It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people have such a hard time with "your" and "you're"?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

Point taken..I guess I should start my own rant about people who rant about spelling.
[color=6FB0B3]Post #4

Apparently, you thought about this a bit more, and decided against it? It may have been a good idea to follow through, or at the very least, discontinue the hypocritical path that you were traveling down. I have a couple minutes to spare. That double-hinged door, that I mentioned before, has not stopped swinging.

Be careful, it's 'bout to be comin' back atcha.

Originally posted by gabby2011
This ↑ applies to each and every one of the forthcoming quotes, but has been removed for aesthetic purposes.

Sometimes, it is best to start in the beginning.

[color=6FB0B3]Post #1

You know how tiring these rants are over "you're and your" ,and other spelling errors ?
Leave!! Leave now!!! Go!! Get out of the 'Rant' Forum. If you are unable to comprehend what a 'rant' is, then you do not belong in this forum. It is an extremely simple solution to this problem of yours.

I mean if you can't read understand what the message is anyhow, then maybe you shouldn't be on a site reading.
Huh? Make up your mind. Is it reading, or is it understanding?

Anyways..... If you can't 'read understand' what a rant is anyhow, then maybe you shouldn't be in the Rant Forum, reading a rant.

There are people who absentmindedly overlook the silly errors , but still are intelligent ,and I for one want to read what they have to add to a thread.

What I don't want to read another thread about is how someone can go into "rant" mode over the words "you're and your".

GET A LIFE !!!
That is very interesting, and quite peculiar.

I don't believe a single word of it. If that were even remotely close to the truth, you would have never opened this thread. Yet alone, read it, and spatter your comments all over it.

[color=6FB0B3]Post #2

Why would you bully and intimidate the weaker spellers anyhow?? To make yourself feel more intelligent?
How is that method working out for you? Gained any additional smarts yet?

I want them to know that I for one don't give a crap about the spelling ,and I want them to share their thoughts, because they are still valuable.
Bump this thread again.
That'll show 'em.

You want to make fun of them,and try to act superior..well guess what...you're not superior ..and..oh yeah..you're not funny either.
ditto

[color=6FB0B3]Post #3

I know this wasn't directed at me, but it could have been...and all I can say BrokenCircles is that I don't want the members who already feel intimidated about their spelling to hold back their thoughts because of ridicule over silly spelling oversights.

Its difficult enough for some to get the courage to speak out , and this kind of thread makes them even more scared to speak out. That is why I speak out about it..so that those members may know that many of us don't care about the grammar and spelling .. as long as we can understand the post..its all good.
[color=F285BC]Sissies!

[color=6FB0B3]Post #5

This one is too much for me. I gotta skip it.
It pained my brain.

[color=25B834]To be continued..........

edit on 8/30/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
[color=25B834]..........continued

[color=6FB0B3]Post #6

C'mon..give me a break... these are NOT are children on here.
Are you sure you are sure that these are not are children?
I have my suspicions, in regards to this particular detail.

I find the constant berating of spelling a bit tedious after awhile. You really think some self righteous pointing of the finger is really going to help ?
Is it helping you? Don't let the door jam your finger.

Similar to being a spectator at a tennis match........... [color=B8795A]double-hinged

Also the way these mistakes are pointed out is often done with cruel jibes to the intelligence of these members which does nothing for their self esteem and desire to learn the correct way.
No No No No!!! You got that all wrong. That's the beauty of it.

Those who are too stupid to realize, won't even know that they're being made fun of. Thus, they will not get their feelings hurt. It is a fine art. Success is not always easy to achieve. It often takes a good amount of creativity, in order for it to be accomplished flawlessly.

[color=E03838]Skillz

I merely stated that I don't care about the spelling so much ..as I do about reading the post.

Merely stated? You sure about that?

Do it then. Go on. Shoo. Shoo. Go read those posts.
Stop wasting your precious time, by reading this one.

[color=6FB0B3]Post #7

........than berating someone on an international website...........

Perhaps the people that so "kindly" want to help..as you put it..should send a u2u with some grammar rules instead of starting a whole thread to jump on these people. There is nothing kind about that teaching method.
Personally, I have done that numerous times. I have U2U'd other members to inform them about errors in their title, or in the OP, because I did not want to see their thread get flamed off course.

There is one very important factor that you somehow continue to overlook. This thread is a rant. This thread was not berating anyone, until people, such as yourself, came in to berate the OP. Seeing as how this thread is exactly where it belongs, that course of action is unacceptable.

In case you have not yet figured it out, the door that I have mentioned, would not be swinging back your way, if you had not pushed it in the first place. Keep pushing it, and it will continue swinging back.

You can either take my word for it, or you can test that theory. The choice is yours.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Yes..this thread was a rant about spelling..I ranted back..

what have you done?

You have turned into an arena for putting me down .

So sorry that I care more about what the human is trying to get across on the post than how they spell "you're and your"

So sorry that you are so petty as to drag this out into a personal vendetta .

There is one very important factor that you somehow continue to overlook. This thread is a rant. This thread was not berating anyone, until people, such as yourself, came in to berate the OP. Seeing as how this thread is exactly where it belongs, that course of action is unacceptable.

Yes ..actually it was.. berating the people who misuse the words "you're and your" ..and I wasn't the only one or first one who responded to the op in the way I did. Curious as to why you singled me out for this "public spanking" so to speak.

So now you are saying it is unacceptable how we feel?..and we shouldn't be aloud to post our disagreement to this rant.. Have you read how many disagreements there are to rants ? ..in all the threads?

edit on 30-8-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

This pet peeve or yours, is slightly different then one that I have. For some reason, it doesn't bother me when their talking about going over to they're friends house over their, on the other side of town. Nor does it bother me much if your gonna wait until it's time to leave, before you pay for you're dinner. What bugs me, is if after all of that, you've decided that you're gonna go home first, than leave again, and go back to the store.

That wasn't easy to write, so if it isn't obvious, than click here→ [color=SkyBlue]◄▒►

I know I know!!! it bugs the hell out of me too

You're, your, their they're there, THEN AND THAN

they all bug me, I don't care what excuse they give

If they learned to type and spell properly they'd do it automatically. Nothing lazy about it.
if they're using a phone, I bet they're neglecting something else
GET OFF THE PHONE, get back to work/girlfriend/boyfriend/family/whatever

I still mess up my apostrophes though - one day I'll get it

and it peeves me
but I try to improve *cough*

if they're going to mess it up, might as well go full on and do "UR"
I like UR better THAN reading YOUR for YOU'RE

Continue with your "Gabby Rant" ♥

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I still mess up my apostrophes though - one day I'll get it and it peeves me but I try to improve *cough* if they're going to mess it up, might as well go full on and do "UR" I like UR better THAN reading YOUR for YOU'RE Continue with your "Gabby Rant" ♥
reply to post by Forevever

wow..thanks .. nice to see the vultures out for blood...

Funny how the ones that complain about spelling and grammar..are ok with their own.. (and I'm called the hypocrite)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

He didn't write a thesis on the uses of Your and You're..he complained about how people are so "not intelligent" for using them incorrectly. So I don't see how it helped anyone.

People may be getting little tired of the grammar and spelling police..Please don't listen to what i have to say..just how I say it.

Peace

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
If you want to be anal about grammar, go to the library for some intellectual comfort. Sloppy errors on the net are not going anywhere and we shouldn't have to break out the little brown book of grammar every time we want to post an idea.

Its not fun.

But, this is the rant section and I feel like no topic should be excluded including this one and maybe we need a bit of tolerance from both sides here. As for myself I will continue to type my thoughts as they spew and not worry about getting graded on it.

Warm Regards,
The grammatically offensive Typist

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I'm only discussing the topic of this thread.

If I attack your grammar in another thread, that isn't about improper grammar, please feel free to get snippy

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I will give you one freebie. After that, if you want me to answer any of your questions, you will first answer some of mine.

Originally posted by gabby2011

So now you are saying it is unacceptable how we feel?..and we shouldn't be aloud to post our disagreement to this rant.
No. That is not what I said.

The part that is unacceptable, is the repeated hypocrisy that you(and others), have displayed throughout this thread. You continue expressing your own hostility, while telling the OP he should not have expressed his.

I provided you with a detailed explanation, but apparently you still don't understand? Go back and read your own posts. Try to look at them from a different perspective. Read those posts as if they had been written by someone else, other than yourself.

[color=7D7D7D]P.S. 'allowed'

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Would you like me to stay out of threads that rant about silly spelling errors? Or do I have a right to express how silly I think it is that so called intelligent people need to bring attention ..once again ..to trivial errors.

I didn't realize the rant section was for rants that nobody could disagree with. Perhaps I was a little strong in my wording..but it bothers me to see someone who may not use "you're and your" , or "to and too " correctly ...referred to as unintelligent ...and it happens way too often on this site..in my opinion.

For those of you who are so upset by these spelling errors..I suggest you just don't read the post..and move on.... or you could have the attitude of some who express that they cannot understand a post and kindly ask the the poster to edit.

edit on 31-8-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

[color=7DFF93]Here & [color=82B8FF]Here

&

repeated hypocrisy........displayed throughout this thread.

Go back and read your own posts. Try to look at them from a different perspective. Read those posts as if they had been written by someone else, other than yourself.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Ok..went back and read them as if I was someone else..

Honestly.... all I could think was how much I agree with what gabby said...and it was frustrating I couldn't star her .

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
OK, there is some underlying issues here. For accuracy purposes, the OP would have to establish that good grammar is the only litmus test for intellect. I mean he could have just said that he was annoyed about it with out trying to say its about intelligence. The thread seems a bit self serving. Intelligence can be measures in more ways then one.
For example, I would argue that a person could be a prodigy mathematician while at the same time not be able to write grammatically correct.
There is a clear lack of tolerance here. If accuracy is your thing, a site with a more scientific approach to their threads might be a better spot to do your reading. There is a definite lack of accuracy around here in so many ways.
Its not like this is the English Lit blog at Harvard. Its a public web site with a very diverse fallowing. Its the equivalent of having a pet peeve about people eating french fries with ketchup and then saying that they have a poor culinary pallet. Its really just comes down to perspective and where you stand. Which is why this kind of thread belongs in the rant section. It only tells us about the OP's opinion fallowed by the perspective of others.

Also, writing correctly is not something that stays with you without practice. For some of us its been a long time since high school. I had a much better grasp of correct writing skills when I was 15 then I do now.

In my opinion, the real issue here is not whether or not the use of these words are used correctly, or if the site members are intelligent. It is, should we worry about the correct usage of these words on this site.

If you demand perfection from an imperfect world, you will never find happiness.

edit on 31-8-2011 by WhatKnot because: Wanted to add an idea

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
everyone has their own pet peeves
no one expects perfection from everything

the OP has a right to complain about things that bother them
and others have the right to disagree with the OP

we won't fix the world by correcting anyones spelling
but we won't fix the world anyway except by passing along our good habits to our children
that COULD start with proper language skills

but it would only be a start
and it might be too late anyway

stop taking rant threads so seriously
at the very least, they serve to isolate the insults
its the insults that really get to me
spelling be damned

would you rather the OP have this discussion here or in the middle of your very important, world fixing thread?

and I forgot all about TO and TOO

TOO annoying!!!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

stop taking rant threads so seriously at the very least, they serve to isolate the insults its the insults that really get to me spelling be damned

Maybe the Op needs to quit taking the wrong use of "you're and your" so seriously?

His op insulted the intelligence of those who may make the mistake..but that insult is fine with you?

I get called a hypocrite for speaking out..but yet you can encourage another member to keep insulting me ..( you typed "keep on with the gabby rant") ...yet you say its the insults that really get to you?

I hope you understand why your post confuses me..and seems very hypocritical.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

or just post 10 more times

WE HEARD YOU
WE GET IT

continue on with your argument

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

or just post 10 more times WE HEARD YOU WE GET IT

Obviously you don't if you continue to post how much you hate insults..yet the op has a right to his insults..cause after all it is a rant..

Nice video..by the way..for someone who professes to hate insults..and started a whole thread on it....

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I was really trying not to get into it with you, and I still am.

Please be advised this is a RANT SECTION

all other comments I make are in reference to ATS sections

This conversation should be had here. Not there.
And you practically live in BTS, and you are one of the ones my rant was about.

My first encounter of you was a 2 line post. One of which was "are you an idiot?"

cause you know, the QUESTION mark makes it OK

P.S. I'm a hypocrite, absolutely
I'm not going to lie about it - its a double standard
thats just the way it is.

I'm also a natural troll
I do not do what I do with nefarious intent
I just say it like it is - for that I'm called a troll - so I might as well embrace it

I have no false beliefs that I am superior
edit on 31-8-2011 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

P.S. I'm a hypocrite, absolutely I'm not going to lie about it - its a double standard thats just the way it is.

That is exactly how I feel about myself...

My first encounter of you was a 2 line post. One of which was "are you an idiot?"

Might be an idea to add a link..so I can see why ..If ..I indeed said those words.

P.S. I'm a hypocrite, absolutely I'm not going to lie about it - its a double standard thats just the way it is.

So its ok for you to have the double standard.. ?? ..But others not so much?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

when did I even address you
FFS - its like you came here to fight and I'm the only one here so you're attacking me
go find someone else to harrass

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join