wrong. Sorry about that.) This means that even if their results are accurate the Earth would still be over 4 billion years old. However, that is a big "If" as in a follow-up paper these results were not found.

Evidence against correlations between nuclear decay rates and Earth–Sun distance

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I was of the belief that man was a creation of a mixture between Ape and Alien through DNA manipulation but i never seen this as one of the options of the survey

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I will call you out, because you are a liar and this sort of non scriptual teaching will further help to deceive others. There is no support for theistic evolution in the Bible, and by believing in evolution you are undermining the very word of God. If Adam and Eve were not real, then sin didn't come into the world, and there for their would be no need for Jesus to have died for our sins, do you not think about that before believing in such heresy nonsense? You are denying the central Biblical Teachings. The entire Bible bears witness that we are dealing with a source of truth authored by God. The Bible carries the seal of truth, and all its pronouncements are authoritative.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join