It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Typing "LOL" when you're really not Laughing Out Loud.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I feel like this is something we all do.

Whether it your girlfriend/boyfriend sends you a text message and it's basically forced upon you to respond, you'll reply back with LOL, following with some other non-important text, or all lowercase implying that you're laughing out loud but you're really not lol (really laughing about this lol).

This threads really small, I'm not asking for stars or flags. I just saw the thread about people misusing "your" and "you're" and it reminded me of this subject so I just felt like I should post it...lol

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
This thread makes me want to LOL...

& I ain't laughin' out loud either.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

LOL........still ain't laughin'

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Or some people like to ROTFLMAO

You just know if they're out in public, that's not true :shk:

Well, maybe with some people, it could be true

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
lol is shorter than, "that's funny but not funny enough to make me laugh out loud."
It's being used as an idiomatic expression, where the meaning isn't the same as the meaning of the words used individually.

But next time you suspect someone of using it that way, you should say "i see you, you're not really laughing out loud." If they aren't actually loling, they will be freaked out and then everyone can actually lol.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Skate

There are times I actually lol (when I'm typing it)..but I never rflmao ..and I can't see anyone doing this either...but I see it typed all the time.. (rolling on the floor laughing my ass off)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Seems it's just becoming something for people to put, when they don't know or have nothing to say.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
lqtm

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
lqtm

like that one

how about sss ? (slow silent smile)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Skate

You know whats even worse then that dude, is the fact that LOL was just incorporated into the dictionary.. LOL

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I'm guilty.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
How lazy is society getting when were trying to figure out ways to reduce words??

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I agree - the lol has become for many a politically correct was to acknowledge another's message.

Let's see what we can come up with - something like yeah will never take off, it has four letters - so much more work than three.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenOhhTwo
reply to post by Skate

You know whats even worse then that dude, is the fact that LOL was just incorporated into the dictionary.. LOL

NUH UH ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

LOL!!

no wait

lqtmasal

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
My boyfriend thought that LOL meant "Lots of Love". That made me ROTFLMAO
when he got a text from a male co-worker after my boyfriend sent him a text. He was slightly confused.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skate

Originally posted by SevenOhhTwo
reply to post by Skate

NUH UH ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!

So was muffin top and OMG

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Thanx a lot guys...I just LOL'D all over myself. Sheesh!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

It's for when lol moves over into sarcasm

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
LOL has become quite overused (Hank Moody in Californication even jokes around with the use of it, as he's a writer). I will defend its use a bit though. Here in Southern Africa, we tend to IM a lot on our phones, as a lot of people don't have computers. Apps like Messenger and Whatsapp are common place, and with the advent of (cheap) touchscreen phones, typing hahahahah is quite the mission. When one replies to a proper text message with LOL or ROFLMAO...that's when I lose it.

I am a grammar Nazi though.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join