It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people have such a hard time with "your" and "you're"?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

I love it! I believe I'll go watch that movie now. Always liked the part where they open fire in the theater.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
Why would you bully and intimidate the weaker spellers anyhow??

You lost me at this point. Fair is fair, but to somehow equate it to "bullying" is ridiculous. It's just a ignorant as Al Gore trying to twist people who don't believe in man-made global warming as "racists".

I can understand someone screwing it up, if their primary language isn't English. However, there is no excuse otherwise. Is it really that much to expect people to make a little bit of effort when posting, and make sure they make an attempt at doing it right? Would you let if fly with your kids? If you were an educator, would you think it's acceptable?

I'm not going to stoop to the level of making it personal. If I were bullying someone, I'd reply to them individually and actually "bully" them. I don't know what the color of the sky is in the world you live, but in mine it's blue and the reality is, it makes the person look bad. Obviously there are people that don't care. That is their prerogative. Personally, I think the mediocrity of today's society is leading us down a path toward "Idiocracy", and it's why the quality of everything these days is so piss poor. Nobody cares.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Witch word someone choses two right in not as important as the point their trying too make. Get it? If someone has important information to bring to the table, I don't care how they spell as long as I understand what they are saying. Stop being so petty.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

It's just a ignorant as Al Gore trying to twist people who don't believe in man-made global warming as "racists".

It is not nearly as ignorant as folks trying to perpetuate the myth man is not responsible for climate change and ozone depletion so they can make sure Al Gore doesn't make a dime. If that isn't shooting yourself in the foot, biting your nose off to spite your ugly face (and I mean this figuratively of course) I don't know what is.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I can understand someone screwing it up, if their primary language isn't English. However, there is no excuse otherwise. Is it really that much to expect people to make a little bit of effort when posting, and make sure they make an attempt at doing it right? Would you let if fly with your kids? If you were an educator, would you think it's acceptable?

Funny you should mention that..because I did have a few battles over spelling with my son when I was editing his school work.. I Insisted on proper spelling ,while he yelled back that the teachers didn't care ,as long as you wrote.

After a few of these battles I went to the teacher..who explained that in creative writing they had started to encourage free flowing writing more than getting hung up on spelling. Many students were taking this as a reason to not pay attention to grammar and spelling in other areas of writing.

I do think spelling and grammar matter , but at some point you can't play "teacher" any more, and have to accept how people communicate , if you want to communicate with them.

I'm assuming the members on here really don't need the "spelling " police... but I realize that it is important to you, and you have a right to feel that way.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

Well, you're not anyone's Mother or Father.
So, Why are you so worried about it?

But you read rants for fun!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by spav5
Your gonna get flamed.

You're thread is going to be combed and and multiple errors found.

Better to be silent and thought a fool.

You do not need to be a scientist to know that fire burns. You can be aware of problems and offer help, even if you are yourself, not perfect.

It's odd how if someone cannot ride a bike and is helped by a neighbour, it is seen as a kindness. But if you dare try to help someone with their English, they take it as an act of WAR, blast you with their typ-edos and eventually sink your ship with a barrage of "i dun care!"'s.

edit on 29/8/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
reply to post by gabby2011

You told me!

Fin, I's gonuh gets me a lif now an knot worrie abowt it.

Why would you bully and intimidate the weaker spellers anyhow?? To make yourself feel more intelligent?

I want them to know that I for one don't give a crap about the spelling ,and I want them to share their thoughts, because they are still valuable.

You want to make fun of them,and try to act superior..well guess what...you're not superior ..and..oh yeah..you're not funny either.

You know what this is like?

This is like the parent who doesn't encourage their child to improve, even when they're fully aware of how much potential he has. I mean, seriously, there comes a point when you're going to have to stop piggy-backing everyone. The government does just fine doing that without your help.

Bullying? Is that what this has come to? I never really correct anyone who makes these mistakes because I know what the point they're making is, but if no one ever steps in and says, "but that's wrong," then they will just continue to make errors for the rest of their lives.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I dun care at all about weather or not people use correct grammar on the internetz.
the fact that you do is hilarious; it's pathetic really. Oh, and I usually use the correct form of a word. But it is so lame to call people out on it.
If you can't tell what they are trying to say, you're probably not as smart as you think you're.

Unless they say "your stupid,", or any variation. Then you should make fun of them to the max.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Yeah, think the OP needs to take a chill pill, surely he could come up with a better topic with all that supposed intelligence.

On a side note I have more of a laugh when the many ATS'ers say "I could care less" when they're obviously trying to say "I couldnt care less".

edit on 29-8-2011 by Haxsaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Personally I think it is because everyone is more interested in America's Got Talent than getting a good edjumacation.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Okay someone already made a thread about this last week.

This forum is used by people all over the world. English isn't the world's primary language mein fuhrer.

It gets on my nerves too, but you've got to get over it.

Life is 2 short...

edit on 30-8-2011 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Someone replied to me the other day:
"your a idiot" lmao

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

if this is one of your major pet peeves in life ....

you need to do more living!

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
it's not really a pet peeve of mine, but I will admit that even though you should always read what someone has to say, unless English isn't your first language, there really isn't a reason or an excuse to mispell anything. I've always had good spelling skills because I started reading at a young age and could figure out the proper spelling of big words. I know we make mistakes but how can you expect anyone to take your message seriously if you misspell every other word you type? yes, schools and parents are to blame at times, but it's your responsibility as a person with a brain and common sense to correct your mistakes.
I think it's important to not lose the basics of what makes us intelligent, yes, spelling should be included in what measures intelligence since communication through words is what we learn first and we valued it then, so why not value it always? what IS a pet peeve of mine is when a person constantly misspells something or uses a word incorrectly and you politely correct them and they say "whatever." -________- lol
misspelled words bother me so much, usually only when I do it though!

Thanks for reading

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I made a little post about this a little while ago.

It annoys me too but you have to laugh a little.

10 words you need to stop misspelling

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Just because people spell a certain way has nothing to do with their intelligence. Spelling or grammar is a product of the language everyone speaks. It's the language's rules. Because someone doesn't follow them to the 'T' doesn't necessarily mean they're stupid.

Sometimes people get so caught up into their own thoughts they just don't think about the minor stuff. In time I think peoples grammar will improve. After all, the internet and expressing ones opinions is still relatively new. Sure, it's been out for more than 10 years, but there are still people out there whom do not own a computer yet. The popularity of the digital age is still on the rise. Once everyone has a means and practices more and more they will get better. Best thing to do is give them time, not discourage. Let them figure out on their own. After all we are all part of this human race, or should I say, journey. We all make mistakes in some area or another.

Before this digital age people did not have to use grammar as much. Not your everyday citizen anyway. Times are changing, people will follow. It's not that they're dumb, they just need time to adjust. And if they don't, it's not the rules of language we should let blur the idea of their thoughts. It's the message itself that's important.

Everyone excels in something, is mediocre in many areas, and struggles with few things. Once the whole of society sees this and shines positive light on it, we will be on our way. But, the way things are now, everyone finds a persons weak spot and shines the light on it. This is what the media does every day. This is how we view our peers every day. It should be the opposite.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Well, we live in the age of the text where brevity is king and grammar /spelling have very much taken a back seat.
Welcome to the newspeak dictionary,3rd Edition.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

You know what this is like? This is like the parent who doesn't encourage their child to improve, even when they're fully aware of how much potential he has. I mean, seriously, there comes a point when you're going to have to stop piggy-backing everyone. The government does just fine doing that without your help. Bullying? Is that what this has come to? I never really correct anyone who makes these mistakes because I know what the point they're making is, but if no one ever steps in and says, "but that's wrong," then they will just continue to make errors for the rest of their lives.
reply to post by Lionhearte

C'mon..give me a break... these are NOT are children on here..and I find the constant berating of spelling a bit tedious after awhile. You really think some self righteous pointing of the finger is really going to help ?

The fact is there has been at least 4 threads started on this from the time I've been here (a short time) ..and obviously the ones that misspell are still making errors...so there goes your theory that if someone doesn't tell them... they will just continue doing it wrong.

Also the way these mistakes are pointed out is often done with cruel jibes to the intelligence of these members which does nothing for their self esteem and desire to learn the correct way.

By the way, I'm not piggy backing anyone , and I find your reference to such ..offensive. I merely stated that I don't care about the spelling so much ..as I do about reading the post.

edit on 30-8-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

It's odd how if someone cannot ride a bike and is helped by a neighbour, it is seen as a kindness. But if you dare try to help someone with their English, they take it as an act of WAR, blast you with their typ-edos and eventually sink your ship with a barrage of "i dun care!"'s.
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

Helping someone learn to ride a bike is a far different cry than berating someone on an international website for spelling wrong. If your neighbor does not know how to ride a bike..do you stand outside your house and shout to all the neighbors that he is an idiot because he can't ride a bike....because that would be a better analogy to what is happening on this board.

Perhaps the people that so "kindly" want to help..as you put it..should send a u2u with some grammar rules instead of starting a whole thread to jump on these people. There is nothing kind about that teaching method.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join