It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people have such a hard time with "your" and "you're"?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
It's a pet peeve of mine. I get tired of reading people who claim to be intelligent, yet can't seem to figure out the difference between "your" and "you're". Other words that seem to make these same geniuses stumble are "there", "their" and "they're". "Weather" and "whether" are also swapped around from time to time.

Has the education system failed so badly that people can't understand the difference between these words? I'm sure there are other words being butchered, but I just read three posts which all had "your correct" or similar misspellings.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Your stupid.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Well, you're not anyone's Mother or Father.
So, Why are you so worried about it?

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

Amen! I was waiting for that one....hehehe.

2nd

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I've asked this same question and the best response I got was "I'm too lazy to type it out". Seriously......to lazy to type an apostrophe and an "e". It's a huge peeve of mine, as well. Unless the person says "your stupid".....then it just makes me laugh.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I know what "you're" talking about. I think communication has just become so quick and instant that grammar and spelling sort of take a back seat. I am guilty of making some of these mistakes myself at times.

I feel like it's more of a lack of caring than a lack of intelligence, though certainly it could be both sometimes. Through repetitive not caring, it becomes habit.

It's not like people are writing a book here. Just a quick post on the internet, though yea, I get it, it can be annoying and doesn't give a good impression of the author.
edit on 29-8-2011 by sageofmonticello because: lol, figured I should change then to than, lol

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Your gonna get flamed.

You're thread is going to be combed and and multiple errors found.

Better to be silent and thought a fool.

Before you say anything..of course I know the difference.

Peace

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Because it is a snapshot into how lazy people have become, and just how piss poor the education system is. I just find it ironic when people try and pass themselves off as intelligent, then turn around and transpose those words. It's pathetic. Ultimately, I don't really care because it just means that they're probably just as stupid outside the forums, so they probably will never compete with me for a job. However, I don't like the fact my tax dollars might be going to feed them.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by spav5

Excellent! We're not talking about ending a word with a preposition. We're talking about common spelling that should be in the vocabulary of anyone capable of using a computer to post on a forum. Then again, maybe I expect more from "experts" and "all knowing" people. Maybe? Nahhhhhhh.

I agree with another poster, I think it's just laziness.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

You know how tiring these rants are over "you're and your" ,and other spelling errors ?

I mean if you can't read understand what the message is anyhow, then maybe you shouldn't be on a site reading.

There are people who absentmindedly overlook the silly errors , but still are intelligent ,and I for one want to read what they have to add to a thread.

What I don't want to read another thread about is how someone can go into "rant" mode over the words "you're and your".

GET A LIFE !!!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
It's pretty sad when you have a jobsite full of grown men who make nice wages and they all type, write, and spell like they barely finished elementary school.

And they had the nerve to call other people stupid all the time.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

You told me!

Fin, I's gonuh gets me a lif now an knot worrie abowt it.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The truly intelligent people don't equate spelling and grammar with intelligence... Nor is cleaning the teacher's eraser or monitoring the hall.

Peace

My bad..was not intended as a response to you.
Well it was in response to you..but intended to quote from another post. Peace

edit on 29-8-2011 by spav5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-8-2011 by spav5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
reply to post by GmoS719

Because it is a snapshot .......

I know it's not a hard fast rule of grammar, it is just to prevent sentence structure mistakes BUT my teacher always told me not to start a sentence with "Because" lol, just giving you the business, no hard feelings here. I agree with your OP.

link   
I personally think that a lot of the time people's fingers on their keyboards just move faster than their brains. Besides, if someone has to tell you how "intelligent" they are chances are that they aren't as intelligent as they believe themselves to be!

link   

AMEN! I remember a time, before texting & posting on BBs, when folks would actually be embarrassed at grammar and/or spelling mistakes. Now it seems the people pointing out the problems get berated. I've been fighting a war on the lose/loose front myself for years with plenty of posters..yet I am always deemed the d-bag.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Know it may seem to be a little pedantic but I agree with you.
Another more recent annoyance is the misuse of "to" and "too".

Ah well. Won't let it annoy me...
Just eating me inside as I quietly think "retard" every time I see someone unable to construct the most simple of sentence fragments.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I mean really it gets the damn point across. so who gives a damn.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
reply to post by gabby2011

You told me!

Fin, I's gonuh gets me a lif now an knot worrie abowt it.

Why would you bully and intimidate the weaker spellers anyhow?? To make yourself feel more intelligent?

I want them to know that I for one don't give a crap about the spelling ,and I want them to share their thoughts, because they are still valuable.

You want to make fun of them,and try to act superior..well guess what...you're not superior ..and..oh yeah..you're not funny either.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
You seem to be the one having the hard time with "your" and "you're". Isn't this "yer" second post about this? Are you really getting all worked up trying to figuring out the sentences either way? Everyone else seems to be able to grasp what is being conveyed no matter how its presented without freaking out. Plus, I don't recall seeing anything about proper usage of your on this site. "Yor" ridiculous!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join