It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey Results: Origins and Evolution

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

So you agree that genes have to do with birth defects and breeding and such, but dont believe in evolution? And by the way, its been proven many times, its ridiculous to say it doesnt exist. Get some rats with different traits, breed em, and watch what happens.

And the "bible doesnt say it, so its a lie!" Doesnt work...
here this might help show you what youre saying

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by SaturnFX

Like the thousends of fossilized transitional forms we should see all over the surfice of the planet.
The transitions don’t exist because the alleged missing link fossils are found in rock layers that were from the Flood or afterwards, which is well after people and the animals in question already existed.

there are tons of transitional fossils out there, feel free to open a book, or hell, just fire up the google machine and check.

flood? which? there are plenty of floods found due to random ice age melts and such..

I just realized...your a literalist...adam and eve, etc.
So tell me then...how did Jonah live in the belly of a big fish? will be waiting for you to explain that to me...

link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Polls don't prove anything one way or the other, they simply show what peoples opinions are. It's entirely possible for everyone to agree 100% on all questions and be wrong on everyone of them. So no need for concern if your answers are the least in percentage and no grounds to boast if they are the highest. It's just opinions, and like aholes everyone has one, some people have two and some people are one.

link   

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I'm sorry...I know there is a long discussion on this already, but what is so hard about thinking outside the box when it comes to God? Why don't you seriously sit down and really think about what it means to you if there is a God. I'll just share what my conclusion was and really I'm only posting this because I feel like I need to get it out.

Bible = A book made by man, that in a sense is a history book of an age that has passed long ago. We really cannot know if ANY of it is true.

God = A entity that has surpassed the need for a body or maybe never had one. This entity long ago decided it was time to make order out of chaos and therefore started the universe. Since then he or rather it has moved on and may or may not still watch over us. It does NOT control your life and it does NOT have set regulations to get into some paradise it created on another dimension.

For me God is a being, or a group of beings who wish to engineer life all through out the universe. Evolution, as it have been mentioned by others previously, to me is a clear example of a intelligent design. It is too perfect of a system to have just randomly started up somewhere along the way. Life in general is just too complex and too perfectly calculated to be an accident to me. Anyways, that's my two cents.

Peace

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Stephen3267

Please present me the empirical evidence for a Creator. I can present you empirical evidence for evolution. Do you want the transitional fossils? Or how about the evidence from genetics? Or how about the evidence from phylogenetics? Or how about the observed instances of speciation? Evolution is a fact. The theory of evolution seeks to explain the mechanisms that drive this natural phenomenon, and it has done a good job at it too, which is why it's a theory (ProTip: Theory in science means something completely different than the layman's definition of theory). Panspermia and abiogenesis on the other hand are hypotheses.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by spikey

Originally posted by Inquisitive1
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I took the survey, but responded to every question with the answer "Neutral". It's the only suitable answer when you don't know, and finding out is next to impossible.

You are allowed to have an opinion about things you don't fully know.

For instance...you don't know matter of factly that your mother loves you, but you can be of the opinion that she does overall

Come on..be honest, you got that from the movie 'Contact' didn't you.

Hmm...maybe. Been a long time since that crap movie came out, It worked though, meaning you are allowed to have opinions even though you don't have the answers..true dat.

now I wanna watch contact again..perhaps the next go around it won't suck as much.

Think i'll watch it again too...i think the religious nutjob who blows up the first 'great machine', may have a parallel to one or two of the members in this thread!

Cheers.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stephen3267
reply to post by SG-17

panspermia and abiogenesis are as yet unproven theories like evolution for example...

Wow!!! I cannot believe nor give props to unproven theories...Their unproven...There is plenty of proof for God. You or me or anyone has to reach the frame of mind where that possibility could exist and once you have...Well you and I will definitely have a much better conversation to which we could agree on alot more things

There is a difference between a hypothesis, which is what panspermia, abiogenesis, and all creationism is...and a -proven- scientific theory, which is evolution.
Just because you use a word ignorantly doesn't mean you suddenly changed the subject. The theory of evolution is akin to the theory of gravity, or the theory of chemistry. Its theory only in the fact that its still being studied for total clarification...and will be studied for all times. Seriously, science almost never closes a book on a subject.
The theory of gunpowder does not require any belief to know that it makes things go boom

Do make an effort to understand the difference between a hypothesis and a scientific theory. cheers.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

I don't know what "created" it...energy cannot be created/destroyed...so, clearly its been around in some form forever and ever eternity, etc...meaning nothing could have possibly created it to begin with...considering it cannot ever be created nor destroyed, so the question becomes...is there a grand manipulator of energy, or did it simply go through a very long natural process.

all that is saying is that you believe it exists because it does. matter cannot be created or destroyed according to relativity, but according to the big bang theory when all the matter and energy of the universe was compacted into a singularity the laws of relativity went right out the window. a very long natural process doesnt even make sense in context to the big bang, because time and space are inseparable and before the big bang, time didnt even exist.

most things we take for granted, including all natural laws of the universe are just abstractions that we use to make sense of things. thats why i said, when you get down to brass tacks, it comes down to belief.

either it exists because it does, or because of something greater.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I am not claiming i know everything about the bible, what i am saying is that the bible and evolution theory are like polar opposite and cannot possibly interwove with each other to form some middle ground, that's just a cop out.

Saying Christianity Misinterprets the bible is a silly statement, who do you think write the new testament..? The followers of Christ, the apostles of course, so if you want to argue that Christianity misinterpreted the bible as a whole then you must argue the apostles misinterpreted what they witnessed from Jesus which didn't happen because even when they didn't understand some of Jesus's parables he let them knew what he meant.

i don't even know understand what your argument is it seems like you are arguing for the sake of arguing which is what many non believers seem to like to do, if im wrong then please explain how a Scholar can live for 1000 years and your other ramberlings?.

link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration You cannot be a Christian and be a evolutionist and if you are your basically calling God a liar.
edit on 29-8-2011 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

That's the biggest pile of dung I've ever come across. The only prerequisite for being a Christian is accepting Jesus as your savior and believing in the ressurection. Granted it's been 20 years since I've set foot inside Ida church outside of a wedding or funeral service but as a former altar boy and daily church goer as a child I think I've got pretty good grasp on the basic tenets of what makes someone a "Christian". There's a reason there is an old testament and a new testament. They are two separate books written hundreds of years apart by different people in different places during different periods of time.

link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

It's obvious...god gave Jonah a set of holy scuba gear.

link   
Wow, talk about confusing results.

Here's a question: If humans evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

By the way, evolution is a theory, not scientific fact. There is zero evidence that proves that Animal A used to be animal B. There is a HUGE amount of speculation and guessing that occurs. Every time someone digs up a fossil it throws a monkey wrench into someone's evolutionary hypothesis. Pun intended.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Not only is the bible constantly mis-interpreted, but there are countless LOST books that were not included because the church decided to leave them out. (I believe, mostly for political reasons)

And that includes books the bible itself refers to. For instance, the book of Jasher. But you won't find any christians quoting Jasher because he doesn't fit the modern christian idea of christianity.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I actually thought that the questions of whether a supernatural entity created us were a bit loaded.
What with quite a widespread belief in supernatural entities (aliens) here I thought this suggestion of linking God with aliens was a little deceptive. In fact I have never even considered that believing in God and aliens came together like that, or that people that believed in either as creating mankind could be grouped together.

Still, its good news that most people at ATS believe something (or try at least) based on evidence rather than blind faith.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/64bf8525e017.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by chancemusky

So you agree that genes have to do with birth defects and breeding and such, but dont believe in evolution? And by the way, its been proven many times, its ridiculous to say it doesnt exist. Get some rats with different traits, breed em, and watch what happens.

Because the gene pool has gotten smaller and continue's to do so, if you like we are "Devolving". That's perfectly rational for me to not believe evolution due to this very cause. And i'll have to pass on the external image, thanks.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
reply to post by Wookiep

I am not claiming i know everything about the bible, what i am saying is that the bible and evolution theory are like polar opposite and cannot possibly interwove with each other to form some middle ground, that's just a cop out.

Saying Christianity Misinterprets the bible is a silly statement, who do you think write the new testament..? The followers of Christ, the apostles of course, so if you want to argue that Christianity misinterpreted the bible as a whole then you must argue the apostles misinterpreted what they witnessed from Jesus which didn't happen because even when they didn't understand some of Jesus's parables he let them knew what he meant.

i don't even know understand what your argument is it seems like you are arguing for the sake of arguing which is what many non believers seem to like to do, if im wrong then please explain how a Scholar can live for 1000 years and your other ramberlings?.

No, I'm not saying the authors mis-interpreted what they wrote. I'm saying Christians have been mis-interpreting what they wrote, and I believe they have been for hundreds of years. The bible, has ALWAYS been used as a political tool.

What I am saying is that there is NO single thing written in the bible that makes evolution some terrible "evil" thing like some Christians like to make it out to be. It's ALL up to interpretation of what you are reading in to. Start with Genesis, "God created the earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th" Is THAT proof to you that Evolution never happened? Why don't you believe it took only 6 days if you are taking it literal? Most Christians say 6000 years ago. Why?? Because some guy used a metaphor in the new testament??

I'm saying I think you, and other mainstream Christians put God in a little box. You're set on it and that's it, therefore ALL you are going to get are arguments from others who don't necessarily see it that way. Follow one of the rules and don't JUDGE.
edit on 29-8-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Wow! You have a 2000 year old Bible and can translate ancient Hebrew and Aramaic? Even if at some point the Bible was 100% accurate it certainly isn't now. Have you ever played the game Telephone? Now imagine a game of Telephone that has lasted for thousands of years, the message is 181,253 words long and every so often it gets translated to a different language. Now that doesn't even count the first 1000 years or so where books were being added and taken away at the whims of emperors and kings.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

How has the gene pool gotten smaller? Last time I checked 6,775,235,700 was greater than two. Also, please tell us what the mechanism is for this so-called devolution. How did our genes go from perfect to less than perfect without mutations?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join