It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey Results: Origins and Evolution

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The truly sad part of where this conversation is heading, is that all Conspiracy Theorists are part of a tiny minority themselves and yet they choose to attack others who may believe differently than they do.

The problem is not in the debate, but in the behavior of the debaters.

From Harris Vault - Harris Polls Interactive search. This is from 2009. (Search under the keyword God and all years.)

New York, N.Y. — December 15, 2009 — A new Harris Poll finds that the great majority (82%) of American adults believe in God, exactly the same number as in two earlier Harris Polls in 2005 and 2007. Large majorities also believe in miracles (76%), heaven (75%), that Jesus is God or the Son of God (73%), in angels (72%), the survival of the soul after death (71%), and in the resurrection of Jesus (70%).

Less than half (45%) of adults believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution but this is more than the 40% who believe in creationism.

These are some of the results of The Harris Poll of 2,303 adults surveyed online between November 2 and 11, 2009 by Harris Interactive.

The survey also finds that: 61% of adults believe in hell; 61% believe in the virgin birth (Jesus born of Mary); 60% believe in the devil; 42% believe in ghosts; 32% believe in UFOs; 26% believe in astrology; 23% believe in witches 20% believe in reincarnation – that they were once another person.

None of these numbers have changed much since previous surveys in 2005 and 2007.

From a CBS February 2011 Poll.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5ec4241400a7.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/47716626b83a.jpg[/atsimg]

Somebody earlier suggested that the ATS Poll means few believe and that this means a tiny number of believers are very vocal. It is however not only possible it actually means the believers skipped the Poll, it is likely they did judging by national polls taken for many years. I skipped it because the wording was not conducive to my answers being understood or relevant.

It will be interesting to see if non-believers take this clearly skewed poll as a signal to step up their attacks on those who believe differently than they do. I'm betting the hate speech goes up a notch.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I figured more people would lean towards creation.
hmmm.
I'll pray for the world today.

ATSers are not religious loonies who believe in made up stories created by organized religion so they could make a buck and get power.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

So... Many "Above Top Secret" visitors do not exercise religious tolerance?

Hmmm... I wonder what history could teach us about discrimination?

After seeing these results and reading everyone's comments, I suddenly do not feel like I am welcomed here.

Skeptic wanted proof that there was an anti-religious group dominating his site. Keep in mind that I do not blame Skeptic or his team for this mess. I blame 'visitors' for not exercising religious tolerance. I'm not upset with the poll results, but I am upset with visitor replies.

Congrats.

edit on 8/30/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
Not until some devastating refutation you put up.

Do you know what's funny about being skeptic? That those who are skeptic think that they are at the most secure place as no one would call them nuts and they are the smarter, cooler, saner people. Well you're very wrong there.

And the 2nd funny thing about being skeptic is, you refuse to accept that there may be other factors than just evolution, like mutations and viruses, errors in the DNA? Or just called epigenetics? Why are you scientists so ignorant? Ok don't believe aliens, I don't believe that much myself, so you got that wrong thinking im some religious person or someone taking aliens as religion, I am not.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Here is an earthly explanation for you, how Darwin theory could be wrong and it has NOTHIN to do with aliens. It's ok, it was an insult centuries ago to tell that human evolved naturally from monkeys, all was created by God, the same goes for your unreasonable convenience that Darwin's theory is the ultimate explanation and all other BUTsa re wrong.... well they arent

As for being perfectly adapted, we are not. When I meet this Ancient Alien Creator of yours, I want to have a quiet word in his ear about knees.

The reason why this theory exists, it is the only POSSIBLE explanation of the Bible IF anything of the bible are to be correct. The reason why the Bible could be telling true stories but christians take them literally, while they could be misinterpretations are all the cave drawings, stories, historical facts speaking of seeing such ships, crafts, lights.

By laughing at this you do not take into account all the drawings, sighs, symbols, arterfacrs talking about other beings. There is where I think Traditional Scinece fails as much as Religion. One should start thinking outisde the box as there is a lot of science not understood.

How would you explain the sudden change in the skull? Do you believe there is a missing link in the human evolution? Isn't it simply an added made-up creature between neanderthal and the homo sapiens just to make sense for the sheeple to understand?

edit on 30-8-2011 by Imtor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/47716626b83a.jpg[/atsimg]

Don't the ATS survey results mirror this, though?

As a non-believer; even I "strongly agreed" that belief in evolution does not conflict with belief in a supernatural entity/deity.

There's always a way to infer an unfalsifiable hypothesis.

See "God of the Gaps".
edit on 30/8/2011 by NeverForget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Section31
So... Many "Above Top Secret" visitors do not exercise religious tolerance?

Hmmm... I wonder what history could teach us about discrimination?

I think you'll find in recorded history is that it have been the non-Theists that have been the brunt of discrimination.

After seeing these results, I do not feel like I am welcomed here.

Why? Not a calm pool for your beliefs? As an agnostic I get it from both Theists and Atheists. Even though it's the most logical understanding..... imo.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by spikey

To be honest, he did just part the sea, and nearly destroy an entire civilization. To whine after that? I'd probably get pissed too.

Enough to murder the refugees you were supposed to be saving?

Come on.

40 years roaming a desert eating the same diet is a lot to expect of anyone, let alone expect them not to have serious doubts.

But suffering and murder for having those doubts? From their supposed saviour?

It doesn't wash with me Gorman.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverForget

Well no. I said I was brutal in war, though I am also brutally against war.

Once Hitler proved himself an existential threat to existence, I'd honestly wait till we had the bomb and just start chucking them all over Europe. I would more or less begin a genocide of the German until they surrendered. It is truly that simple.

This is how I am brutal in war, and brutally against war.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I figured more people would lean towards creation.
hmmm.
I'll pray for the world today.

Just because society/the world itself is filled with mostly brainwashed, religious maniacs,
doesn't mean the majority of ATS is.

Yeah, you go "pray".
edit on 30-8-2011 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Once Hitler proved himself an existential threat to existence, I'd honestly wait till we had the bomb and just start chucking them all over Europe. I would more or less begin a genocide of the German until they surrendered. It is truly that simple.

How very humane. I thought something was odd when you oxy-moronically described yourself as "brutally" against War.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Two possibilities. Either they simply evolved them out, or there always was two groups, one with and one without, and as time went on, one separated, the other won the competition.? Certainly such traits would not be useful everywhere. That's all I'm saying, we do not know. Hell, I have yet to hear what these genes actually do. Until I see them in or not in homo erectus, I can only postulate. I need facts.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

It's not humane. It's fast. It's brutal. it's bloody. And it serves the purpose the enemy that we were focusing on. Hitler's entire empire was based off willpower. And if there's one thing will power is useless against, it's...global thermonuclear war.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I was taught Homo Erectus was the common ancestor to the two, and if nothing else, physical appearance does suggest this.

In any case, the point still stands. Did the common ancestor have it?

I'm not a fan of the "separate evolution" theory, Out of Africa makes a lot more sense when you start to look at technological advancements and other such things. Even that graph shows it. We are more related globally than we are to erectus. Suggesting Homo erectus is not the origins of Asians or anything like that.

If I recall, Mitochondrial dna kind of proves out of Africa without a doubt.
edit on 30-8-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

So....if Adman Eve are the first man and woman ever on earth .....and they had sons and daughters....then who did their sons and daughter marry and have children with?

The survey results are about what I expected.

Well According to the Bible the Sons of Anak !( Fallen Angels their offspring Er.... Nephilim The Ones that caused Chaos
and Eventualy The Hebrew God had to wash them Out Literately ( Deluge )

what surprises me For Christians is in the Hebrew Bible it says Angels are Gods First Creation of a Bipedal Humanoid like Being,, Were They were Here Before Man ?
As they are Not Created From This Planet Called Earth!

Can Anyone Tell ME Where in the Heck Is Heaven ! Another Dimension Plane, Another Star ,
That what i Would Like to know ! So People of ATS Enlighten ME Where is Heaven !

I Honestly Believe that ET's Aliens & Angels Are the Same thing ...

To Me it Makes Perfect sense Spiritual Light Entity's to Physical Form Angels ! Going around their Chariots (Spacecrafts ) that you also see so much in Babylonian, Sumerian, Assyrian Arts & Crafts & architecture

Ohh Look An Angel Annunakki Winged Humanoid or it a Metaphor that he is a Pilot ! that can Fly !

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/53054cda2732.jpg[/atsimg]

Nephilim
en.wikipedia.org...

[
edit on 30-8-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Like I said. They were under the covenant. They could have stayed in Egypt if they desired. I suspect some did. Just like some stayed in exile in persia, never returning.

They choose that path. They chose the responsibility is entailed.
edit on 30-8-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

It's not humane. It's fast. It's brutal. it's bloody.

Very Nazi-like.

And it serves the purpose the enemy that we were focusing on

Not all were in support of the regime, many were conscripted, or forced into submission, we can't bomb "Germany", that's not a humane approach to "war." And your very contradictory, as it seems you are in support of it. LOL. You make me laugh Gorman.

And if there's one thing will power is useless against, it's...global thermonuclear war.

Well let's hope theocratic countries like Iran don't get hold of such suicidal weapons, and use them in a "Holy" war. We need to escape our solar system, at least before the explosion of our star, not before we die from the entropic heat-death of the universe.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I think you'll find in recorded history is that it have been the non-Theists that have been the brunt of discrimination.

My belief system is based upon science, history, philosophy, and religion.

Bible = Fundamental outline about the origin, evolution, and ending of our species and universe.

Science = Complex explanation about the origin, evolution, and ending of our species and universe.

Originally posted by intrepid
Why? Not a calm pool for your beliefs?

Maybe its not. You have given me something to think about.

edit on 8/30/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz

Any creature in this universe willing to stay and influence humanity as long as that is hopelessly retarded. No offense to anyone, but it's true. You don't hang around cave men, expecting them to suddenly build civilization and join you in eternal peace in the stars.

Heaven does not exist in reality. Anything that exists in this reality can be observed, and in turn, modified or destroyed. If God, or anything else existed in this reality, they would by definition not be God. Because God cannot change. Things in this universe can change.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by rhinoceros
Wisdom of the crowd has spoken

Yeah...But are we any closer to a solution? Of course not. This science vs religion thing must die...IT MUST DIE! They are actually inseparable. All of you railing on science need to break your computers, cut your power lines, smash your #ing smart phone and xboxes. Then burn your god damn house down because architecture and engineering? Pffft who needs that?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Imtor

The ramblings of an uneducated journalists. This is far from a scientific breakthrough, and the epigenetic "revolution" seriously makes me laugh hysterically. Its a few uninformed, attention-starved journalists trying to make a name for themselves, and creating controversy for no other reason than boredom.

I believe Fisher in the 50's wrote about the inheritance of information outside of the domain of DNA, that which was sex-specific. This can be explained by methylation, and is completely resolved through chemical mechanisms.. Hardly a challenger to the modern evolutionary synthesis. Within the scientific field it is rather profound because it offers a new way to look at adaptations, but to the general public this shouldn't even be a headline

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Again, yes it is nazi like. The only way to defeat an enemy is to use what they are against them. Many times this means becoming them.

The innocent of that war? Well hopefully after the first, or maybe even the 5th bomb, they'd be sensible to start a riot or revolt. I'd withhold bombing such a place. If they choose submission, they die with the rest.

Again, I have no rules in war. An enemy is an enemy, and their elimination is all that I care about. This is not good. It's efficient. And when dealing with Hitler, you only defeat him by becoming just as bad.

This only goes for war mind you. Once again, war and peace are different times, which call for different mindsets and treatment

new topics

top topics

<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join