It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survey Results: Origins and Evolution

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

I think the point was that it's been scientifically estimated to be 'at least' 4 Billion years old, and nowhere near 6,000 years old (give or take a century or two).
reply to post by spikey

You hit the nail right on the head here and the key word is estimated. Just because you put the word scientific in front of it, doesn't lend it anymore credibility. And carbon dating has been known to be narrowed down to a century or two so when you reach into the billions of years I am pretty sure you can assume that a century or two will be compounded.
Nobody is disputing the way geology works and that layers and sediment is created over time. What I said is that it cannot be accurately measured. I understand that some religious people may take the bible literally and that is fine if it works for them. I believe it also says in the same bible that Gods time and our time differs or at least our understanding of time is measured differently. So in that vein, it is possible that 6 days for God may be 6 billion years for us? Hey ...it's a theory, just like EVOLUTION.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by jimbo999

To semi-quote from the Batman, if you make yourself more than just a man, you will be remembered.

There is today evidence enough that suggests every single god and godess of the pan indo-european pantheon were kings and queens somewhere in India or nearby. And that every god in that pantheon, be it Thor, zeus, Jupiter, etc etc, were the same single king or queen from back when.

If some pre-history kings or queens can come into existence and stay known for so long, I see no reason why any person in the Bible is of any difference. In fact, even the Bible says thy were real people.
edit on 29-8-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

What evidence do you have of these mythical kings and queens existence? We are talking a prehistoric India yes? A prehistoric India with very little or no historical literature to help identify these people, With that in mind, it makes the Bible look even more tenuous and creative, as it was supposedly written within the last few thousand years (particularly the New Testament) - yet the sheer mass of corroborating literature that should be on record is nowhere to be found.

Odd huh?

J.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MollyStewart

I think the point was that it's been scientifically estimated to be 'at least' 4 Billion years old, and nowhere near 6,000 years old (give or take a century or two).
reply to post by spikey

You hit the nail right on the head here and the key word is estimated. Just because you put the word scientific in front of it, doesn't lend it anymore credibility. And carbon dating has been known to be narrowed down to a century or two so when you reach into the billions of years I am pretty sure you can assume that a century or two will be compounded.
Nobody is disputing the way geology works and that layers and sediment is created over time. What I said is that it cannot be accurately measured. I understand that some religious people may take the bible literally and that is fine if it works for them. I believe it also says in the same bible that Gods time and our time differs or at least our understanding of time is measured differently. So in that vein, it is possible that 6 days for God may be 6 billion years for us? Hey ...it's a theory, just like EVOLUTION.

You obviously don't even understand what the term "scientific theory" actually means then....

Try Google.

J.

link   

Well...

en.wikipedia.org...

There is that.

Yea I know it's wikipedia, but check the sources. Pretty legit. So many historic similarities, even into the Americas (and I can supply artifact photographic similarities if you'd like), leads one to conclude that they all originate from the same couple of people.
edit on 29-8-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

link   

reply to post by spikey

I imagine Noah was in a boat. I imagine he saved all the animals of his day. But for all you know, this ship was a bio lab, and he a biologist, with the dna of every species on Earth, enough so as to recolonize Earth, It's biblically plausible. It's also possible that Noah's ark was the TARDIS. Again, possible too.

Simply put, we do not know. So it is not your place to assume false 100%

Ah but come on Gorman my old mate, the way you describe it sounds reasonable, it's as far away from what 'you know who' is saying as comparing travelling by foot, versus travelling by interstellar lightship.

Could take it a step further and say Jonah was scooped up by a USO too, (like Ed Harris from The Abyss) but again, while plausible in my book, is a million miles from what he's saying. If that was what was being offered as an explanation, i'd probably have said...could have been, why not. Or words to that effect.

By the way, i'm chuffed to bits...'you know who' has just added me to his 'foes' list! So it's not all been a waste of my time chatting on this thread.

Cheers mate.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I figured more people would lean towards creation.
hmmm.
I'll pray for the world today.

ATSers are not religious loonies who believe in made up stories created by organized religion so they could make a buck and get power.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
edit on 29-8-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

It has nothing to do with being popular , and everything to do with common sense.
7 days huh?
climb down from the ivory soap box and join the rest of us in our fiinite existence.
Thank you and god bless.
edit on 29-8-2011 by HappilyEverAfter because: stet

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Well now, it appears there are a great number of the Godless here; people who think the Universe just happened and there is no intelligent designer behind it all. I suppose it doesn't matter, as they say, there are no atheist in fox holes and those who do not wake up will at some point in this life or the next or the next and even the blindest of the blind I suspect will catch up at some point. However, as it is in nature, the worthy survive and thrive, while the rest tend to be the fertilizer..at some point. Let's hope that time of judgement; of gleaning the wheat from the crap isn't now upon us or maybe we should hope so; I hope I would like to see a lot of the crud washed away but, it is not my call. I did not take the survey because the questions did not get close enough to what I believe. It is interesting none the less..I suppose your parents and the environment are to blame...sad in many ways.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I am all about having faith, if you but look at all of the incredible 'coincidences' that add up to us, here, now, it's very easy (and Logical, by the way) to deduce that there is a Pattern to the universe.

Pattern, by definition, is non random order.

But I find it very hard to understand why any compassionate human would still identify themselves as Christian or Muslim or Jewish, for that matter, after just a brief overview of World History.

Even if Jesus WAS the son of God and not just a borrowed Egyptian parable, how can you sleep at night knowing you have allied yourself with one of the most homicidal, destructive and oppressive forces this world has ever known?

How can you stand idly by and witness the murder mutilation and terror these 'religions' are guilty of and pretend that they are still viable 'moral guides'?

How can you square that?

link   
reply to post by spikey

haha.

Well you know, if you actually read into Jonah, he probably was dead. Dead as can be. Swallowed, digested, and than barfed. Like the little fishes do in your fish tank. Go ahead, feed them a huge freaking chunk of flake, and they'll barf it up.

Jesus says that the only sign to an unbelieving generation is the sign of Jonah. And there is serious consideration that this sign is raising from the dead (what with Christ doing so, with himself being in what he called an unbelieving generation.)

So yea, he didn't set up camp inside a great overgrown fish for 3 days. He died, got barfed up, and than got brought back to life. How? Well that's faith in God.

link   

reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Aaaand once again you ignore what I say, make up your own accusations, and cannot fathom different opinions.

Adam and Eve were PART OF a house. A family lineage. Like the Bushes, or the Obamas. A lineage, which even the Bible eludes to, what with Luke and the lot putting the whole lineage of Christ back to Abraham/Adam.

I told you, it IS fantasy. Fantasy that can no more be proven true or false than anything else. What we know to be absolutely true is in the bible. Everything else? Speculation irrelevant to salvation.

So now, are you going to stop assuming and misquoting?

"What we know to be absolutely true is in the bible. Everything else? Speculation irrelevant to salvation."??

No - what we know to be absolutely true is in front of our eyes and in the libraries of mankind's collective knowledge base. Everything else is fantasy or pure speculation...

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
You've completely and utterly failed to grasp the meaning of my post.

Deliberately so i reckon...can't answer, so you pretend ignorance eh?

I'll spell it out for you then.

If JONAH can survive being swallowed and being in the belly of a fish with all of the digestive processes, lack of oxygen and all the myriad other practical considerations, due solely to 'the protection of a loving god' as you put it, or miracle is another way you describe it, then why didn't the same 'protection of a loving god' save Noah, his family and the animals in another hostile environment, without a boat?

WHY did Noah REQUIRE a boat for his survival, when JONAH didn't REQUIRE breathing apparatus, and a hazmat suit for HIS survival? The LAST family of righteous humans on Earth not worthy of a miracle, only a set of blueprints, when Jon...ah what's the point?!

Tell you what mate, don't bother...i already know your answer is going to be incomprehensible rubbish, and i've read enough from you for one night.

Act stupid all you want, other readers will have seen the point, and seen right through you too.

Getting a little heated are we?

Haha its okay buddy take a chill pill.

Simply put noah's survival of him and his family was one big miracle. Miracles take the form of all different kinds, you are simply making assumptions about Jonah and trying to compare them to the flood of Noah whilst ignoring the fact they were 2 completely different circimumstances . All Christians accept the story of Jonah, so i really don't see why your trying to debate it, because even Jesus himself referenced to Jonah. And i'll take his word over your's anyday.

As for your breathing apparatus argument, it was rather stupid, (putting it lightly). But that's a new one for me, ive never heard that one before.

edit on 29-8-2011 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I figured more people would lean towards creation.
hmmm.
I'll pray for the world today.

Yeah it is hard for people to accept that we are created by the 'gods' or 'sons of god' or as we call them today Extraterrestrials. Through the wisdom and grace bestowed on them by the infinitite creator source, the ETs or w/e you like to call them helped create something wonderful on the Earth, but somewhere along the way it got really screwed up.

I really can't blame people for not accepting this, taken at face value it sounds insane. But if you dig deep enough in our past it is very obvious the 'gods' walked with man in the first time. This is the fallacy of the mystery schools; Too much credit is given to these gods instead of to 'the one' or creator. If this was a random universe chaos would reign supreme, yet it does not.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Ill give you a one up on winning an internet survey. When i was 12 i got 8th place in a bowling tournament that had 12 people. I got the trophy to prove it.

Check and mate internet survey.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

No, in terms of what is truth in the Bible, what the Bible says is truth is truth.

Furthermore, don't be so caught up and thinking history is true, Just about the only thing 100% provable in history is the last 500 or so years, when people actually started living by codes of objectivity. Everything else is, quite actually, speculation with what's been left over. Granted quite accurate speculation, but I would ask you to look into those early historic writings. There's quite a number of people, such as Piranesi, whom took it perfectly on their own liberty to completely redesign ancient cities.

I'm sorry my good sir, but we only know for sure that which has been documented with codified rules of historic accounting.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Centurionx

The God of abraham isaac and jacob is NOT an extraterrestrial. I am really SICK of you people saying this, its an outright insult to our almighty God. Our god does not dwell on another planet and is not coming back on a spaceship like the ones you see in starwars... This is stupid talk God (1 god in 3 persons) is all powerfull and all knowing and can see every last little thing you do or type here at ATS. When you say extraterrestrial you are meaning alien, from another planet annuaki style, which is not true at all. God the father is in heaven, and his son is also in heaven preparing it for our arrival. This is not some place in the universe but rather in the spiritual plane of existence where your soul go's after you die if your a born again believer.
edit on 29-8-2011 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

The also forgot this one:

"The invisible lizard men created humans to be inbred slaves."

I have actually had people try to tell me that.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

You are stating that the entire Bible is factually true?

Or that, the Bible itself believes what it has within is true?

Some what now?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Extraterrestrial actually means 'not of the Earth,' which would be technically true about the Christian God, as he is not from Earth.

link   
reply to post by jimnuggits

I believe the Bible to be true.

link   
it didnt take an ATS pole to know I wasnt in good company ,looks like I need to find another web site

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join