It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins using Conch Shells to Catch Fish...Trick is Spreading.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Wow check this out...

Dolphins have been seen using conch shells to shake fish in their mouths.

Surfers above are watching the dolphins fish. They say the trick is spreading.

PERTH, Australia (Reuters) - Dolphins in one western Australian population have been observed holding a large conch shell in their beaks and using it to shake a fish into their mouths -- and the behavior may be spreading.

"Maybe they're playing, maybe they're socializing, maybe males are presenting a gift to a female or something like that, maybe the animals are actually eating the animal inside." But researchers were more intrigued when they studied the photos and found the back of a fish hanging out of the shell, realizing that the shaking drained the water out of the shells and caused the fish that was sheltering inside to fall into the dolphins' mouths.

We all know how smart these mammals are.

The other is "sponging" -- in which the dolphins break off a conical bit of sponge and fit it over their heads like a cap, shielding them as they forage for food on the sea floor. But both of these spread "vertically," mainly through the female dolphin population, from mother to daughter. The intriguing thing about this new behavior with the conch shells is that it might be spreading "horizontally," Allen said.

Apparently it's not their only trick either.

Is this the first animal we will fully communicate with?

Yahoo Story

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

I recently read about the "sponging" technique, but this is the first I've read about conch shells! Amazing!

Dolphins never cease to amaze me with their ingenuity.

What is your opinion on dolphin/human psychic connections/channeling?

Much love,
OnewithAll

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Watch and learn.
I've seen the dolphins swim along the coast in california and herd the fish towards the coast.
The pelicans know this and dive bomb for fish.
I'm a firm believer in watching the living creatures of earth and learning from them.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
i bet the claimed ufo's coming out of the water are really dolphins going to space.

on a side note this is really cool. i knew dolphins were intelligent but wow. theyre using tools without the use of thumbs. obvious sign that we arent the most evolved creatures on the planet

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Dolphins are one of the smartest creatures i have witnessed, their larger cousins in Scotland have many tricks up their fins to catch fish, that i have witnessed,

The dolphins in Florida use mud to help catch fish which is something to see,

Wee Mad
edit on 29/8/2011 by weemadmental because: because i am worth it

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by weemadmental

Thanks for the videos.

I am amazed by the learned behavior.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Such behavior in animals may not be known to many but it has been like this all along. Once you "live" with them, the things which amazes others is the norm to him who sees them everyday.

It is not that i am running down those who sees a marine mammal doing something like this for the first time, or others who's never heard, or knew, that a simple fish uses "tools" to eat. But, to say that it is a natural and common occurrence we miss, thanks to those who'd rather reach to the sky and not earth. What is a sad shame is that man spend most it's money studying space than this which we live on.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
People need to wake up

www.anti-dolphin.org...

Fear these creatures, they know our Ocean better than us and probably have underwater bases where they plot to destroy us while "playing" all cute & cuddly on the surface to distract us from their intentions!
edit on 29/8/11 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The way I read it the fish hide in the shell and the dolphins bring it to the surface so that the fish falls out with the water. It would be interesting to see if they set or monitor the shells as traps?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Discotech
People need to wake up

www.anti-dolphin.org...

Fear these creatures, they know our Ocean better than us and probably have underwater bases where they plot to destroy us while "playing" all cute & cuddly on the surface to distract us from their intentions!
edit on 29/8/11 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

Now i've seen all...fear the dolphins and Humans Rule....yup,ok.
They ( the dolphins) are way too smart to do anything to us,we're destroying ourselves pretty good lately.
The only time i question their intelect is when they save a human.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Discotech
People need to wake up

"Fear these creatures, they know our Ocean better than us and probably have underwater bases where they plot to destroy us while "playing" all cute & cuddly on the surface to distract us from their intentions!"

I got a great chuckle out of that.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
From what I have read of dolphins it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they put this fish in the shell to begin with and carry the conch like some sort of lunch box. Maybe they are trying to tell the surfers they will deliver.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reminds me of when our own simian ancestors learned to use rocks to open clams, etc

and, dolphins & simians both are 1 chromosome pair away from humans'

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Dolphins are absolutely amazing.

I stumbled across this video one night:

I can't help but be impressed.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

These videos continue to amaze me.

What else could they teach us?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I love Dolphins, and I wouldn't mind if they ruled the world some day. They could teach us a thing or two about life and how to value it, unlike the times we live in now where people just don't care.

That said, could the ascension process be affecting them as well? if everything on earth is getting an upgrade in dna that would cause species to grow one more level in intellect and brain power. Perhaps the fact that Dolphins are starting to use tools is clear evidence that life on this planet is evolving in one way shape or form.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere

Is this the first animal we will fully communicate with?

Yahoo Story

No, the first animal we have communicated with more than anything is probably koko the gorilla. She spoke sign language. Remember her pet cat that died? And how she mourned it's death and would say "koko sad"?

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Great point...

I forgot all about "Koko".

Have we (other than the military) tried to decipher the Dolphin language?

I know they are working on whale calls.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

The video where they tell Koko that Allball died is one of the saddest things I've ever seen. What a beautiful and brilliant creature.

It would be interesting to see what happened if they taught a whole troupe of gorillas sign language, a school of sorts.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I saw a program about the amazon dolphins, they have trouble catching fish so theyve teams up with the fishermen.

They round up the fish and shepherd them to where the fisherman are standing, when the time it right they slap their tails on the surface and then the fisherman throw the nets. The fish get caught by the nets and the only way out is to jump out.... straight into the dolphins mouths who are waiting for them.

Both of them teaming up get much more than they could individually.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join